2017-2018 Application Cycle

IR44

My rejection letter from UC-Davis states the following:

"The program to which you applied indicated the following as the reason(s) that you were not selected for admission:

• No additional space available in the graduate program for this admissions cycle.
  • Academic work is not as competitive as that of other applicants."

Can anyone here help me figure out if this is specifically for me or does this seem generic? And if it is, what does academic work include?

11 hours ago, Hamb said:

Anybody else surprised about the lack of an official rejection from Berkeley? Most years it's a day or two after they send out rejections.

Same :huh: Are they just deciding between waitlist/reject? It's unlikely that they're going to be sending out any more acceptances... right?

5 minutes ago, Nelz said:

My rejection letter from UC-Davis states the following:

"The program to which you applied indicated the following as the reason(s) that you were not selected for admission:

• No additional space available in the graduate program for this admissions cycle.
  • Academic work is not as competitive as that of other applicants."

Can anyone here help me figure out if this is specifically for me or does this seem generic? And if it is, what does academic work include?

Looks to me like the adcomm made notes and the coordinator sent you their reasons out of a generic list that fit the notes they made. But then again, admissions are always idiosyncratic and I would take it with a grain of salt. 

30 minutes ago, deutsch1997bw said:

Do you think there's a chance that NW has not announced all acceptances?

I'm the most pessimistic about NW since no one was denied in that initial way. This makes me think that send in all their acceptances in one wave. But who knows, ya know? I'm not counting out any schools until I officially hear back.

14 minutes ago, possibleirphd said:

Well since I’m not the only one, I will safely assume that they are not done making decisions regarding waitlist vs reject. But same, I haven’t heard anything since Princeton rejects last week and I really want to hear something (positive) from Berkeley.

I'm in the same boat. And it wasn't like I really expected to get into Princeton anyway, so the denial didn't provide much closure.

4 minutes ago, polisciallday said:

Looks to me like the adcomm made notes and the coordinator sent you their reasons out of a generic list that fit the notes they made. But then again, admissions are always idiosyncratic and I would take it with a grain of salt. 

Yeah, I feel academic work could mean my written sample because I forgot to edit parts of the intro that weren't structured well. I realized it at a much later stage. By then I had applied to all schools in the US. :( No room for mistakes-it's not entirely a surprise. For NYU I emailed in early January to request for change in writing sample but they refused to replace it. This scares me the most that my NYU application will be rejected on the same grounds.

27 minutes ago, Nelz said:

Yeah, I feel academic work could mean my written sample because I forgot to edit parts of the intro that weren't structured well. I realized it at a much later stage. By then I had applied to all schools in the US. :( No room for mistakes-it's not entirely a surprise. For NYU I emailed in early January to request for change in writing sample but they refused to replace it. This scares me the most that my NYU application will be rejected on the same grounds.

Since every school's adcomm has slightly differing points they look for in an application, it might be that Davis places higher stock in your writing sample than other institutions. I'd say it could still go either way. Keep your chin up, don't count your rejections before they come because you never know for sure till you know for sure. Good luck for the rest of your applications! 

I've noticed that some people on this board have expressed some thoughts of depression after still not hearing back from any schools. Without sugarcoating anything, I'd like to remind you that it's not over until each school has rejected you. Each and every school reviews applicants with different eyes, and different eyes have a knack for seeing different things. Don't let one or even a few schools discourage your prospects at other places.

But in the case you don't get into any schools, please acknowledge that in the grand scheme of life, your story is not over here--far from it. Where one door closes another opens, so make sure you're looking for that next door too or you could miss it. 

I'm not experienced with meditation by any measure but I've provided a link below. It's a guided meditation for over-thinking, anxiety, and depression. I have some very close friends that say this helps them tremendously. Best of luck to everyone still waiting for that first acceptance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vx8iUvfyCY

25 minutes ago, displaynamehere said:

For the people who were asked earlier in the week to send their official transcripts to NYU, what happened? Have you heard back since? 

Acceptance came after I gave them the document.

1 hour ago, cedfik said:

Also told the same thing about my undergrad institution

Told this by mine as well. Because of how highly it is ranked and other (personal) reasons, I did an MA at another school. Was told this could work, but no results yet.

53 minutes ago, polisciallday said:

Since every school's adcomm has slightly differing points they look for in an application, it might be that Davis places higher stock in your writing sample than other institutions. I'd say it could still go either way. Keep your chin up, don't count your rejections before they come because you never know for sure till you know for sure. Good luck for the rest of your applications! 

Thank you so much! Waiting it out through march. Canadian schools will send their decisions then.

On 2/5/2018 at 10:10 AM, sbs2018 said:

Same for me with Duke. I suppose there is still a chance. Perhaps I am on the waitlist. In any case, I have yet to hear from many schools, 10, including Duke. Theory subfield for me--so the offering are scant, as are the job postings. So, securing a spot in an excellent program is especially important. Since I do politics and religion, I am hoping ND, Duke, and U Chicago will send out some offers this week...

Another UChicago theory kid who dabbles in political theology over here! (More as an outgrowth of Machiavelli studies, though.) Waiting with you in solidarity... Hoping good things for both of us :)