How to manage different dates of acceptance

Quick question for everyone as I wait to hear from schools. What do you do if you get in somewhere, and they want a deposit, but you haven't even heard from other schools? It occurred to me today that one school I applied to seems to accept people around mid-March, and wants a deposit early April. However, school #2 doesn't send letters until mid-April. And school # 3 not until May! Let's say I get accepted to the first mentioned school, and they want a deposit by early April. How do you deal with/get around that if you haven't even heard from other schools??

Thanks!

Kate

You pay the deposit for the first school that accepts you. Then you wait and make your decision for sure when you hear from all the schools. Its better to know for sure you are going to grad school than to wait and not go at all. You probably like the school because you applied to it. 

You can make a deposit to a school like Speechster said. If you only applied to the three schools you listed, put in a deposit for school 1. They will understand if you need to "take back" your acceptance if another program offers you a spot. Yes, it is not ideal for them and the deposit is supposed to keep us from doing that, but your graduate life is the most important thing and schools understand that. However, you will most likely lose the deposit.

How much do deposits tend to be? That's my concern. I'm fully willing to basically tell them, "Sorry, not coming." I'm the one who's about to pay a school ridiculous amounts of money. My concern is that deposits tend to be non-refundable. What do they average?

You have until April 15th to let a school know that you are coming. You do not need to put your deposit in as soon as you hear. If you are unsure if you will get in other schools,  you can wait until closer to April 15th to pay anyone a deposit.

33 minutes ago, Kate22192 said:

How much do deposits tend to be? That's my concern. I'm fully willing to basically tell them, "Sorry, not coming." I'm the one who's about to pay a school ridiculous amounts of money. My concern is that deposits tend to be non-refundable. What do they average?

I wish I knew more—I just know that my one acceptance requires a $300 deposit. I'm not sure what the average is, though.

I've only received one acceptance so far, so can't speak for all schools, but the deposit for this one school was $500.

I think that what @deblee said is true for most schools, but not all. For example, the school I mentioned above does rolling admissions. They have said both in person and in their acceptance letter to me that once the class is full, it's full. So if you get accepted but wait til April 15 to hear from other schools and all spots are taken, you are put on a priority waitlist and may ultimately not be able to attend. They said that has happened to students before.

If you find yourself in the situation you described, I would call the school that accepted you and confirm that you will not lose your seat if you wait until April 15 to commit/submit a deposit. Just to be safe.

9 minutes ago, ElKel87 said:

I've only received one acceptance so far, so can't speak for all schools, but the deposit for this one school was $500.

I think that what @deblee said is true for most schools, but not all. For example, the school I mentioned above does rolling admissions. They have said both in person and in their acceptance letter to me that once the class is full, it's full. So if you get accepted but wait til April 15 to hear from other schools and all spots are taken, you are put on a priority waitlist and may ultimately not be able to attend. They said that has happened to students before.

If you find yourself in the situation you described, I would call the school that accepted you and confirm that you will not lose your seat if you wait until April 15 to commit/submit a deposit. Just to be safe.

Wow I never even thought of that so that's good to know. 

All interesting answers. Yeah, I would be afraid of waiting too long.... The thing is, I searched this forum, and it looks like last year, people who got into the school I'm referring to were asked to send in their deposit by about April 4th. It's just so strange to me that they can ask that, when other schools in the area don't typically send letters until MID April, or up until May. It's like, how the heck can I say yes to you guys and give you my money when I don't know who else might want me? And honestly, it comes down to money for me, so even IF I got in all my schools, I want to go for the most economical option. I guess then, I'll call the school (if I get in) and ask if it's okay to wait until a certain date to send a deposit..

