Playwriting MFAs

dampka

19 minutes ago, zayzay said:

I got an interview request for Iowa last night at like 10pm EST (very honored and surprised by the timing) and will be having my interview via phone at noon today. I am so amazed and thankful to this forum. Any interview tips? Nervous and excited!

Hey! I also heard from Lisa at Iowa yesterday and spoke with her this morning! It was a lovely, really laid back conversation – mostly just chatting about why I was interested in Iowa, and why grad school right now. She told me a lot about the program – including about the financials & teaching opportunities – and I asked a bunch of questions. You will do great! 

1 hour ago, zayzay said:

I got an interview request for Iowa last night at like 10pm EST (very honored and surprised by the timing) and will be having my interview via phone at noon today. I am so amazed and thankful to this forum. Any interview tips? Nervous and excited!

Congrats!!!  I'm bummed not to have heard from Iowa, but having followed your journey on here, so excited for you!

Hi friends. Full disclosure: I've been a little absent this week because I started to sense things weren't going to blow my way on the grad school front, on top of several professional stumbling blocks that all just piled up in one huge mess. (It's been a week, folks. Trust me.) I'd be lying if I said I'm not disappointed, frustrated, and a little bamboozled, but I also know I'm not the only one in this boat, so before I depart like air from this forum until (likely) next year, I want to give a quick shout out to everyone who either a. didn't get an interview, b. doesn't feel great about their interview, c. did get an interview and ends up being waitlisted/rejected (not to put bad omens in the air). Despite another wipeout season for me, barring any potential but unlikely dark horse, I still believe everything I was saying a few pages back about optimism and liberation. I can tell you that the thought of being free from having to sit in anxiety any longer has brought a lot of relief; I can finally write again and work toward my looming deadline! Not that I would have preferred it this way, but I'm making it out of this without feeling too badly about myself. So I'll take it. 

Anyhow, congrats to all for making it even this far in this genuinely traumatizing process. Write, workshop, and get it out there. :) 

Honored, moved, and overwhelmed that I was officially accepted into Iowa today. I turn 22 next week and this is my very first year applying to MFA, so I had no idea what to expect. This process is, as we all know, incredibly difficult. And I celebrate all of you for embarking on this journey. I'd like to echo what was said in the previous post in saying that we all have reason to celebrate because we all have survived this process. There is still some waiting to be done, but I am so thankful for all of you and am sending you all amazing vibes. I started writing plays on my bedroom floor at eleven years old and it just means so much to have arrived here. Love you guys! 

10 hours ago, space94 said:

Hi friends. Full disclosure: I've been a little absent this week because I started to sense things weren't going to blow my way on the grad school front, on top of several professional stumbling blocks that all just piled up in one huge mess. (It's been a week, folks. Trust me.) I'd be lying if I said I'm not disappointed, frustrated, and a little bamboozled, but I also know I'm not the only one in this boat, so before I depart like air from this forum until (likely) next year, I want to give a quick shout out to everyone who either a. didn't get an interview, b. doesn't feel great about their interview, c. did get an interview and ends up being waitlisted/rejected (not to put bad omens in the air). Despite another wipeout season for me, barring any potential but unlikely dark horse, I still believe everything I was saying a few pages back about optimism and liberation. I can tell you that the thought of being free from having to sit in anxiety any longer has brought a lot of relief; I can finally write again and work toward my looming deadline! Not that I would have preferred it this way, but I'm making it out of this without feeling too badly about myself. So I'll take it. 

Anyhow, congrats to all for making it even this far in this genuinely traumatizing process. Write, workshop, and get it out there. :) 

Congratulations on making it to the end. It wasn't an easy journey, but take pride that you've gone through it. Glad to hear you're writing again! I'm looking forward to that release, one way or another.

Take care, and best of luck for the round! ^_^

58 minutes ago, zayzay said:

Honored, moved, and overwhelmed that I was officially accepted into Iowa today. I turn 22 next week and this is my very first year applying to MFA, so I had no idea what to expect. This process is, as we all know, incredibly difficult. And I celebrate all of you for embarking on this journey. I'd like to echo what was said in the previous post in saying that we all have reason to celebrate because we all have survived this process. There is still some waiting to be done, but I am so thankful for all of you and am sending you all amazing vibes. I started writing plays on my bedroom floor at eleven years old and it just means so much to have arrived here. Love you guys! 

OH SHIT! ConGratulations! I hope you're celebrating your ASS off! This is just another step on the journey. Here's to great things on your path! ❤️

Congrats, @zayzay!! That’s really amazing! If I were you, I’d wait a week and then email these programs if you still hear nothing. They should be able to clarify where you’re standing.

Also, don’t know if it’s just me, but I just got the rejection notification from Brown. Figured it was coming since a few people have gotten interview requests, but now it’s official.

5 hours ago, zayzay said:

Thank you everybody! I appreciate the love. Yeah....the thing is I have to make my decision super fast and haven't heard back from Texas or Arizona State. So I'm trying to take some time but I only have a couple of weeks. 

