2017-2018 Application Cycle

IR44

46 minutes ago, komina12345 said:

Rejected from UCSD. Looks like I was too much of a dumbass 

That makes Wisconsin, UC Davis, UCSD, and most likely Northwestern and Berkeley. 

0/5 let's go for the 0/15 and send my confidence straight to the ninth circle of hell lol

hang in there.  it only takes one. 

4 minutes ago, jnewcomb08 said:

hang in there.  it only takes one. 

I keep telling myself that but I'm honestly just getting worse and worse mentally. It's sort frustrating that I worked so hard and spent so many countless hours and nights preparing for this, only for it to culminate in a blunt and frankly insincere letter that probably only took 2 seconds to send. This entire process is slowly sapping away at my will to live lol

Edited by komina12345

i applied to 11 schools and have one acceptance so far out of 6 responses.  i got a 4.0 gpa at university of florida and graduated magna cum laude from the honors program.  i had 3 great letters.  my gre was 160/160/5.  i really don't know what more i could have done.

bottomline:  there is a lot of luck involved...or the gre must carry a ton of weight which i absolutely cannot stand.  you will get into a school.  find something to do keep your mind off it.  

(i also agree that after years and years of hard work, a generic email is pretty cold...especially when you have waited many years of your life for this moment.  for ucsd to send them out in the middle of the night is absurd.)

7 minutes ago, komina12345 said:

I keep telling myself that but I'm honestly just getting worse and worse mentally. It's sort frustrating that I worked so hard and spent so many countless hours and nights preparing for this, only for it to culminate in a blunt and frankly insincere letter that probably only took 2 seconds to send. This entire process is slowly sapping away at my will to live lol

i also went from being homeless to earning the outstanding scholar award at UF as well, lol.  i wrote that in my statement to show the ability to overcome hardship.  who knows...

3 hours ago, displaynamehere said:

Admitted to Duke and UCSD, wondering why no email from NYU :(

In the exact opposite situation. Accepted to NYU while just received rejection from UCSD and waiting to receive one from Duke. Why sad? UCSD and Duke seems to be #10 right now and while NYU is great too, the school always has been #25 in other areas than methodology.

Ranking isn't everything but unless you want NYU specifically, it seems that you do not have to be in sad face. Be happy!

Edited by Albert01

23 minutes ago, jnewcomb08 said:

i also went from being homeless to earning the outstanding scholar award at UF as well, lol.  i wrote that in my statement to show the ability to overcome hardship.  who knows...

That's rough. At the very least though you have UC Davis which is quite great. Davis is wonderful and Sacramento is a good place (albeit it's home to a basketball team that causes me physical pain to support every year).

I'm just going to quote Hacksaw Ridge and say, "Lord, help me get one more."

1 hour ago, komina12345 said:

Rejected from UCSD. Looks like I was too much of a dumbass 

That makes Wisconsin, UC Davis, UCSD, and most likely Northwestern and Berkeley. 

0/5 let's go for the 0/15 and send my confidence straight to the ninth circle of hell lol

Same, I know how you feel :( Rejected from Princeton, assumed reject from Northwestern, Berkeley and Duke. Already feel a gaping hole in my stomach...

Edited by cedfik

Logically know that it only takes one and I applied to 20 (lol) but can't stop myself from seeing this beginning as an ominous portent. Ack.

Does anyone know if they send out emails over the weekend? I just want some certainty (I said, in what I later realized was a state of blissful ignorance.)

13 minutes ago, cedfik said:

Logically know that it only takes one and I applied to 20 (lol) but can't stop myself from seeing this beginning as an ominous portent. Ack.

Does anyone know if they send out emails over the weekend? I just want some certainty (I said, in what I later realized was a state of blissful ignorance.)

They do not, at least from my experience. 

If it makes you feel better, I also feel incredibly horrible right now which is only compounded by the fact that I have work on Monday. On the bright side, I have video games to let some steam loose.

Those with 15 or 20 applications will get in somewhere at the end of the day. I only did five applications so you do the math. On the flipside, not getting admitted anywhere with that many applications would be a real shocker.

Edited by skhann

1 hour ago, skhann said:

On the flipside, not getting admitted anywhere with that many applications would be a real shocker.

Exactly haha, cannot imagine how I will feel if I end up with 0/20...

1 hour ago, Wiesbaden said:

a cocktail named "I am sorry" or "rejected applications."

Also requesting "Regret" and "Many Qualified Applicants" 

I have a question for those who got admittances. Do you have a clear funding info in your acceptance letters? I have four acceptances so far, however none of them indicates any information regarding how much money I would get after official admission or whether I'd be given assistantship.

11 minutes ago, huso said:

I have a question for those who got admittances. Do you have a clear funding info in your acceptance letters? I have four acceptances so far, however none of them indicates any information regarding how much money I would get after official admission or whether I'd be given assistantship.

I got 2 by far. One mentions that I will be funded without further detail. The other clearly notifies that what kind of and amount of funding that I will get.

15 minutes ago, Albert01 said:

I got 2 by far. One mentions that I will be funded without further detail. The other clearly notifies that what kind of and amount of funding that I will get.

Thanks and congrats! I don't know if it's me or the universities' budget. hope to hear some good funding opportunities as well

9 hours ago, PoliSci-freak said:

To those wondering about UW-S, my interpretation of this is that all their admit decisions were sent by the grad program assistant today (I was informed they would all be sent by Friday by an internal source). If you didn't hear from them, like myself, you're prob waitlisted, or rejected, just to be realistic...

It seems odd to me that only one decision has been posted if this is the case. 

33 minutes ago, deutsch1997bw said:

It seems odd to me that only one decision has been posted if this is the case. 

I wouldn't question the accuracy of the post, an internal source said they were going to decide by Friday. It seems there's another UW-S admit above. Anybody else admitted to UW-S?

The only thing I wonder about is if they have notified all their admits, or still deliberating. 

UW-S admits, what are your fields (and regions if CP)?

Edited by PoliSci-freak

3 hours ago, huso said:

In my case, the DGS always followed up (one of them a few hours, one of them a few weeks, two of them took several days) the acceptance email with a separate email outlining the funding offer. Just wait, the offers will come in. You can also email to ask when the department will have funding information available for you.