Fulbright 2018-2019

AnnMarie

20 minutes ago, Loujoelou said:

Hey everyone! :D This thread seemed like too much fun, so I had to join in! I applied for a Fulbright open study award to Australia that would allow me to do my PhD. Wishing you all the best. It is so nerve-wracking to have had to wait for so many months haha, hoping for the best in the next few weeks! As for the latest possible statistics, 2016-17 is latest application cycle available and there's no statistics for 2017-18 up on the Fulbright website yet.

As we're all waiting for the notifications regarding semi-finalist status, what were some of the research projects you guys want to carry out in your applications? If you're an ETA, why'd you choose your particular country to apply to? :) 

I'm applying for a scholarship in Sicily that would have me working with their anti-mafia organization Fondazione Giovanni e Francesca Falcone. If I get the grant, I'll be studying how the Sicilian mafia exploits migrant labor for agricultural fraud :) Waiting for these responses is honestly driving me mad!

What's your PhD focus?

7 minutes ago, jazzyab_45 said:

I applied to New Zealand to research how tourism effects and/or improves cultural connections (ie. Maori culture)in country while getting my graduate/Masters degree.

Looking at what everyone else applied for mine sounds boring lol.

Not boring at all! I dig it

29 minutes ago, Loujoelou said:

As we're all waiting for the notifications regarding semi-finalist status, what were some of the research projects you guys want to carry out in your applications? If you're an ETA, why'd you choose your particular country to apply to? :) 

Since I asked the question, I may as well answer my own question too. :) I am applying for an Open Study award to go to Brisbane, Australia and complete a PhD. (last year 6 out of 63 applicants received awards.. haha) I'm about to finish my bachelor's in fashion design with minors in business & Chinese, and I research a leather-like material made with water, sugar, and tea. :)Thus, for my PhD I'd be developing bacterial cellulose as a sustainable leather alternative! i'm currently in the process of working on my senior design collection incorporating the material so we'll see how that goes.

6 minutes ago, smeo0 said:

I'm applying for a scholarship in Sicily that would have me working with their anti-mafia organization Fondazione Giovanni e Francesca Falcone. If I get the grant, I'll be studying how the Sicilian mafia exploits migrant labor for agricultural fraud :) Waiting for these responses is honestly driving me mad!

What's your PhD focus?

Just answered the PhD focus part up above in the previous post, but if you have any further questions feel free to ask me! As for your topic that sound really cool haha :D !  You might get this often, but it sounds like it could be from the Godfather. 

1 hour ago, Loujoelou said:

Since I asked the question, I may as well answer my own question too. :) I am applying for an Open Study award to go to Brisbane, Australia and complete a PhD. (last year 6 out of 63 applicants received awards.. haha) I'm about to finish my bachelor's in fashion design with minors in business & Chinese, and I research a leather-like material made with water, sugar, and tea. :)Thus, for my PhD I'd be developing bacterial cellulose as a sustainable leather alternative! i'm currently in the process of working on my senior design collection incorporating the material so we'll see how that goes.

Oh awesome, another fashion person! I am completing my bachelors in Fashion Merchandising this year.

7 hours ago, jazzyab_45 said:

I applied to New Zealand to research how tourism effects and/or improves cultural connections (ie. Maori culture)in country while getting my graduate/Masters degree.

Looking at what everyone else applied for mine sounds boring lol.

I think this sounds amazing!! Good luck :)

7 hours ago, Loujoelou said:

I happened to see someone comment this on a previous Fulbright 2016-2017 board. These were the dates that Fulbright applicants were notified during their application cycle:

2015: January 16th... I think it was a Friday ? 

2014:  Tuesday, January 28th 

2013: Friday, January 18th

2012: Thursday, January 19th

2011: Thursday, January 20th

2010: Friday, January 29th (Apparently they had issues that year with the Embark system going down)

2009: Friday, January 30th

Yeah, I am so curious to see when we actually find out because one of the PDF's on this page ....https://us.fulbrightonline.org/country-review-resources  It says we will be notified by Jan 30th. While normally they do usually always say we will hear back by Jan 31st as a general notification. When normally see with this PDF the actual date before we find out. Last year the 2017-2018 version of this page told us we would be notified by the 17th and we found out on the 18th. https://us.fulbrightonline.org/application-review-commissionpost  I wonder if in fact we will hear back right before or on the 30th. Hmmmmmmmmm 

Edited by Photogeographic

10 hours ago, Loujoelou said:

Hey everyone! :D This thread seemed like too much fun, so I had to join in! I applied for a Fulbright open study award to Australia that would allow me to do my PhD. Wishing you all the best. It is so nerve-wracking to have had to wait for so many months haha, hoping for the best in the next few weeks! As for the latest possible statistics, 2016-17 is latest application cycle available and there's no statistics for 2017-18 up on the Fulbright website yet.

Hey Everyone, 

I applied for the Research/Study award to Luxembourg to research the impact of immigration on the state of tobacco and smoking behavior in Luxembourg, considering that migrants make up nearly half of the country's population. This is my first time applying for the award and I decided to apply At-Large for Independent Research.

Like the rest of you, I am very anxious to hear from the Fulbright.

