2017-2018 Application Cycle

IR44

33 minutes ago, Coffee114 said:

Any updates on when UC Santa Barbara will be sending out results 

I believe the 16-18th Feb weekend is going to be very crucial 

I just want to enjoy the Olympic opening ceremony, not my applied school. Whoo.... today I also cannot sleep. 

11 minutes ago, diter91 said:

What schools are we expecting next week??

My notes say to expect UPenn, Notre Dame, Cornell, Brown, and Georgetown around Feb 15. This is based on reported acceptances from the previous year. But, I know someone has heard from ND already (maybe an early notice though) and that someone else mentioned that UPenn will be a few more weeks. At this point, I am just hoping I know what's up by mid March.

EDIT: If we don't hear from Chicago today, I don't know when we'll hear. It is already a week past when they notified last year.

Edited by sbs2018

14 minutes ago, sbs2018 said:

EDIT: If we don't hear from Chicago today, I don't know when we'll hear. It is already a week past when they notified last year.

If we don't hear from Chicago today, I think it's safe to assume that they hated everyone's applications and decided to admit 0 people this year.

...Kidding. Mostly. Kidding. Hah.  

(Edit: Of course, we did just invite a swarm of trolls with this, so.) 

Edited by ArcierePrudente

6 minutes ago, ArcierePrudente said:

If we don't hear from Chicago today, I think it's safe to assume that they hated everyone's applications and decided to admit 0 people this year.

I hope not. But really, shouldn't we hear from them today? I am silly to think we will?

Question about visit days:

Does anyone have any idea what the dress code is for these weekends? I have spent a few years in the working world at an extremely formal office (suits/designer dresses/NO casual Fridays/heels every day/etc...) and have essentially forgotten that my TAs in college wore. I know it is always better to be more formal rather than too casual but I also don't want to be the only lady in a pants suit and pumps when everyone else is in jeans and sneakers. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

22 minutes ago, ArcierePrudente said:

...Kidding. Mostly. Kidding. Hah.  

(Edit: Of course, we did just invite a swarm of trolls with this, so.) 

Have you got any news from social thought? or your POI from social thought?

8 minutes ago, SerenityNow! said:

Does anyone have any idea what the dress code is for these weekends? I have spent a few years in the working world at an extremely formal office (suits/designer dresses/NO casual Fridays/heels every day/etc...) and have essentially forgotten that my TAs in college wore. I know it is always better to be more formal rather than too casual but I also don't want to be the only lady in a pants suit and pumps when everyone else is in jeans and sneakers. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

I was also wondering about this.  I asked the person coordinating the visit day and she said there was no dress code. So maybe ask the coordinator first, but I found this thread helpful, which basically suggested nice jeans and a blouse.

Edited by audre.bored

5 minutes ago, SerenityNow! said:

So far one of mine has specifically said it was casual (I LOVE when events specify the attire). 

I've also been working for several years, although in a less formal office.  I was planning to do more of a slacks/boots or flats/sweater business casual look if I don't know specifically what to expect.  I know one involves a campus tour, so I'll probably do more comfortable shoes for that one.  Hope that helps!  I'd love to hear other peoples thoughts as well.

Does an offer without a funding package mean a polite rejection? The letter sent by DGS says that "...department's ability to provide funding is in flux" and that they will contact me immediately as soon as a funding package is available. I was wondering if anyone could interpret it :)

35 minutes ago, sbs2018 said:

I hope not. But really, shouldn't we hear from them today? I am silly to think we will?

I want to say yes (we should) and no (you aren't), but we live in a world where Donald Trump is President, the Eagles won the Super Bowl, and an actress showed up to an awards show wearing a $300 shirt that said 'Poverty is Sexism.' So at this point, I'm willing to entertain the most absurd outcome for just about anything. 

Kidding-not-kidding aside, inexplicable waiting times are sort of par for the course in academia, so you can think of this as training, if that makes it any better. I have some Stoic meditations that really help during times like these. 

21 minutes ago, Nicholashjbc said:

Have you got any news from social thought? or your POI from social thought?

Social Thought tends to release admission decisions later than Poli-Sci (I think the earliest they've released has actually been the 9th), so I'm less confused about their timeline this year. That said, I've deliberately not reached out to anyone since applying, and am keeping my distance from my personal email account. At this point I'm liable to over-analyze any communication I have with anyone there, and that helps no one. 

43 minutes ago, Sheldon2017 said:

Does an offer without a funding package mean a polite rejection? The letter sent by DGS says that "...department's ability to provide funding is in flux" and that they will contact me immediately as soon as a funding package is available. I was wondering if anyone could interpret it :)

Which university?

44 minutes ago, Sheldon2017 said:

It means they've accepted you but they don't have funding for you yet. They probably want you in their department but they aren't dumb and realize what not offering you funding would mean

@hs2011 @audre.bored Thank you for posting those threads! Very helpful! Looks like I have a little shopping to do since I don't have a anything between suits/pumps and workout/lounge clothes. The only non heels I have are ratty gym shoes and over the knee boots (which I love but, which sadly, probably aren't visit appropriate). I am 100% sure I am over thinking this - which is what everyone on the other threads also says - I think it is just a combination of excitement and nerves manifesting itself in a weird way!

Re dress-code, you just want to look presentable. Be yourself, is the best I can tell you. I have been to such visits and have seen students come for visits to my current program. If you look professional it helps, but you don't need to wear a suit, that's over-dressing and you will look out of place (because, really, grad students don't wear suits everyday). If you're an investment banker and you're going for a visit, then sure do wear a suit, but if you're an investment banker I'd advise you to stay there and avoid academia...

Overall, don't overthink it. Look nice, presentable, but don't over-dress...

Also re shoes you want something comfortable. You may be going up and down the stairs, or walking around campus on a tour. If you are from a warm climate (like California) going to a cold state (like Michigan) then don't forget that you need to dress warmly (and vice versa). This sounds so basic but some people do forget how cold it gets in some states or are just to stressed to think about it...

4 minutes ago, PoliSci-freak said:

Seems a little odd, just communicated with the grad coordinator and who said there are no official news yet...

This is good to know. I think we could hear from them next week sometime, based on when previous years' decisions were announced. A very sophisticated troll...

3 minutes ago, deutsch1997bw said:

This is good to know. I think we could hear from them next week sometime, based on when previous years' decisions were announced. A very sophisticated troll...

Maybe not a troll, maybe just a stellar applicant who was marked as the very top applicant in their pool. Either way, the coordinator said end of next week is reasonable to expect a response... Have you been in contact with anybody there?

To all those sartorially challenged, can you please move the discussion to someplace else? Create a new thread if you will. This forum is for sharing admission news and developments. Besides, this conversation adds to the stress levels of a large number of people who have yet to hear any good news. Heck, a couple of them have even expressed suicidal thoughts. No offense!