Fall 2017 Waitlist Thread

OptimiscallyAnxious

2 hours ago, Sherrinford said:

Well, just got rejected (was on the waitlist) by my last school. Guess it means one of the people offered admission accepted. 

At least this horrific process is over for now and I have a few months reprieve before beginning it all again. 

I'm sorry, but I wish you all the very best of luck on your application cycle next year. I'm sure you've learned a lot through the process this time around to help you with your future applications. 

2 hours ago, OptimiscallyAnxious said:

I'm sorry, but I wish you all the very best of luck on your application cycle next year. I'm sure you've learned a lot through the process this time around to help you with your future applications. 

Thank you so much! I absolutely did, hopefully the outcome is different next time haha. 

10 hours ago, Sherrinford said:

Well, just got rejected (was on the waitlist) by my last school. Guess it means one of the people offered admission accepted. 

At least this horrific process is over for now and I have a few months reprieve before beginning it all again. 

If the process is really tiring for you, perhaps consider applying two years from now, rather than one! When I applied three years ago, I only got one waitlist (Cornell) and one fly-in interview (Iowa). I felt like my prospects weren't going to be that much more amazing after one year, so I decided to just keep my head down and work hard on my research for the next two years, and I made my dreams come true this time, as well as making a few friends and mentors who were really rooting for me this cycle.

35 minutes ago, eeepsych13 said:

I was accepted off the waitlist at University of South Florida for Clinical Psychology. So excited! Still waiting to hear back from my number 1 choice (where I am high on the waitlist), but I loved USF's program :)

Congratulations and thank you for sharing the wonderful news. 

1 hour ago, eeepsych13 said:

I was accepted off the waitlist at University of South Florida for Clinical Psychology. So excited! Still waiting to hear back from my number 1 choice (where I am high on the waitlist), but I loved USF's program :)

Congrats, man! Waiting on USF myself for their school psychology program. High on the wait list so I'm slightly hopeful. Good to see someone there is moving on up!

6 minutes ago, Necrovex said:

Congrats, man! Waiting on USF myself for their school psychology program. High on the wait list so I'm slightly hopeful. Good to see someone there is moving on up!

Thanks very much! Crossing my fingers for you :) USF is an awesome school.

1 hour ago, vstrindberg said:

What is a waitlist? Portal says my application is under review. Is it counted in waitlist?

Waitlist means that the committee has reviewed your application and they've put you on a list of "alternates." If someone they've offered admission to declines the offer, then they turn to the waitlist to pick the next eligible applicant.

If your application is under review, it could mean a number of things, but I wouldn't assume that you've been waitlisted unless the department tells you that specifically.

26 minutes ago, That Research Lady said:

This wait gets increasingly harder every day. I feel like I'm being dramatic but maybe this is a shared experience ? Other posters' good fortune is giving me hope though!

I feel you... I spent my time coming up with a Plan B, getting excited about other options besides grad school, looking at apartments in my current city to get excited about staying here, looking at conferences coming up, thinking about research ideas in my current lab for pubs/posters, etc... This made the wait SO much easier, to the point where I was so ready and convinced I was going to apply again. However, I diiiiid almost broke down last night over stress and waiting...so I understand.

Hang in there. It's rough but if you're waitlisted places, you're already a competitive candidate and keep that in mind. You're not being dramatic because choosing to go to graduate school means you're passionate about your studies and the rest of your life! Best of luck to you!

2 hours ago, eeepsych13 said:

I feel you... I spent my time coming up with a Plan B, getting excited about other options besides grad school, looking at apartments in my current city to get excited about staying here, looking at conferences coming up, thinking about research ideas in my current lab for pubs/posters, etc... This made the wait SO much easier, to the point where I was so ready and convinced I was going to apply again. However, I diiiiid almost broke down last night over stress and waiting...so I understand.

Hang in there. It's rough but if you're waitlisted places, you're already a competitive candidate and keep that in mind. You're not being dramatic because choosing to go to graduate school means you're passionate about your studies and the rest of your life! Best of luck to you!

I've been waitlisted at Temple clinical psych as a first alternate since mid January. Every day I have thought today will be the day. I have a feeling this painful process will drag out until April 17th. So exhausted. 

14 hours ago, Psych_hopeful said:

I've been waitlisted at Temple clinical psych as a first alternate since mid January. Every day I have thought today will be the day. I have a feeling this painful process will drag out until April 17th. So exhausted. 

I was waitlisted there, too! But my PI's offer was already accepted so I at least had some finality. 