I wish all of you the best :) 

12 hours ago, Photogeographic said:

Yeah, I am so curious to see when we actually find out because one of the PDF's on this page ....https://us.fulbrightonline.org/country-review-resources  It says we will be notified by Jan 30th. While normally they do usually always say we will hear back by Jan 31st as a general notification. When normally see with this PDF the actual date before we find out. Last year the 2017-2018 version of this page told us we would be notified by the 17th and we found out on the 18th. https://us.fulbrightonline.org/application-review-commissionpost  I wonder if in fact we will hear back right before or on the 30th. Hmmmmmmmmm 

Why do they have such variance year to year? It seems bizarre to me that they wouldn't set a regular date... Does this mean that there is a larger applicant pool?

21 minutes ago, ceterisparibus9 said:

Why do they have such variance year to year? It seems bizarre to me that they wouldn't set a regular date... Does this mean that there is a larger applicant pool?

They always had a date of January 30th but it depends how quickly they get all of the decisions back in a timely manner. Each person gets about 50-100 applications (depending on country and grant category). If they finish it early we know early. 

I literally go to school a few doors down from IIE and due to the first two weeks of January being a mess a lot of the government buildings in the area, including the UN were closed. They are probably behind to be honest.

12 hours ago, jazzyab_45 said:

They always had a date of January 30th but it depends how quickly they get all of the decisions back in a timely manner. Each person gets about 50-100 applications (depending on country and grant category). If they finish it early we know early. 

I literally go to school a few doors down from IIE and due to the first two weeks of January being a mess a lot of the government buildings in the area, including the UN were closed. They are probably behind to be honest.

This is true, but the committees decide in late November/early December, according to the timeline on the Fulbright website. Unless they were slowed down doing the emails or something, being closed in January should not affect them too much. 

13 hours ago, iDance said:

This is true, but the committees decide in late November/early December, according to the timeline on the Fulbright website. Unless they were slowed down doing the emails or something, being closed in January should not affect them too much. 

I believe they've already known since November since if you check on their Instagram account. They had a video announcing the colleges who had their very first Fulbright finalists ever and tagged those colleges in the video. I'll take a screenshot of it! Since I'm assuming they've known since then who'd the finalists be because they did a video in that regard, I wonder why we have to wait so long for our application status.

@Loujoelou I'm pretty sure the 2017-2018 round is the round of Fulbright-ers that are currently on program, in the middle of their fellowships. Sadly, I don't think our apps have been sent to our respective commissions yet. But thanks for making me aware of their Instagram! I didn't even think about following them on social media.

Edited by savay

17 hours ago, savay said:

@loujoelou I'm pretty sure the 2017-2018 round is the round of Fulbright-ers that are currently on program, in the middle of their fellowships. Sadly, I don't think our apps have been sent to our respective commissions yet. But thanks for making me aware of their Instagram! I didn't even think about following them on social media.

oh! I had never thought of it that way haha. I figured they meant 2017-2018 application cycle for the following 2018-2019 year. Maybe it was just my eagerness to get the news but you're right! But yeah... okay so that's the applicants the year before us :D got it haha.

8 hours ago, mostlyrainy said:

Hey there everyone! Does anyone have a bet on which day we'll hear back? I'm feeling the 19th... (and just hoping it's not as late as the 30th!)

I'm hoping for the 19th as well! But I suppose I'm guessing the 30th. GUH. 

Also any other Indonesia applicants? 

Hi folks!!

I'm going to go out on a limb and say we'll hear this week, here's hoping!

I'm applying for the Kenya ETA, and am currently a boren scholar studying Swahili in Tanzania for the academic year. I majored in biology and environmental science and I'm a little nervous because I don't have much teaching experience beyond TAing a class and an environmental education work/study I had for three years in undergrad. Fingers crossed though, good luck to you all! 

Edited by mattwigm

16 hours ago, mattwigm said:

Hi folks!!

I'm applying for the Kenya ETA, and am currently a boren scholar studying Swahili in Tanzania for the academic year. I majored in biology and environmental science and I'm a little nervous because I don't have much teaching experience beyond TAing a class and an environmental education work/study I had for three years in undergrad. Fingers crossed though, good luck to you all! 

Hey Matt, good luck! I'm currently in Kenya on a student research grant and I'm really enjoying it here! My trip started off a little bumpy due to the political unrest, but I was able to adjust my project. My advice is be flexible... Kenya can through you some curve balls. 

17 hours ago, mattwigm said:

Hi folks!!

I worked in Kenya for a while back in 2016. Congrats on being a Boren scholar!  Your ETA experience sounds like it would be awesome. Good luck! 

Any current teachers here applying for an ETA?? I'm in my second year of teaching high school English, about to graduate with a M.Ed in policy.

Even with teaching experience, I have no idea if this will be enough to be considered for an ETA. This vague waiting time is killer! I had pretty much forgotten about my application until last week, and now the idea of notifications coming out soon has placed it in the forefront of my mind!!

Hey guysss!! I’m also hoping we hear back soon as the waiting is killing me softly. I saw on Facebook that someone received an email from their Fulbright advisor saying notifications will be sent out towards the end of January this year :( anyone else’s FA send a similar email or can I still hope they’ll follow the trend of sometime this week?? Lol

35 minutes ago, Painter18 said:

Hey guysss!! I’m also hoping we hear back soon as the waiting is killing me softly. I saw on Facebook that someone received an email from their Fulbright advisor saying notifications will be sent out towards the end of January this year :( anyone else’s FA send a similar email or can I still hope they’ll follow the trend of sometime this week?? Lol

Seems like a user on this forum received a similar email a week ago:

On 1/8/2018 at 6:36 PM, savay said:

Just got an email from my advisor stating that IIE was going to be waiting until the end of January to announce all semi-finalists. No mid-January notifications this year ??.