5 minutes ago, Kate22192 said:

All interesting answers. Yeah, I would be afraid of waiting too long.... The thing is, I searched this forum, and it looks like last year, people who got into the school I'm referring to were asked to send in their deposit by about April 4th. It's just so strange to me that they can ask that, when other schools in the area don't typically send letters until MID April, or up until May. It's like, how the heck can I say yes to you guys and give you my money when I don't know who else might want me? And honestly, it comes down to money for me, so even IF I got in all my schools, I want to go for the most economical option. I guess then, I'll call the school (if I get in) and ask if it's okay to wait until a certain date to send a deposit..

I don't understand how schools aren't on some sort of deadline. It doesn't make sense that the dates of admissions being released can fluctuate so heavily. I will be in the same boat if I get accepted to more than one program and it scares me. 

16 minutes ago, Kate22192 said:

Are you referring to Montclair State? 

9 minutes ago, kayyyyy_ said:

I don't understand how schools aren't on some sort of deadline. It doesn't make sense that the dates of admissions being released can fluctuate so heavily. I will be in the same boat if I get accepted to more than one program and it scares me. 

RIGHT? I feel the same way. Mid March vs May are very, VERY different. It would make more sense for all schools, at least within a certain geographic area, to have a ballpark time frame in which they send out acceptances. My fear is that I'll end up wasting money on a deposit only to go somewhere else! 

Just now, Kate22192 said:

RIGHT? I feel the same way. Mid March vs May are very, VERY different. It would make more sense for all schools, at least within a certain geographic area, to have a ballpark time frame in which they send out acceptances. My fear is that I'll end up wasting money on a deposit only to go somewhere else! 

I would definitely just feel it out. If the school is demanding for a deposit and not understanding, would you really want to go there anyways? Everything will happen the way it's supposed to. && MAY IS SO LATE!!!! When does the program start? 

1 minute ago, kayyyyy_ said:

I would definitely just feel it out. If the school is demanding for a deposit and not understanding, would you really want to go there anyways? Everything will happen the way it's supposed to. && MAY IS SO LATE!!!! When does the program start? 

Fall! It's a school that's (evidently) notorious for reaaaaally late acceptances. But by then, you've likely heard from your other schools and they'll want a decision.

9 minutes ago, Kate22192 said:

Fall! It's a school that's (evidently) notorious for reaaaaally late acceptances. But by then, you've likely heard from your other schools and they'll want a decision.

Interesting. Well if it's your top program, it's definitely worth the wait. What school is it?

Just now, kayyyyy_ said:

Interesting. Well if it's your top program, it's definitely worth the wait. What school is it?

Kean University. Looks like many people heard mid-April last year, but I've also read some not till super late. I just want to know all my results so I can make an informed choice! haha

1 minute ago, Kate22192 said:

Kean University. Looks like many people heard mid-April last year, but I've also read some not till super late. I just want to know all my results so I can make an informed choice! haha

Oh I feel you on that one. Hopefully all our schools get back to us in a precise manner. 

2 minutes ago, Kate22192 said:

It looks like somebody on the Results page got a rejection from them already - maybe they will send out earlier this year? 

Just now, lindsayg1993 said:

It looks like somebody on the Results page got a rejection from them already - maybe they will send out earlier this year? 

Well that's alarming. Their deadline was super late- February 15th. I guess we'll see!

4 minutes ago, jmk said:

For the two schools I was accepted into, deposits are $300 and $500.

This might be a silly question but how do you know how much the deposits are? Did the school tell you when you were accepted or was the information on their website?  I was accepted to a school through email but it didn't say anything about a deposit, just the deadline to accept/decline the offer. They said I would receive an official letter from the Dean of the graduate school soon... I'm wondering if it will say in that letter.

@JcSLP The deposit amount for the school I was accepted to was in the letter. They attached a PDF of the letter to the acceptance email so it was there, too. It'll probably be in the mailed copy you receive. Congrats on your acceptance! :) 

2 hours ago, Kate22192 said:

Well that's alarming. Their deadline was super late- February 15th. I guess we'll see!

I go to Kean University now and I'm in their Pre-Professional program. I know they just gave out their decisions for the summer cohort so the person who posted their rejection on the Results page was probably rejected for the summer!