What @Coffee&Flowers said, but also feel free to mention you've gotten an offer so they know you need an answer more urgently than others. 

I heard on DRAFT about Brown, I didn't get an interview either so I'm sitting here like, "Hey, where's my courtesy rejection email?" lol

Hey @zayzay, congratulations! 

A few updates from me. The big one is that I have been accepted to the University of Texas as a Michener Fellow. I am very excited, and I've been on a cloud since I found out. 

I told Hunter & Brown (the other places I interviewed about it), and Julia at Brown told me that while they don't do official wait lists, I am on a shortlist of alternate candidates. Hunter, by contrast, asked me to wait until Tuesday to make a final decision. I saw on the results page that next week is when they hear about funding, so I assume it's related to that. 

I have not been officially rejected from Iowa or UCSD, but I assume that to be the case since offers went out. 

Yesterday, David Henry Hwang told me he loved my play and that he thinks I'm very funny. I finished that interview and received my form rejection from Brown. So grateful the timing wasn't reversed because I got that email and said aloud, "F#ck off, Brown! David Henry Hwang loves my play!"  Now, I'm waiting on the three schools where I've interviewed, waiting on probable rejections from Iowa and UT Austin (STILL!) and waiting for Juilliard.  I am grateful that I've been an actor dealing with this sort of thing for years bc this waiting and drip, drip, drip of information has been agitating to say the least. I am grateful for all of you as well. This message board could've been a lot of sniping and humble bragging, and it's been, instead, a lovely source of support. Congrats to people who know what's up!!! And for the rest of you still waiting, sending you strong energy for these last few days!!!

Hi all! I just have to say--I've been creepin' on this forum for weeks (I applied to Acting MFA programs, not Playwriting), and you folx just have the best energy. It's encouraging to read about results, positive or negative. So thanks for that. The acting thread has been pretty much dead.

Also, pretty jealous that you get to interview with famous playwrights! How humbling. :)

7 hours ago, Dongato said:

Yesterday, David Henry Hwang told me he loved my play and that he thinks I'm very funny. I finished that interview and received my form rejection from Brown. So grateful the timing wasn't reversed because I got that email and said aloud, "F#ck off, Brown! David Henry Hwang loves my play!"  Now, I'm waiting on the three schools where I've interviewed, waiting on probable rejections from Iowa and UT Austin (STILL!) and waiting for Juilliard.  I am grateful that I've been an actor dealing with this sort of thing for years bc this waiting and drip, drip, drip of information has been agitating to say the least. I am grateful for all of you as well. This message board could've been a lot of sniping and humble bragging, and it's been, instead, a lovely source of support. Congrats to people who know what's up!!! And for the rest of you still waiting, sending you strong energy for these last few days!!!

This is amazing! Congrats!

12 hours ago, Bucky Waters said:

Hi all! I just have to say--I've been creepin' on this forum for weeks (I applied to Acting MFA programs, not Playwriting), and you folx just have the best energy. It's encouraging to read about results, positive or negative. So thanks for that. The acting thread has been pretty much dead.

Also, pretty jealous that you get to interview with famous playwrights! How humbling. :)

OMG that's so sweet!!! Like, I feel honored by association XD I've been scared to look at the other creative threads just cause I could only tolerate the anxiety of one at a time XD Thank you! Hope your process is going well!

On Friday I got my acceptance into Hunter and last night my rejection (which was the sweetest, kindest email from Naomi!) from UCSD.

It's such a weird mix to feel both happy and disappointed. I told myself if I was fortunate enough to get into any program this year I'd go, and Hunter is an amazing program and Christine was so welcoming! But I admit I fell in love with UCSD getting to know it and am debating on trying again next year. I can't tell if it's something I'm trying to make happen or if its actually meant to be. The only real downside to Hunter is that it's in NYC and I've been avoiding that city because between the pace and the cold, I don't know if my depression can handle it (hence what I liked about UCSD amongst other things).

Waiting to hear about funding from Hunter and officially hear from Brown, BU, Brooklyn College and Ohio (I did apply to UCLA but haven't heard a thing so it feels like a figment of my imagination lol). I know I'm in a fortunate position to be bitching from, but I'd love some perspective.

16 hours ago, Dongato said:

I'd put that compliment on all my social media accounts, IDK!!! XD But you should celebrate how far you've come, this is awesome! 

I don't act a lot, but this waiting is SO much more heavy than I remember waiting for a callback or casting list lmao

On 3/7/2020 at 9:00 AM, Dongato said:

I have my interview today with Columbia and very nervous.

Does anyone know what the process for the UCLA program is? Eg, interviews or nah...?

I keep (re)realizing that I applied there, lol. It's been silent from their corner, at least for me.

Had a grand old time interviewing with DHH and another member of faculty at Columbia today! They were so lovely. Looking forward to hearing within the week... Whew.

It really is go time for all of these places. Ah! It's enough to drive ya mad.