Fall 2017 Canadian University Computer Science Thread

guitarHeroAn

Hi Guys! 

I don't know if this is the right place to put this thread in, but I couldn't find any similar thread anywhere. So here it goes!

All the Masters/PhD in Computer Science people who applied in Canadian universities converge here! Share your heart out, how you're dealing with the stress of waiting it out (Canadian universities are super late in sending decisions). Last I heard, SFU and UWaterloo extended their deadlines to February 15 and February 28! Man this is gonna take even more time!!! 

Edited by trane293

• 2 weeks later...

On 23/02/2017 at 8:11 PM, phdhopeful1995 said:

I applied to UBC, University of Toronto, and University of Alberta (ML area). I still have not heard anything from them though. Quite anxious.

Same here. Complete silence from all the universities that I've applied to. I am thinking now probably March is going to be the month of decisions. 

13 hours ago, Prajwal Krishna said:

I have applied to Regina,Ryerson,Alberta,Queen's,Lakehead and Windsor ........ Application portals have update application status to "UNDER REVIEW-Coming soon"

These universities should be able to send out decisions earlier depending upon when did you apply. I applied everywhere by the end of November and have been waiting ever since..

On 23/02/2017 at 8:11 PM, phdhopeful1995 said:

I applied to UBC, University of Toronto, and University of Alberta (ML area). I still have not heard anything from them though. Quite anxious.

Same 3 for me too! UBC seems to give out decisions extremely late though :<

16 hours ago, Lalbadshah said:

Same 3 for me too! UBC seems to give out decisions extremely late though :<

I already see few UBC acceptances in the Gradcafe result page.

I personally know one person who already got accepted to UBC Master program back in January (He is an international applicant).

That's why I don't know whether no news is good news or not at this point.

Edited by phdhopeful1995

6 hours ago, phdhopeful1995 said:

I already see few UBC acceptances in the Gradcafe result page.

I personally know one person who already got accepted to UBC Master program back in January (He is an international applicant).

That's why I don't know whether no news is good news or not at this point.

From the previous years results you can see that they send out mass rejects around May. So no news may be bad... However, they do start their evaluation pretty late as well so I suspect that they just started with the process recently. A little early to lose hope!

McGill sending out rejects as they are reviewing applications. Couple of people in my connections got rejected. No word on acceptances though, maybe they are saving it for the last. Anyways SFU says they just started with the review process and they got like 1500 applications for this fall so it's going to take some time. They'll send decision by May 1st, and advised to check portal during that time. What a bummer. Meanwhile UBC, UofT, and Waterloo in complete silence. 

Applied to Waterloo, Alberta, Calgary, Victoria, Saskatchewan and Mcmaster, haven't heard a word from anywhere except interviews from 2 places in around mid Feb. Highly Anxious. 

1 hour ago, Lalbadshah said:

UBC is currently sending out rejects....

You think? How? Even I have a friend who got rejected from there, but she had some issue with payment getting void so I attributed the reject to that. Do you know people who got rejected from UBC? What was their profile?

39 minutes ago, phdhopeful1995 said:

Which two schools did you have interviews with ?

Waterloo and Calgary, haven't heard anything from them as well, all silence.

19 hours ago, guitarHeroAn said:

You think? How? Even I have a friend who got rejected from there, but she had some issue with payment getting void so I attributed the reject to that. Do you know people who got rejected from UBC? What was their profile?

Check this -> LINK. Most profiles are not particularly great, but the fact that they received decision responses just goes to show that application evaluation is underway.

Just saw someone posted acceptance of Calgary at this hour, I wonder how come anyone get such an email at 3AM? Has anyone here witnessed any correspondence outside of office hours?

6 minutes ago, smfz said:

Just saw someone posted acceptance of Calgary at this hour, I wonder how come anyone get such an email at 3AM? Has anyone here witnessed any correspondence outside of office hours?

USC does this a lot, I'm guessing they schedule the server to send out these mails when the load on their servers is the least. That or they are really hardworking:unsure:

On 3/10/2017 at 10:39 PM, phdhopeful1995 said:

I see more acceptances for the Master program of Alberta. I am very anxious now. I really want to get into the University of Alberta. 

My application for Alberta is definitely under review, because someone contacted and asked me to fill a supplementary form, which was "necessary to fill before my application could be put up for review". That was like a week ago, needless to say the anxiety makes me check the portal 10+ times a day.

7 minutes ago, Lalbadshah said:

My application for Alberta is definitely under review, because someone contacted and asked me to fill a supplementary form, which was "necessary to fill before my application could be put up for review". That was like a week ago, needless to say the anxiety makes me check the portal 10+ times a day.

Similar email was received by one of my friends too. Think its a clear indicator things are currently (sluggishly albeit) moving forward at UAlberta. I didn't apply there though...

13 minutes ago, Lalbadshah said:

So what was your status on portal before submitting that form? is that pending, or under review?