I loved Temple, though, and it is an awesome program. Perhaps the other individual is waitlisted elsewhere and is waiting for that offer before accepting Temple? If that's the case, I hope you both get accepted to your top programs. Wishing you the best of luck!

1 hour ago, eeepsych13 said:

I was waitlisted there, too! But my PI's offer was already accepted so I at least had some finality. 

I loved Temple, though, and it is an awesome program. Perhaps the other individual is waitlisted elsewhere and is waiting for that offer before accepting Temple? If that's the case, I hope you both get accepted to your top programs. Wishing you the best of luck!

Ah thank you! Trying to remain optimistic 

23 hours ago, That Research Lady said:

This wait gets increasingly harder every day. I feel like I'm being dramatic but maybe this is a shared experience ? Other posters' good fortune is giving me hope though!

I am on the same boat. My PI made an offer to another person months ago and put me on wait-list in mid-February; I check my email all the time waiting for an update! It's becoming increasingly more stressful for me as we get closer.

I know this isn't techinically a waitlist post... but has anyone heard from East Tennessee state experimental program? I've heard nothing. I've not seen any posts either and it's super late in the game! I've called and emailed and both times I was told the program has not yet made decisions... wtf? Why would they wait sooo long. 

1 hour ago, Psychapplica said:

I know this isn't techinically a waitlist post... but has anyone heard from East Tennessee state experimental program? I've heard nothing. I've not seen any posts either and it's super late in the game! I've called and emailed and both times I was told the program has not yet made decisions... wtf? Why would they wait sooo long. 

That is really odd. The deadline to make decisions is in only 2 weeks! Maybe you're waitlisted and they're trying to be vague about it?

1 hour ago, metalpsychperson said:

That is really odd. The deadline to make decisions is in only 2 weeks! Maybe you're waitlisted and they're trying to be vague about it?

It's possible, but the grad program said they were meeting to review applicants at the end of February if I remember correctly. Then nothing... This is the last program I'm waiting to hear from, and I was super excited about one of the POI's research. This process makes me a little skeptical about the program. ?

2 hours ago, metalpsychperson said:

I think that's what's happening to me with one school. After interviewing in late January, I've been in contact with the POI over e-mail about the lab and possible research projects. Followed up and was told "your application is still under consideration" once at the end of February, and again a few days ago (both times saying "hope to know more in the coming week or two"). The late February response was understandable, but now there is literally a couple weeks left. I have an offer from somewhere else with a fellowship (no TA/RA duties and larger stipend) for the first year where if I accept by this coming week I can get the fellowship extended to cover my second year, so I'd rather not wait until 4/15 or close to it to make a decision. The problem is I'd be much happier location-wise at the school that's stringing me along.

That's a tough decision! Have you tried calling the administrative assistants for that department? These individuals usually know where faculty are in the process and you won't have to feel that you're bugging your POI... although in your case you may need to explain the situation. Your future is important! I wish you all the luck and congrats on such an offer ?

Edited by Psychapplica

16 hours ago, Psychapplica said:

My portal for UIC just got updated I think two days ago! For months my status was something like "under departmental review" and they didn't even respond to an email I sent around two weeks ago. So as odd as your situation might be, it's not the only one! Hope you hear back soon.  

I am waiting on a decision letter from Georgia Tech (PhD, ... Psychology). Until late last week the status was "to Dept. for review". It was finally changed to "Dept. Decision Made" but I still don't have a decision letter. A large part of me has accepted that this means I was rejected, but the dragging on with no official decision has me also ready to consider that perhaps I was on a waitlist. I contacted someone else who applied and they confirmed that their status was changed and they already received a rejection letter as of 7-10 days ago.

So now I'm asking for input and discerning judgement. Is it safe to say that I'm rejected and that I need to move on to whatever may be next?

56 minutes ago, mutualist007 said:

I am waiting on a decision letter from Georgia Tech (PhD, ... Psychology). Until late last week the status was "to Dept. for review". It was finally changed to "Dept. Decision Made" but I still don't have a decision letter. A large part of me has accepted that this means I was rejected, but the dragging on with no official decision has me also ready to consider that perhaps I was on a waitlist. I contacted someone else who applied and they confirmed that their status was changed and they already received a rejection letter as of 7-10 days ago.

So now I'm asking for input and discerning judgement. Is it safe to say that I'm rejected and that I need to move on to whatever may be next?

If it were me, I'd assume rejection as well because I'd think that if it were an acceptance, I would have been personally contacted by the POI already. :/ But you never know, miracles could happen. Best of luck!!