2017-2018 Application Cycle

IR44

3 minutes ago, buckinghamubadger said:

On further thought, this might be a situation in which it is best to call and ask

I wonder if it's too early to do this, though. I would inquire sometime toward the end of February.

Edited by deutsch1997bw

4 minutes ago, buckinghamubadger said:

On further thought, this might be a situation in which it is best to call and ask

Luckily I am fortunate enough to not care too much. I am in the peculiar situation of having been accepted to one of my reach schools, denied from one of my safety schools, and ghosted from a school in the middle ground. So I am just confused more than anything. So far, the process has made very little sense for me.

@toad1 that's like me and the University of Washington. I'm more interested in what happens than I actually care about the result. It looks like South Bend or St. Louis (depending on if I get into WashU) for me, though an acceptance to Brandeis or USC might change my mind (probably not though)

3 hours ago, deutsch1997bw said:

I wonder, too, whether UT-Austin is done.

Judging by how the admissions are coming out day by day and piece by piece, I'm assuming it's being staggered. Of course, I'm not a member of the admissions committee, so don't take my word for it. I would just say don't give up hope since I got accepted in early March of all times.

7 hours ago, komina12345 said:

Got my rejection from Virginia. Honestly, seeing as Virginia was one of the lower-ranked programs I applied to, I can't see myself getting into anywhere else. 

I'm mentally done with this application cycle, and I'm not going to wait for the rejection letters to find me for the remaining schools. I think I'm going to go camping in the forests for a bit or something. I really can't function on a mental or emotional level right now. I need to stay away from everything and everyone for a bit on my own.

It's been great posting with you guys. I wish you the best of luck and hope you don't fall into the same fucking pathetic failure of a life that I ended up with.

Hey man, I don't know if you'll read this if you have truly left to go off into the wilderness. That being said, I know things are looking down, but your life isn't worthless just because of some college admissions. I admit the entire process is pretty screwed up where a group of people can throw away nearly an entire year's worth of work and send an oftentimes borderline insulting letter that seems (and most of the times is) completely and totally insincere, but there are other things to look forward to in life. There's always hope, so don't get too down on yourself. It's not something worth demeaning yourself over. That can lead into an avalanche of bad things, and I would know better than anyone else how much poor self-esteem can cripple someone.

To add on, most people only get accepted to a handful of programs (and more often than not only one). You're on a forum where there is a concentration of highly qualified applicants who excel in this particular process. What is happening here is not an indication that you've been automatically rejected as highly qualified applicants (and I'm talking about people who have been preparing for this since they stepped onto a college campus) more often than not receive notifications first. 

4 hours ago, megabee said:

So uh. I can claim a University of Michigan acceptance? Beyond shocked. Mostly I'm just petting my cat and staring at the letter. Never would have expected this ever.

Congratulations! I had the same reaction with Harvard. My first reaction was to read my name a few times and make sure they didn't screw up. I had a hard time they accepted someone like me over probably far more qualified candidates. Ann Arbor is beautiful, so I hope you enjoy it!

3 hours ago, Hamb said:

Anybody else surprised about the lack of an official rejection from Berkeley? Most years it's a day or two after they send out rejections.

To quote Jim Carrey, "So you're telling me there's a chance..."

Edited by CambridgeHeismanLord

7 hours ago, komina12345 said:

Got my rejection from Virginia. Honestly, seeing as Virginia was one of the lower-ranked programs I applied to, I can't see myself getting into anywhere else. 

I'm mentally done with this application cycle, and I'm not going to wait for the rejection letters to find me for the remaining schools. I think I'm going to go camping in the forests for a bit or something. I really can't function on a mental or emotional level right now. I need to stay away from everything and everyone for a bit on my own.

It's been great posting with you guys. I wish you the best of luck and hope you don't fall into the same fucking pathetic failure of a life that I ended up with.

In the same boat. A good idea to take a break and go camping to save your sanity. Hopefully an acceptance letter will be waiting for you when you get back :)

Edited by skhann

2 hours ago, BobBobBob said:

UChicago's list has been submitted to the dean since last week. It's just up to the graduate admission office when they can get the files ready and realease decisions.

Sounds entirely plausible, but more out of curiosity (since you've posted a couple insider tidbits about UChicago), are you getting this from one source in particular? 

10 minutes ago, Clytemnahstra said:

I'm still waiting on Duke, as well as UCLA and NW. My inbox has been conspicuously quiet...

I have also not heard back from Duke. As a former undergrad/employee, it has been a nightmare trying to log into my Duke portal, but I think it's finally fixed. I've been told by my professors that Duke usually doesn't admit Duke undergrads, so I'm not expecting much.

11 minutes ago, charlesevanshughes said:

I have also not heard back from Duke. As a former undergrad/employee, it has been a nightmare trying to log into my Duke portal, but I think it's finally fixed. I've been told by my professors that Duke usually doesn't admit Duke undergrads, so I'm not expecting much.

I am the same one as all of you. MSU and UA are already ended... Expectancy and hope are gone.

26 minutes ago, Clytemnahstra said:

I'm still waiting on Duke, as well as UCLA and NW. My inbox has been conspicuously quiet...

Well since I’m not the only one, I will safely assume that they are not done making decisions regarding waitlist vs reject. But same, I haven’t heard anything since Princeton rejects last week and I really want to hear something (positive) from Berkeley.