Fulbright 2018-2019

AnnMarie

Hello guys! I have applied Ukraine for ETA. I was just wondering, I applied at-large. Is this a disadvantage? I have been living out of the USA for more than 10 years. I have been in the country that I have applied twice. I organised two summer courses there. I am familiar with the language and can communicate in simple situations. I am a new English teacher, I have one and a half year of experience and I was a research assistant for one semester. At the moment, I am an MA student. I also have another MA in Applied Linguistics. Do you think I'd be overqualified because of my degrees or experience? I read somewhere that in some cases it might. 

BTW, I have applied Ukraine. Best of luck to all!

Hi All! I'm curious if anyone has information on Fulbright-Nehru awards. I applied this year, and the deadline was a full two months earlier than the majority of Fulbright applications. Does this mean that applicants might hear back sooner? If not, does anyone know why the deadline was so much earlier?

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, environmentalhopeful said:

How do you find the acceptance rate for each country?

Go to the Fulbright website, and in the top right corner there is a link to "Statistics". ( I have included the link below). From there, click on the link for the type of grant that you are interested in, and then you can select your country by scrolling or using the search function. For each country, there should be information about the number of applications compared to the number of awards granted for the past 3 cycles.

I do not know if there is any other kind of database for cycles beyond the past 3 years, but I hope this helps you find what you are looking for!

https://us.fulbrightonline.org/statistics

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/17/2017 at 5:28 AM, One Big Dot said:

This forum is surprisingly quiet. Is this the only one out there for Fulbright aspirants?

This is the only one I know about... I think it's quiet because we've all entered the dreaded waiting period >.<  Hopefully January will come quickly!

Hi everyone! I posted a lot on last year's Fulbright group, and I just wanted to come back and encourage you all in this waiting period! I'm currently a Fulbright in Mongolia and I remember the waiting was awful. 

Also, if January comes and you are waitlisted, don't despair! My program had 2 out of 6 come from the waitlist. So it's possible!

Good luck to all of you! (I'm not sure that there's anything I could do to help at this point, but feel free to send me a question if you have one.) 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone! Hopefully everyone is doing well during this dreaded waiting period. Do any of you know how Fulbright applications to the Catalan region of Spain are being looked at? I realize the problems going on over there and would hate if my application is not looked at positively simply for applying to that region. Anyone have any experience with that or know of someone who might?

23 hours ago, thepictureisstill said:

Has anyone found the document that contains panelist names for this round? I'm applying to Ireland in Installation Art and last year, I was able to locate the names of those who pushed my proposal onto semi-finalist round (the American panelists) but haven't had any luck this year.

No, I haven't either. I've been fruitlessly googling for the NSC list because I saw that a link went around these forums last year, but haven't been able to find it this year. Maybe it will get released later?

On 12/3/2017 at 3:25 PM, savay said:

No, I haven't either. I've been fruitlessly googling for the NSC list because I saw that a link went around these forums last year, but haven't been able to find it this year. Maybe it will get released later?

I vaguely remember it popping up here last year around the time decisions for 1st round went out--maybe a week or 2 before? So we have some time still if I'm remembering correctly. The link from last year's no longer works--I hunted it for awhile back in September and the link was dead, so I can save you guys some looking time there lol. 

On 12/6/2017 at 8:17 AM, iDance said:

I vaguely remember it popping up here last year around the time decisions for 1st round went out--maybe a week or 2 before? So we have some time still if I'm remembering correctly. The link from last year's no longer works--I hunted it for awhile back in September and the link was dead, so I can save you guys some looking time there lol. 

Looks like it might be password protected this year : ( 

I applied for the Taught Master’s Program Award at University College Dublin. This award requires applicants to be enrolled as an MA student at UCD, and I was accepted to my intended program (MA in Literature and Culture with a focus in American Literature)! :) Now just waiting to hear about the other half of the process in January. Best of luck to everyone throughout the waiting process; hopefully the new year will bring some exciting news! 

Hi all, I applied to do research in Nigeria.  Anyone else notice that the application closed 3 weeks early this year? Anyone know if that means we'll be notified about the first round 3 weeks earlier (meaning next week)?

Edited by JKay

On 12/12/2017 at 1:08 PM, JKay said:

Hi all, I applied to do research in Nigeria.  Anyone else notice that the application closed 3 weeks early this year? Anyone know if that means we'll be notified about the first round 3 weeks earlier (meaning next week)?

I didn't notice that, no. From previous application experience, I'd assume that we won't be notified of the first round any earlier than previous years. Slow as molasses!

On 12/10/2017 at 2:00 PM, breemartini said:

I applied for the Taught Master’s Program Award at University College Dublin. This award requires applicants to be enrolled as an MA student at UCD, and I was accepted to my intended program (MA in Literature and Culture with a focus in American Literature)! :) Now just waiting to hear about the other half of the process in January. Best of luck to everyone throughout the waiting process; hopefully the new year will bring some exciting news! 

I hope we're both in Ireland next fall! 

Hi all,

Here is the link to last year's "Notification Dates by Grant Year" spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AlU2xDiiVhQjK3quPy6qXJuhgXYghzzG8L4YNT0unX0/edit?usp=sharing

I had it saved on my drive from 2016 or so.  Right now it's in View Only mode and it looks like we don't have access to editing, so I'll put in a request and see what happens.  Either way, it's helpful (and reassuring) information as the wait gets shorter!