Hello,

I am planning to apply to grad schools for Spring of 2018 and Fall of 2018.  I just recently graduate with a Bachelor's Degree in Communication Sciences and Disorders degree. I am planning to take a gap year if I decide to not apply to grad schools for the Spring of 2018, especially if I get a position as an SLPA.  I have a lot of volunteers and shadowing hours and my GRE scores (after taking it a third time) are pretty decent. (156 V; 154 Q; 5 W) My only problem though is my GPA... I have a 3.123 for my last 60 credits and a 3.0 overall GPA... I know that schools look at the GRE and GPA greatly and I was wondering if there was any hope in getting in at any school at all or if there was any way I can get my GPA up some even after graduating? I know there are Post-Bacc classes, but I am under the impression those are mainly for people who have a Bachelor's in another field of study. Any tips schools that anyone knows about that looks at the whole application as a whole instead of just the GPA and GRE will be helpful! Thank you!

Maybe you could try to retake some classes at post-bacc programs as a non-degree student.

Your GRE is good but if you could get it above 160 for both that would really offset your GPA!

Were there some circumstances that led to your low GPA? I think schools might be concerned about the last 60 hours, as generally thats when students buckle down, are focused, and are taking more CSD courses. If you have a legitimate reason you may be able to explain that in your personal statement, but remember grad school is going to be difficult. Be careful with your wording/reasoning because they may see it as poor time management/stress management.etc - all skills a grad student would need. If you have anything below a B in a CSD course you should probably retake it. Good luck.

On 5/19/2017 at 9:20 PM, WannabSLP124 said:

Were there some circumstances that led to your low GPA? I think schools might be concerned about the last 60 hours, as generally thats when students buckle down, are focused, and are taking more CSD courses. If you have a legitimate reason you may be able to explain that in your personal statement, but remember grad school is going to be difficult. Be careful with your wording/reasoning because they may see it as poor time management/stress management.etc - all skills a grad student would need. If you have anything below a B in a CSD course you should probably retake it. Good luck.

I was going through medical problems my last two semesters. Thank you for the advice! I'm definitely going to retake some classes and address it in my personal statement. :)

Hey there! I was recently accepted into 2 (of 5) grad schools my first year applying and had a relatively low (3.03) overall GPA. My last 60 was close to 3.7-3.8, so I'm not sure if my situation applies. I was accepted to a school that has an interview process, and although it was stressful leading up to the interview, I had the opportunity to showcase my personality and explain the areas of weakness in my application. If it helps, I took about 8 years to finish my undergraduate degree and int he first year and a half of that degree I was suspended twice for poor grades. I never thought I would be accepted, but made an effort to gain relevant experience, have competitive GRE scores, and explain my low GPA in my personal statement. Don't avoid the subject. It may be wise to retake a few classes with low grades. You may find that being accepted may take a few years, but don't let that stop you if you can't imagine doing anything else. :) Let the admissions committee see persistence and passion instead of a low GPA.

Ayyo. I got into a handful of schools with a low GPA. Even my last 60 weren't great. I'm gonna level with you - your GRE isn't stellar. It's okay, but in my experience, you have to make up for your low GPA in some numerical regard, not just by being a standout human being with lots of experience. I'd retake the GRE, but study your butt off to ensure some numbers go up. This is an easier number to boost than your GPA, for obvious reasons, like your GPA has 100+ credits factoring in. Adding a handful of As won't necessarily help. 

Another tip, and probably the best advice I got during the process, is apply smart. Don't apply to Iowa or Vanderbilt. Look at edfind, find schools (all over the country. don't get picky) that take lower GPAs, look at places that legitimately share your interests, and apply to a bunch. I applied to 15. I do not think this was too many. 

Of course, with a low GPA, the rest of your application has to be near perfect. That's okay. Get good recommendations, write your LOR, then have 5 people smarter than you edit it. When you mention your low GPA, do so, but briefly. Then explain that you're on an upward trajectory, and you're even more motivated to kill it. Don't focus on the bad. 

Good luck, let me know if I can help more. 

On 5/27/2017 at 11:22 PM, Spondee said:

Ayyo. I got into a handful of schools with a low GPA. Even my last 60 weren't great. I'm gonna level with you - your GRE isn't stellar. It's okay, but in my experience, you have to make up for your low GPA in some numerical regard, not just by being a standout human being with lots of experience. I'd retake the GRE, but study your butt off to ensure some numbers go up. This is an easier number to boost than your GPA, for obvious reasons, like your GPA has 100+ credits factoring in. Adding a handful of As won't necessarily help. 

Another tip, and probably the best advice I got during the process, is apply smart. Don't apply to Iowa or Vanderbilt. Look at edfind, find schools (all over the country. don't get picky) that take lower GPAs, look at places that legitimately share your interests, and apply to a bunch. I applied to 15. I do not think this was too many. 

Of course, with a low GPA, the rest of your application has to be near perfect. That's okay. Get good recommendations, write your LOR, then have 5 people smarter than you edit it. When you mention your low GPA, do so, but briefly. Then explain that you're on an upward trajectory, and you're even more motivated to kill it. Don't focus on the bad. 

Good luck, let me know if I can help more. 

Thank you so much! I am definitely going to take the GRE again to try and get it up! I really appreciate the advice!