2017-2018 Application Cycle

IR44

1 hour ago, cedfik said:

Do you guys think all the UCLA admits are out? Really bummed about this one because I thought I had a good correspondence with a POI there...

UCLA has made its decisions but probably not all. I had correspondence with a POI and I was informally informed that my outcome may not be positive. You may want to check with the POI about that as well

On 2018/2/5 at 5:53 AM, cpmethods said:

Thanks for your comments, they are truly helpful and congrats on the admits! One question, did you apply to Stanford and if yes, when do you expect the results?

I did apply to Stanford, and I would expect the results within the next week or so. My adviser comes from there, and it remains my top choice (before Berkeley). 

54 minutes ago, Nelz said:

UCLA has made its decisions but probably not all. I had correspondence with a POI and I was informally informed that my outcome may not be positive. You may want to check with the POI about that as well

If you don't mind my asking, how did you ask them? It seems like it might be a little awkward to just email them to ask what my results are when I'll probably know in a few days max (not saying your correspondence was awkward, just not sure how to go about it myself). 

2 hours ago, Wiesbaden said:

Maybe faculty members are on vacation :(. It is taking too much time to consider applications.

Hi my fds,
I did get an interview two days ago by a Professor in the committee. She told me I ll hear back within ten days. Hope this news will help.

1 hour ago, cedfik said:

If you don't mind my asking, how did you ask them? It seems like it might be a little awkward to just email them to ask what my results are when I'll probably know in a few days max (not saying your correspondence was awkward, just not sure how to go about it myself). 

No, it's not ideal to ask if feel it might be awkward. I just emailed her to ask for advice on something else and asked about admissions indirectly. But wouldn't recommend it if it might seem awkward.

3 hours ago, ArcierePrudente said:

Hey. From one Trojan undergrad to another, fight on, all right?

This can be tough--rooting for you.

Fight On! Good luck to you as well. I don't really see it as a competition and hope the best for you. All I want at this point is even one school that wants me. 

Going back to South Korea and doing military service for two years is an incredibly shitty alternative.

1 hour ago, Alex@Beijing said:

Have seen many posts about UT Austin. Does it mean a rejection if I hear nothing yet?

It's only been one or two people who have been contacted fairly informally. I wouldn't say that just yet.

That having been said, I contacted someone at UT Austin who informed me that the admissions process has been completed and decisions were being sent out. Whether or not these are being staggered is beyond me.

Edited by komina12345

1 hour ago, komina12345 said:

Fight On! Good luck to you as well. I don't really see it as a competition and hope the best for you. All I want at this point is even one school that wants me. 

Going back to South Korea and doing military service for two years is an incredibly shitty alternative.

What visa are you on in the US? You did both your undergrad and grad from America?

11 minutes ago, skhann said:

What visa are you on in the US? You did both your undergrad and grad from America?

I am an American citizen. It's more or less a poor joke about how most Korean men are dragged back to the motherland to serve in the military when they don't have any foreseeable future in the States. Heck, I've heard of some Korean-Americans who stayed in Korea for too long and ended up in the military because they didn't know they were also Korean citizens as well. The citizenship law is a mess in South Korea, but I'm fairly certain I'm just an American citizen. If I live in Korea however, I think parentage and other stuff gets dragged into and complicates it. Like I said, it's a mess, but if I really don't have any other realistic options regarding jobs or Ph.D. programs, teaching in Korea or Japan might be my only other choices. And quite frankly, I have no clue what to expect if I move to Korea. Aside from being an American citizen with no foreseeable Korean citizenship, I really don't know how the law can change.

군대 is a major pain in the ass for a lot of people.

Edited by komina12345

4 minutes ago, komina12345 said:

I am an American citizen. It's more or less a poor joke about how most Korean men are dragged back to the motherland to serve in the military when they don't have any foreseeable future in the States. Heck, I think I knew some Korean-American friends who stayed in Korea for too long and ended up in the military because they didn't know they were also Korean citizens as well. The citizenship law is a mess in South Korea, but I'm fairly certain I'm just an American citizen. If I live in Korea however, I think parentage and other stuff gets dragged into and complicates it. Like I said, it's a mess, but if I really don't have any other realistic options regarding jobs or Ph.D. programs, teaching in Korea or Japan might be my only other choices.

Ah! OK.

P.S. Does Japan have any English language IR programs?

Edited by skhann

5 minutes ago, skhann said:

Ah! OK.

P.S. Does Japan have any English language IR programs?

I'm planning on applying to Waseda University since a good friend of mine I knew at Chicago came from that program. Also, I'll be applying to Kobe University. At the very least, I think my knowledge of Japanese universities is okay. However, applications don't open until March so that's an issue.

Edited by komina12345

3 minutes ago, komina12345 said:

I'm planning on applying to Waseda University since a good friend of mine I knew at Chicago came from that program. Also, I'll be applying to Kobe University. At the very least, I think my knowledge of Japanese universities is okay. However, applications don't open until March so that's an issue.

Sorry for any confusion. My question was rather about Japanese universities having PSci/IR PhD programs in the English language. Since I don't know about your situation/knowledge of the Japanese language etc.

3 minutes ago, skhann said:

Sorry for any confusion. My question was rather about Japanese universities having PSci/IR PhD programs in the English language. Since I don't know about your situation/knowledge of the Japanese language etc.

They do have these in English. I believe the University of Tokyo does not (else I would also consider them as well) and requires you to be bilingual. Attaining a Ph.D. from Japan basically means I'll be working in Korea/Japan/China for the rest of my life, but I really don't have an issue with that.

3 minutes ago, komina12345 said:

They do have these in English. I believe the University of Tokyo does not (else I would also consider them as well) and requires you to be bilingual. Attaining a Ph.D. from Japan basically means I'll be working in Korea/Japan/China for the rest of my life, but I really don't have an issue with that.

Thanks. Sounds like these programs require sufficient knowledge of the Japanese language despite them being in English. I guess the language of instruction might be mixed given the students are largely local.

5 minutes ago, skhann said:

Thanks. Sounds like these programs require sufficient knowledge of the Japanese language despite them being in English. I guess the language of instruction might be mixed given the students are largely local.

Japanese isn't too far off from Korean in terms of language structure + similar (sometimes identical) words that we use. I think I can ease into, though I would much prefer to be in America studying at a Ph.D. program. Officially speaking, I still have about 12 more (though 2 or 3 of these are all but certain rejections). It's tough sitting through it all though, watching all of your work summed up into a short e-mail.

Edited by komina12345

5 minutes ago, komina12345 said:

Japanese isn't too far off from Korean in terms of language structure + similar (sometimes identical) words that we use. I think I can ease into, though I would much prefer to be in America studying at a Ph.D. program. Officially speaking, I still have about 12 more (though 2 or 3 of these are all but certain rejections). It's tough sitting through it all though, watching all of your work summed up into a short e-mail.

Cool. You still have multiple chances of getting admitted . Don't give up.

13 hours ago, csantamir said:

Congrats! Hope they send out other decisions soon. By the way has your status changed on the application page?

Thanks! And no change in my portal.