PhD Fall 2018 Applicants

vallaboop

5 minutes ago, Timemachines said:

I think you're totally fine! PI's expect this. When I was preparing for my first informal skype interview, I was joking with my roommate that I felt like I was getting ready for a date (practicing my schpeals in front of the mirror, coiffing my hair excessively...as if thats what was going to get me a formal interview :P ). Im sure you did just fine! And this is important to prepare you for the real thing. It'll help you realize the areas of your narrative that you need to tune up, even if it literally means repeating the same thing to yourself over and over again. you got this!

Thank you! I got so tripped up by his first/second questions which were the hardest of the bunch, haha. I guess now all I can do is wait to see if I made it to the in-person round, and you're right - at least now I know which questions/answers I need to fine-tune :lol:

11 minutes ago, forensic_chemist said:

I am applying for PhD at West Virginia University (Forensic Science), University of Central Florida (Chemistry with focus on Forensic Science), University of Florida (Chemistry), Florida International University (Chemistry with focus in Forensic Science), University at Albany (Chemistry with fkcus in Forensic Science).

2 years research experience, 3.5 years work experience in forensic science, 3.98 master's gpa, 155/141/4.0 (v/q/a). 

I am worried about my quantitative being so low. Do you think that will count against me?

I think this question may be better asked in the chemistry forum... They'll be able to tell you how much a quant score usually matters for admission. We're psychology :)

On 12/26/2017 at 8:18 AM, cindyboop said:

I wouldn't be worried! If you paid for the app and sent everything else in on time I am sure they were looking at it. The email you got might just be the generic email because all your materials were submitted. Something like a transcript, LOR or GRE scores aren't entirely in your hands when it comes to when they get submitted. Problems like this happen. Deep breath! 

Thanks for the reassurance, just freaking out about it for some reason. 

Does anyone know of neuroscience programs that have deadlines that haven’t passed yet? I applied to all of my schools and am still trusting, but I am getting a little discouraged. I have internship experience from WashU and several other research experiences that get me to about a year and a half of total experience and I have a 3.9... but my GRE score was no higher than 150 in both categories. Both times taking it I got around that score, except for a 4.5 analytical. I’m scared my GRE score may have ruined things. 

46 minutes ago, Neuropsycher said:

Does anyone know of neuroscience programs that have deadlines that haven’t passed yet? I applied to all of my schools and am still trusting, but I am getting a little discouraged. I have internship experience from WashU and several other research experiences that get me to about a year and a half of total experience and I have a 3.9... but my GRE score was no higher than 150 in both categories. Both times taking it I got around that score, except for a 4.5 analytical. I’m scared my GRE score may have ruined things. 

Unless you are talking about biological psychology or clinical neuropsychology, then this may be the wrong forum for you. We are a psychology forum here!

54 minutes ago, Neuropsycher said:

Totally realized that after posting! Sorry about that.

No problem! I've posted in the wrong forum a few times haha. Feel free to stick around, we just may not have the most relevant and helpful information for program. 

2 hours ago, Neuropsycher said:

Totally realized that after posting! Sorry about that.

If your neuroscience programs are through the psych program this might be relevant to you! That's why I'm here, most of mine are through psych departments. With that being said, I applied to the neuro program at Marquette and their deadline isn't until January 15th. I'm not sure what your research interests are though. Here's the link (their website is not the greatest...) http://www.marquette.edu/grad/programs-neuroscience.php

Is anyone applying to the Clinical Psychology PhD program at St. John's university?

I'm confused about the word count for the statement of professional goals. In the admissions requirements page of the clinical psychology page, there is no mention of the word count. In the application portal itself, there is also no mention of the word count. In the application checklist for graduate admissions, it says the personal statement should be 300-350 words.

Does the 300-350 word count apply to the statement of professional goals for the clinical psychology program?

1 hour ago, Mohamad Naamani said:

Is anyone applying to the Clinical Psychology PhD program at St. John's university?

I'm confused about the word count for the statement of professional goals. In the admissions requirements page of the clinical psychology page, there is no mention of the word count. In the application portal itself, there is also no mention of the word count. In the application checklist for graduate admissions, it says the personal statement should be 300-350 words.

