Fall 2017 Waitlist Thread

OptimiscallyAnxious

On 4/6/2017 at 1:13 PM, schizometric said:

I was amazed at how difficult it was to turn down an offer. It really twisted me up inside. I think the better the program and faculty are, the harder it is to let go, even when you have selected what you believe to be the program for you. I never thought about this while selecting programs to apply to. 

What made it a little easier was seeing the person who got the spot I released express their excitement on the results board. That was awesome!

D: I don't think I'll ever be able to totally rationalize the choice I made. I can still imagine myself learning so much and meeting so many amazing people at both programs. It's hard to give one path up when you want both experiences because you know they'll be incredible. I'm happy with my decision but simultaneously so envious of whoever goes to the program I didn't choose.

I am still waiting to hear on three counseling psychology PhD programs where I was wait-listed. Anyone heard anything about wait-list changes for University of Denver, Fordham University, or Marquette University??? Any updates would be appreciated!

@currentlypsychoanalyzing I'm sorry to learn about Suffolk! If it helps, I am graduating this year with my MS in mental health counseling and work in the counseling office. The psych department has been increasingly unstable and undergoing requirement changes, as least at the master's level. It's an extremely frustrating time to be starting here. Anywhere you end up going will at least have stability and a consistent president! Best of luck. 

2 hours ago, phdcalling said:

After waiting for what seems like an eternity...today I was officially accepted off the waitlist to my first choice, which is the University of Georgia! I am so excited!

Congratulations!!!!

Just got rejected by my #2 school. The downside of applying locally is the small margin of errors available. One school left to me, and I was wait listed in April. If/when I get rejected, I'll devour a pack of American Spirits to mitigate the emotional pain. Spread that love all around!

23 hours ago, phdcalling said:

After waiting for what seems like an eternity...today I was officially accepted off the waitlist to my first choice, which is the University of Georgia! I am so excited!

CONGRATS!!!! Ah I love it when people get matched with their first choice professors.

11 minutes ago, Sherrinford said:

I thought it was all done and dusted and I was prepared to apply again this Fall, but I got accepted into my top choice (Binghamton U.) off the waitlist. 

I wish the best of luck to everyone here! 

Congratulations on your acceptance!

14 minutes ago, Sherrinford said:

I thought it was all done and dusted and I was prepared to apply again this Fall, but I got accepted into my top choice (Binghamton U.) off the waitlist. 

Awesome! Congrats!

1 hour ago, dormcat said:

First you have to get through the stressful process of being a PhD student ;) 

In my brain, I have already fast forwarded a year and have passed all of my examinations. Next week, I will believe that I have already graduated haha. 

58 minutes ago, Sherrinford said:

YEAHHHH!!! Congratulations!

On 4/14/2017 at 9:02 PM, Sherrinford said:

This just gave me hope. Thank you and congrats!

Got my final rejection email. No luck this application cycle. Got an email from the director of one of my schools telling me I had a strong application but the competition was too stiff this year. No clue if I'll apply in the future. But hey, them's the breaks. Best of luck for everyone else waiting to hear back! 

• 1 month later...
On 4/18/2017 at 1:21 AM, Necrovex said:

Got my final rejection email. No luck this application cycle. Got an email from the director of one of my schools telling me I had a strong application but the competition was too stiff this year. No clue if I'll apply in the future. But hey, them's the breaks. Best of luck for everyone else waiting to hear back! 

Horrible though it may appear to be right now, it is definitely not the end of the world. 

From the little that I understand of the process, a lot of it is based on luck. You could strike out one year and totally ace it the next. 

If you feel this is the direction you would want your life to head in, I would strongly urge you to give it another shot next year. Plan your attack and give it everything you have. You never know - you might well land your dream school and have everything fall into place!

Good luck!