2017-2018 Application Cycle

IR44

Is anyone else still waiting to hear from Duke or Michigan? I haven’t received an email from either, even checked spam, and both portals are unchanged with no option to view decision. I have even cleared the cookies and caches, tried different browsers etc... anyone else in this situation? 

6 minutes ago, SerenityNow! said:

Is anyone else still waiting to hear from Duke or Michigan? I haven’t received an email from either, even checked spam, and both portals are unchanged with no option to view decision. I have even cleared the cookies and caches, tried different browsers etc... anyone else in this situation? 

Didn’t apply to Michigan, but can speak for Duke. Honestly, I do not understand the hold up because acceptances/waitlists/rejections have been sent. What happened to our applications lol I’m going crazy waiting 

Claim a WUSTL acceptance!! Received an email this morning asking to check the website. 23k stipend for 6 years. Very excited as it is a very good fit for me.

One question for those who know the defer process: due to personal issues, I have to defer enrollment for a year. I wonder if it is possible to defer for a year and how it may affect fundings? It would be great to have a WUSTL-specific answer but experience from other universities are also welcome!

2 minutes ago, buckinghamubadger said:

So it seems highly likely that I'm going to hear from WashU sometime tomorrow. I am extremely nervous. 

Same here; nearly tore apart my inbox thinking the notification must have slipped through. Will just have to wait now.

33 minutes ago, buckinghamubadger said:

Awesome! Sounds like the day really turned around for you

Thanks! Actually, I already had an unofficial letter from it.  I thought Washu was one of my best fit & choices so waited for the result from it but alas, it denied me like many others including Duke, Michigan, UCSD, Wisconsin, and Princeton (plus Northwestern which has not informed me anything until now)

I posted to let others know that NYU are sending official letters out.

And speaking of devil, I also just received the official acceptance from Arizona while I am writing this. It is a good program but I think I would decline it so anyone who's in waitlist can have their chance.

Now I am waiting for Columbia (hopefully within this week) and Yale. I also applied to other schools - out of panic being an "all-reject", more than 15 programs - but since I luckily get into NYU which is one of my top choices, I do not mind even if any other than two reject me or what.

Edited by Albert01

So I think UW-Seattle is handling their admissions exactly the wrong way, whereas Michigan handled theirs exactly right. Michigan sent out their rejections and acceptances within 15 minutes of each other, so as soon as the decision was made, you knew. UW-Seattle more than likely has accepted their top choices to the program and are waiting to see how many accept/decline the offer while not rejecting anyone. More than likely 90+ precent of those who have not been offered admissions already will be rejected,  but they are waiting to send out a blanket rejection until they know that they have filled up the cohort, so even though most who have heard nothing have a 0 percent chance of getting into the University of Washington, we probably won't know that we've been rejected until like mid March. If you ask me, that isn't the way to treat people who applied to your program. I'm thankful that I don't care much about the outcome that much and can't imagine how much anxiety I would have if it were my top choice. I really don't think that style of admissions is fair to applicants.

54 minutes ago, buckinghamubadger said:

So I think UW-Seattle is handling their admissions exactly the wrong way, whereas Michigan handled theirs exactly right. Michigan sent out their rejections and acceptances within 15 minutes of each other, so as soon as the decision was made, you knew. UW-Seattle more than likely has accepted their top choices to the program and are waiting to see how many accept/decline the offer while not rejecting anyone. More than likely 90+ precent of those who have not been offered admissions already will be rejected,  but they are waiting to send out a blanket rejection until they know that they have filled up the cohort, so even though most who have heard nothing have a 0 percent chance of getting into the University of Washington, we probably won't know that we've been rejected until like mid March. If you ask me, that isn't the way to treat people who applied to your program. I'm thankful that I don't care much about the outcome that much and can't imagine how much anxiety I would have if it were my top choice. I really don't think that style of admissions is fair to applicants.

I think this is what Berkeley is doing also ...

Lo and behold, scheduling conflicts galore! Is anyone else this season having difficulties scheduling a prospective student visit? If so, how are you dealing with it? 

I can find very little info on the specifics of alternative weekend visits. Do departments typically still cover your costs if you visit outside of the official weekend? Is asking for a different visit day a huge no-no for political science departments?

I know I need to ask the department's coordinator to get the real logistics, but I'm restraining myself from emailing them until 8 AM tomorrow like the reasonable adult I pretend to be. Curious to hear other people's experiences/takes on this forum. 

14 minutes ago, megabee said:

Lo and behold, scheduling conflicts galore! Is anyone else this season having difficulties scheduling a prospective student visit? If so, how are you dealing with it? 

I can find very little info on the specifics of alternative weekend visits. Do departments typically still cover your costs if you visit outside of the official weekend? Is asking for a different visit day a huge no-no for political science departments?

I know I need to ask the department's coordinator to get the real logistics, but I'm restraining myself from emailing them until 8 AM tomorrow like the reasonable adult I pretend to be. Curious to hear other people's experiences/takes on this forum. 

I actually teach a community college class on Fridays, so this issue is very real for me. How have I handled it thus far?

Well I'm not going to do any sort of visit with Colorado because I've already 100 percent ruled it out.

UCI is a local program, so I am attending any events scheduled not during the time of my class. 

Notre Dame is my top choice of programs I've gotten into and luckily their visiting day is a day on which I have an exam scheduled, so I got a fellow adjunct to cover for me.

At Mizzou, I am not going to the visit day, but may skype in for some events and will contact POIs and grad students to get a feel for the program. 

If I get into any other schools, I plan to try to get them to fly me out on the weekend of my CC's Spring Break.

Luckily I think  USC might do a Sat., Sun, Mon thing, so I won't be affected.

So Tl:Dr, a variety of ways.

2 hours ago, megabee said:

I am an international student and I got into 5 schools when I applied. They all had different visiting weekends, but they of course wouldn't cover the costs of overseas airfare, so I chose one I definitely wanted to see, and scheduled alternate days to visit the other schools while I was in the US. The private schools were in fact more welcoming to the idea, and offered to cover some of the costs of my trip.

I think you should definitely go to your first choice, and email the other departments that have conflicting days and propose different dates. Good luck and congrats! 

1 hour ago, jnk79 said:

I've been waitlisted for NYU (they let me know last Friday). The only non-rejection I have so far, so really hoping things will work out. What do you guys think the odds are of getting off the waitlist?

wow, congrats! That means NYU has sent out their decisions mostly. How many people are usually on their waitlist?

@possibleirphd yes! After seeing all three options (r/a/w) on the board I wonder if they have just completely forgotten about our apps! I know they at least looked at mine because they had a question about my UG transcript - I had to transfer during UG and one of the transcripts represents that weirdly. I was trying to tell myself I haven’t received it yet because I’m at the very end alphabetically (a classic reason for getting things late) but that no longer seems very plausible haha. I’m just glad I’m not alone!