2017-2018 Application Cycle

IR44

9 minutes ago, polisciallday said:

Thank you, this has already been helpful and clear. Just needed someone to help allay the anxiety. 

Are you, by chance, still waiting to hear from Emory? I am still waiting to hear anything from them as well. American subfield if that helps.

Hoping for UT Austin some time soon, but also nervous it might be a no.

22 minutes ago, RodneyTrotter said:

Are you, by chance, still waiting to hear from Emory? I am still waiting to hear anything from them as well. American subfield if that helps.

Hoping for UT Austin some time soon, but also nervous it might be a no.

Yup, I am. CP subfield for me. I was a tad confused when people started posting acceptances and rejections from Emory and Duke. Still holding on to some hope though. 

Good luck with UT and the rest of your apps! I'm in the same boat so my fingers are still crossed, it almost hurts. ?

3 minutes ago, polisciallday said:

Yup, I am. CP subfield for me. I was a tad confused when people started posting acceptances and rejections from Emory and Duke. Still holding on to some hope though. 

Good luck with UT and the rest of your apps! I'm in the same boat so my fingers are still crossed, it almost hurts. ?

Same for me with Duke. I suppose there is still a chance. Perhaps I am on the waitlist. In any case, I have yet to hear from many schools, 10, including Duke. Theory subfield for me--so the offering are scant, as are the job postings. So, securing a spot in an excellent program is especially important. Since I do politics and religion, I am hoping ND, Duke, and U Chicago will send out some offers this week...

7 minutes ago, sbs2018 said:

Same for me with Duke. I suppose there is still a chance. Perhaps I am on the waitlist. In any case, I have yet to hear from many schools, 10, including Duke. Theory subfield for me--so the offering are scant, as are the job postings. So, securing a spot in an excellent program is especially important. Since I do politics and religion, I am hoping ND, Duke, and U Chicago will send out some offers this week...

If it helps any, the professor I currently TA for only got a T20 offer in early April way back when (10-12 years ago). He was on the verge of going corporate and had completely given up on grad school. He studied medieval poetry which had and still has an incredibly saturated market. But he came out having somewhere solid to go to, and a TT job after. So there's always hope. 

27 minutes ago, polisciallday said:

If it helps any, the professor I currently TA for only got a T20 offer in early April way back when (10-12 years ago). He was on the verge of going corporate and had completely given up on grad school. He studied medieval poetry which had and still has an incredibly saturated market. But he came out having somewhere solid to go to, and a TT job after. So there's always hope. 

Thanks for the encouragement! Those stories are the exception, but I think I'll be ok :)  Fortunately, I am accepted at UNC-Chapel Hill, so I have that to hold onto through the rest of the admit season. Best to you!

Edited by sbs2018

54 minutes ago, L IR/CP said:

UT Austin PhD acceptances will be coming out this week. A faculty member reached out to me Sunday notifying me of my acceptance. 

Congrats, and this is good to know! Is your main field IR or CP?

28 minutes ago, RodneyTrotter said:

As per the discussion earlier, just received an official email waitlisting me at Emory.

Email seemed very positive. Might be my number one choice if I'm lucky enough to be admitted.

That's my second waitlist, adding to the burden on my poor heart.

I received an email from Emory waitlisting me too. Hope it ends up working out for us. 

59 minutes ago, toad1 said:

Does anyone have expected timeline for remaining CHYMPS programs?

Dates of first acceptance, last year:

Feb 15: Stanford

Feb 17: Michigan and Yale

Feb 28: Harvard

If it's any indication, both Princeton and Berkeley released on the exact same day this year as last year (Jan. 31).

I think U of Chicago is a very important one for me this week. They have a longer limit for SOPs (2500 words compared to the usual 1000) and my SOP came out to around 1250-1300. Like I said earlier, I took the calculated risk to keep my SOP over the limit, so if it does go well with Chicago then I can perhaps connect my rejections possibly (but not entirely) to that risk. If I don't get in to Chicago then I know I have a more structural problem in my application profile (especially since UC was supposed to be a "safety" school; not to say I wouldn't be happy to go there, but it  does seem risky to go there for comparative). 

11 minutes ago, ThirtySthGang said:

Hello all, first time poster here. Did anyone received rejection from U Illinois - Urbana Campaign? Couldn't make sure if I should count it as a rejection since there was only one post claiming acceptance. Thanks! 

I talked to the graduate director two weeks ago and it appears they are sending out their acceptances in waves. So it appears if you have not been accepted yet you were not in the "first wave" of acceptances for you sub field but you could still be accepted in future waves. 

7 hours ago, Nelz said:

A number of applicants have received acceptance at NYU? Those who haven't heard, is it a rejection?

I received an email earlier today asking for a copy of my official transcripts after not hearing back on Friday, so it seems that the admissions process isn't over yet. Hope this helps.

3 minutes ago, PE_Methods said:

Should we expect acceptances, worst case scenario rejections? I'm not sure that they would ask for official transcripts if they were going to reject outright.

I honestly don't know what to make of it. The request for my transcript did not come from the department though.

41 minutes ago, luminalcoin8 said:

Dates of first acceptance, last year:

Feb 15: Stanford

Feb 17: Michigan and Yale

Feb 28: Harvard

If it's any indication, both Princeton and Berkeley released on the exact same day this year as last year (Jan. 31).

For who are interested, Columbia announced at Feb 8th last year and Feb 10th a year before it even though the school may not be CHYMPS

Edited by Albert01

22 minutes ago, nxb33 said:

I talked to the graduate director two weeks ago and it appears they are sending out their acceptances in waves. So it appears if you have not been accepted yet you were not in the "first wave" of acceptances for you sub field but you could still be accepted in future waves. 

thank you, good to know. I wonder why some schools can't just send guaranteed rejections right away.

Just discovered this forum, and it has been interesting to read the posts.

I will claim acceptances from Emory and Wisconsin, an interview at GWU (which I will not attend since I'm unlikely to go their with my current options), and a rejection from Princeton. I have not heard back from Duke yet, but I am assuming a rejection--went there for undergrad so I am unlikely to go there for my PhD. I have also yet to hear back from the following: Yale, Michigan, Berkeley, WashU, UNC.

My subfield is judicial/AP with a particular interest in 19th/early 20th century judicial decision-making.

Good luck to everyone!