West Chester vs Salus for Speech Langauge Pathology

I'm attempting to decide between West Chester and Salus University and I'm having a hard time. I'm interested in medical SLP but I heard West Chester is more focused on schools and children, which would make Salus a perfect fit. HOWEVER, WC is cheaper and accredited (Salus is a brand new program). It also is a closer commute. If anyone has information about West Chesters program please let me know!!

I live in the Philly area but didn't apply to Salus because they're so new - I wanted to attend a more established program. I also don't think they're officially accredited yet, which I've heard can create problems once you graduate!! My friends who visited there were impressed though so who knows. 

I shadowed an SLP who went to West Chester and she felt well prepared ....but she does currently work in a school. If I were you I would contact WC to inquire about what partnerships they may have with medical facilities in the area and what kinds of medical placements students end up with. Sorry I don't have more info but wanted to put my two cents in. Good luck making your decision! 

I would say West Chester. Since Salus isn't accredited yet, it's going to be a bit of a headache when you have to go through ASHA when you graduate! Also, Salus is SUPER expensive and I don't think it's worth it if you have gotten into a cheaper school that is accredited. As long as WCU can give you a medical practicum, then you'll be fine. 

I went to West Chester for undergrad. It is very inexpensive and some professors are great, but some are not. I think you will be fine for a medical setting if you go there since all programs have to cover it in some way.  

Also, I hear Salus has had a lot of ongoing problems concerning faculty, so if that's something that scares you then choose WCU.

Edited by Auuudriana

On 4/3/2017 at 9:21 PM, Auuudriana said:

I went to West Chester for undergrad. It is very inexpensive and some professors are great, but some are not. I think you will be fine for a medical setting if you go there since all programs have to cover it in some way.  

Also, I hear Salus has had a lot of ongoing problems concerning faculty, so if that's something that scares you then choose WCU.

Hi! This is kind of a long shot, but since you are in the area and seem to have an idea about other schools, I was wondering if you knew anything about the LaSalle or Temple programs? Have you heard anything good or bad about either of them? Thanks!

17 hours ago, SLPhilly said:

Hi! This is kind of a long shot, but since you are in the area and seem to have an idea about other schools, I was wondering if you knew anything about the LaSalle or Temple programs? Have you heard anything good or bad about either of them? Thanks!

I went to La Salle for undergrad, feel free to PM me with any questions :-)

On 4/4/2017 at 9:42 PM, SLPhilly said:

I haven't, but a few people in my class went to Temple so I can ask them, and if you have questions I can pass them along.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/3/2017 at 5:59 PM, k8! said:

I'm attempting to decide between West Chester and Salus University and I'm having a hard time. I'm interested in medical SLP but I heard West Chester is more focused on schools and children, which would make Salus a perfect fit. HOWEVER, WC is cheaper and accredited (Salus is a brand new program). It also is a closer commute. If anyone has information about West Chesters program please let me know!!

Hi! I am a current student at Salus University graduating in May with a CF already lined up. Honestly coming to Salus has been the best decision I ever made. I went to West Chester for undergrad and wanted to learn from a new set of professors to expand my knowledge set. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions!

• 1 year later...
On 4/30/2017 at 9:57 AM, bturn said:

Hi! I am a current student at Salus University graduating in May with a CF already lined up. Honestly coming to Salus has been the best decision I ever made. I went to West Chester for undergrad and wanted to learn from a new set of professors to expand my knowledge set. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions!

Hi! Is the speech program at Salus medically focused?