Does the 300-350 word count apply to the statement of professional goals for the clinical psychology program?

Does it explicitly say somewhere on the clin. psych page that there is no word limit for the personal statement? This may be your best bet to gauge if they'll care. Then again, the submission portal might be sensitive to document size - I'd play around and see if you cant upload something that's a page long for example and then look for supporting info on the clinical psych page?? If all else fails, I'd call the department and explain the discrepancy!

Edited by Timemachines

3 hours ago, cindyboop said:

If your neuroscience programs are through the psych program this might be relevant to you! That's why I'm here, most of mine are through psych departments. With that being said, I applied to the neuro program at Marquette and their deadline isn't until January 15th. I'm not sure what your research interests are though. Here's the link (their website is not the greatest...) http://www.marquette.edu/grad/programs-neuroscience.php

Oh my goodness! Thank you! Yes it is a little relevant? one of my programs I applied to is cog neuroscience through an exp. psych program. I will def consider this

1 hour ago, Neuropsycher said:

Oh my goodness! Thank you! Yes it is a little relevant? one of my programs I applied to is cog neuroscience through an exp. psych program. I will def consider this

Hey there. I replied to your question in the other thread, but since I'm here, I just remembered that the deadline for the Developmental, Cognitive, and Behavioral Neuroscience Program at University of Houston hasn't passed yet. I think it's the 15th of January.

3 hours ago, Neuropsycher said:

Cool, so you can def stick around! Neuroscience and psychology are good friends :P:lol:

Hey everyone! Has anyone heard from the Ph.D Counseling Program at Arizona State University or Ph.D in Clinical Health Psych at U of Colorado Denver yet? I’m starting to get anxious about hearing nothing either way yet :( 

Just ran through my weekly/Friday check ins on PhD applications- still no updates! Didn't actually expect there to be, considering most the schools have notes on their systems or sent out emails about being MIA from the 23rd to the 1st. :D I'm excited to find out what happens after the first. :blink::)

17 hours ago, PsyZei said:

Just ran through my weekly/Friday check ins on PhD applications- still no updates! Didn't actually expect there to be, considering most the schools have notes on their systems or sent out emails about being MIA from the 23rd to the 1st. :D I'm excited to find out what happens after the first. :blink::)

Agreed! I'm hoping that the new year = new exciting notifications for all of us. :lol:

I have a phone interview and an in-person interview coming up soon. I am most nervous about the phone interview, but I would like to be well-prepared for both. Can Anyone suggest materials (or questions from your own interviews) to use in preparation? 

I would really appreciate it!!!

BTW- I’m experiemtal psych and developmental psych focused, so if you have interview advice specific to this, it would be awesome!

I saw that someone posted about an interview with McGill for Experimental Psychology on the Results page; would that person mind DMing me their POI? I'll cross-post with the DM thread as well, but I know I at least look at this thread more frequently. Thanks!

Also @Psychapplica good luck! I would be prepared to talk about how you arrived at your particular research interests, and articulate how the POI you're interviewing with is a good fit for those interests. I've had three Skype interviews, as well as three informal phone chats that I set up pre-application with potential advisors, and I'd say the bulk of the conversations revolved around those topics. If you did an honors thesis, you should be able to walk through that as well. I'm experimental psych focused, particularly cognitive psych, so I think you'll get similar questions.

On 12/30/2017 at 2:22 PM, songofgallifrey said:

I saw that someone posted about an interview with McGill for Experimental Psychology on the Results page; would that person mind DMing me their POI? I'll cross-post with the DM thread as well, but I know I at least look at this thread more frequently. Thanks!

Also @Psychapplica good luck! I would be prepared to talk about how you arrived at your particular research interests, and articulate how the POI you're interviewing with is a good fit for those interests. I've had three Skype interviews, as well as three informal phone chats that I set up pre-application with potential advisors, and I'd say the bulk of the conversations revolved around those topics. 

Thank you!

2 hours ago, April12345 said:

Has anyone heard anything from UCSB (Santa Barbara) Psychology? My application status still just says "submitted." ?

Not yet! Last year it looks like interviews went out in December and January, so they will probably be out soon.