2017-2018 Application Cycle

IR44

4 hours ago, cedfik said:

Exactly haha, cannot imagine how I will feel if I end up with 0/20...

Also requesting "Regret" and "Many Qualified Applicants" 

While there's still plenty to go with 20 apps (and I am sure there will be at least one success!), leaving last year's cycle empty-handed (at least in terms of US programmes) has taught me a valuable lesson. You can always apply next year, and you will be a stronger candidate. These decisions are almost stochastic in nature, and any given number of rejections is a poor predictor of one's academic potential in a crowded field like this. Don't let the decisions distract you from your ambitions. I had exactly the same thoughts last year, having put so much effort into it - and yet, after that disappointment, I persevered and it worked out this year instead!

53 minutes ago, Dirichlet said:

While there's still plenty to go with 20 apps (and I am sure there will be at least one success!), leaving last year's cycle empty-handed (at least in terms of US programmes) has taught me a valuable lesson. You can always apply next year, and you will be a stronger candidate. These decisions are almost stochastic in nature, and any given number of rejections is a poor predictor of one's academic potential in a crowded field like this. Don't let the decisions distract you from your ambitions. I had exactly the same thoughts last year, having put so much effort into it - and yet, after that disappointment, I persevered and it worked out this year instead!

Thank you so much for this reply—I really needed to hear this from someone who knows the PhD process. I am very sure that this is what I want to do (I best be, as it's not like I expect much monetary motivation haha) so will definitely reapply next cycle in the worst case scenario. I am really glad to hear it worked out well for you and congratulations! 

4 hours ago, huso said:

I have a question for those who got admittances. Do you have a clear funding info in your acceptance letters? I have four acceptances so far, however none of them indicates any information regarding how much money I would get after official admission or whether I'd be given assistantship.

I don't think it's unusual - I've experienced both.  I also don't think it's out of line to ask when you can expect that information.

1 hour ago, Sheldon2017 said:

Anyone claiming ASU admits?

Arizona State? If you mean that institution, I can claim one. It was a DGS phone call, though they're sending out emails with formal letters and offers next week. 

1 hour ago, megabee said:

Arizona State? If you mean that institution, I can claim one. It was a DGS phone call, though they're sending out emails with formal letters and offers next week. 

Congrats! They interviewed me but I didn't get any phone call. I assume a bitter rejection. 

52 minutes ago, deutsch1997bw said:

Has anyone else heard from Texas? It seems odd that only one person has posted their result.

Looking at the previous cycle it seems that there were a few acceptances that came in first and then a larger batch a few days later. Maybe we still have hope :) 

1 hour ago, deutsch1997bw said:

Has anyone else heard from Texas? It seems odd that only one person has posted their result.

Seems like the one guy who posted it had a personalized letter from the dean, so it isn't too unusual to assume this is an exception to the general case. Might be the same case with my friend and UChicago.

Just popping in to say no updates this week. Still just expecting the rejection from Northwestern. UCLA I feel like it was a troll positing, so I assume that isn't out yet and will likely come this week. Also hoping for Pitt. Cornell I don't expect anything from this upcoming week. Congrats to those of you who got some acceptances and some closure. Clarity is a great thing to have, just so you know what to expect plan wise come fall. Good luck to you all this upcoming week, I'll be reading this thread frequently I'm sure.

2 hours ago, JMCrawfordNJ said:

UCLA I feel like it was a troll positing, 

I feel reasonably certain this is true, as they emailed yesterday to ask for an additional document

2 hours ago, komina12345 said:

Seems like the one guy who posted it had a personalized letter from the dean, so it isn't too unusual to assume this is an exception to the general case. Might be the same case with my friend and UChicago.

Yes not a troll. The email was very personalized and informed me that I’d hear more officially soon. It could very well be that the chair reached out to me before other acceptances were sent, although I don’t have any solid insight into that. I did have another professor from UT email me today asking if I had any questions etc. 

3 hours ago, CandyCanes said:

Serious question: What exactly do you need to do to get into Princeton?... Another reject here.

Snarky jokes about legacy and money aside (others will make better ones than I can), so much of this boils down to faculty fit; whether the research of your most compatible faculty member happens to align with your own; whether they aren't working on a new book that will take them in a somewhat different direction; whether they'll be taking new students over the next 1-2 years; whether they even have a say on the adcomm to begin with that particular year... the list goes on.

PhD applicants are smart enough that if there were a hard and fast rubric for what it takes to get into Princeton, a lot of you all would have figured it out by this point. 

It's probably not always fair, but it's also definitely not you.