2017-2018 Application Cycle

IR44

23 minutes ago, StudyinMountains said:

Claiming acceptance to UT-Austin! Not my top pick, but I'm excited!

Oh, and fellow Michigan reject here too. Props to their program for sending out all decisions on the same day.

2a / 3r / 0w / 8p

Agreed. I'm glad I was rejected on the same day

20 minutes ago, deutsch1997bw said:

Since I was waitlisted at UNC, is there a strong chance that I won't find out about whether I've been accepted/rejected until April?

There is a strong chance, yes. I mean it obviously depends how many, and how quickly, people accept their offers. But most waitlisters don't get informed of acceptance/rejection until a couple of days before April 15th.

16 minutes ago, Comparativist said:

There is a strong chance, yes. I mean it obviously depends how many, and how quickly, people accept their offers. But most waitlisters don't get informed of acceptance/rejection until a couple of days before April 15th.

Thanks, that is good to know. I do wish I had some idea of how many people are on the waitlist, though. 

11 minutes ago, toad1 said:

When it comes to schools that have already sent acceptances, rejections, and waitlists... what does one make of being ghosted entirely?

The email I received from UNC today taught me to take everything on GradCafe with a grain of salt. It really is just a waiting game. I suppose you aren't done until you've officially been rejected.

5 minutes ago, deutsch1997bw said:

The email I received from UNC today taught me to take everything on GradCafe with a grain of salt. It really is just a waiting game. I suppose you aren't done until you've officially been rejected.

Hopefully, you are right...

3 minutes ago, megabee said:

So uh. I can claim a University of Michigan acceptance? Beyond shocked. Mostly I'm just petting my cat and staring at the letter. Never would have expected this ever.

I've been reading the letter over and over ever since I got it haha. I half expect it to disappear or for it to have been sent to the wrong person or for me to realize I actually read the whole thing wrong and it was a rejection letter after all

4 minutes ago, cedfik said:

I've been reading the letter over and over ever since I got it haha. I half expect it to disappear or for it to have been sent to the wrong person or for me to realize I actually read the whole thing wrong and it was a rejection letter after all

The imposter syndrome is STRONG. Jesus. I feel too many emotions right now.

Fun fact: my early SOP was littered with minor typos (6+) that I found and corrected as time went on. I have been accepted to two of the programs where there were a bunch of typos and rejected from two that were relatively clean. I guess it doesn't matter that much after all.

3 minutes ago, deutsch1997bw said:

Do you think that all decisions have been announced?

well...I want to believe that not all decisions have been made. However, my optimism is dwindling every minute....:(

18 minutes ago, deutsch1997bw said:

Same with me at Washington. Just hang in there until you've heard back everyone.

And congrats to everyone who got into Michigan today. Not going to lie, was really hopeful for that program, but at the same time in no way surprised. Feel as if that's the nature of applications to top programs!

10 minutes ago, buckinghamubadger said:

Fun fact: my early SOP was littered with minor typos (6+) that I found and corrected as time went on. I have been accepted to two of the programs where there were a bunch of typos and rejected from two that were relatively clean. I guess it doesn't matter that much after all.

By correlation, typos get people into grad school

8 minutes ago, Hamb said:

Same with me at Washington. Just hang in there until you've heard back everyone.

And congrats to everyone who got into Michigan today. Not going to lie, was really hopeful for that program, but at the same time in no way surprised. Feel as if that's the nature of applications to top programs!

If it is not a secret, what is the field of your interest?

I am so unspeakably thankful to my undergraduate professors. I know my recommendations must have been amazing because I cannot believe I was accepted to Michigan with no publications or even TA/research experience (or any big A "Academic" experience at all tbh... didn't even do a senior thesis). If anyone is in a similar situation feel free to message me as I had so much help and advice and would be more than happy to pass on the favor now. I think my letters of recommendation must have played a huge part. My SOP was quite strong too and very much in debt to two of my professors being honest and telling me my first draft was trash*

*Not the exact wording they used lol; mostly that draft was about my personal experience and read more like an undergraduate application essay.

Edited by cedfik