2017-2018 Application Cycle

IR44

8 minutes ago, StudyinMountains said:

Seeing as it's past 5 pm on the East Coast, I'm assuming no more decisions are coming out today. Anyone else dreading another weekend in application purgatory?

2a / 3r / 0w / 8p

It's only just 4PM in Chicago...

Heavens. I mean Purgatory. Maybe even the first circle, with all the virtuous Pagans. 

35 minutes ago, Sheldon2017 said:

I would call it a polite rejection :)

I wouldn't call it a rejection at all. Regardless of whether it was a sincere 'we haven't got the funding'—or a money-hungry attempt to gouge you for what you have left after all those application fees—they wouldn't admit someone they weren't interested in investing their time in (as well as, quite likely, at least some of their money). 

But this actually brings up a question I have on the subject of funding. On a couple of my apps, I was asked what I thought I'd be able to contribute financially toward my own PhD studies. I gave an honest projection (conservative, but not cringingly paltry) and have been second-guessing myself ever since. Could the amount I entered be used to take me out of the running, simply because an adcomm deemed me 'too expensive'? Or would they be more likely to send an offer of admission (if they dug me), state whatever funding they were willing to provide, and leave it up to me to determine whether or not I could afford it? 

1 hour ago, StudyinMountains said:

Seeing as it's past 5 pm on the East Coast, I'm assuming no more decisions are coming out today. Anyone else dreading another weekend in application purgatory?

2a / 3r / 0w / 8p

1 hour ago, ArcierePrudente said:

It's only just 4PM in Chicago...

Heavens. I mean Purgatory. Maybe even the first circle, with all the virtuous Pagans. 

I wouldn't call it a rejection at all. Regardless of whether it was a sincere 'we haven't got the funding'—or a money-hungry attempt to gouge you for what you have left after all those application fees—they wouldn't admit someone they weren't interested in investing their time in (as well as, quite likely, at least some of their money). 

But this actually brings up a question I have on the subject of funding. On a couple of my apps, I was asked what I thought I'd be able to contribute financially toward my own PhD studies. I gave an honest projection (conservative, but not cringingly paltry) and have been second-guessing myself ever since. Could the amount I entered be used to take me out of the running, simply because an adcomm deemed me 'too expensive'? Or would they be more likely to send an offer of admission (if they dug me), state whatever funding they were willing to provide, and leave it up to me to determine whether or not I could afford it? 

Well, I guess I spoke too soon. Just got accepted to UCLA. I'm visibly shaking in shock. 

3a / 3r / 0w / 7p

To anyone with the:

To date, no decision has been made on your application.

Please note that most decisions on graduate admissions for fall term are made in the months of March and April and therefore you should not anticipate a decision much before that time period.

for UCLA it doesn't necessarily mean it's a waitlist or rejection. Had that notice as my decision until today but just received a letter of acceptance!

10 minutes ago, cedfik said:

To anyone with the:

To date, no decision has been made on your application.

Please note that most decisions on graduate admissions for fall term are made in the months of March and April and therefore you should not anticipate a decision much before that time period.

for UCLA it doesn't necessarily mean it's a waitlist or rejection. Had that notice as my decision until today but just received a letter of acceptance!

I received a letter of acceptance too. Did yours have a funding offer in it? I unfortunately was put on a waitlist for funding. 

9 hours ago, arctic_ice said:

Has anyone applied to Rochester? Have you received any news from this University?

Hey, I've learned that the adcomm will be making their final decision very soon. I assume it will be available early next week, which should mean they have not sent any acceptance/rejection yet.

Edited by ThirtySthGang

9 hours ago, buckinghamubadger said:

You certainly can accept it, but most wouldn't advise going into debt to pay for a PhD. They understand that without funding, most will probably not accept the offer. You could, however, look for external funding such as non-department fellowships sources under which scenario going to the program in question may be advisable. 

You have been accepted to the program, but it's really only advisable to go if you have some sort of funding source.

So like one in ten will likely accept in that case, on average.

12 hours ago, buckinghamubadger said:

Just rejected from Seattle. Not a surprise. It was already off my list anyways. The thing that did surprised me is that Michael McCann, ho is a giant in judicial politics and public law, wrote the email. 

Accepted: Notre Dame, Missouri, Colorado, UC Irvine

Waitlisted: WashU-STL

Rejected: Princeton, Michigan, Univ of Washington

Pending: Brandeis, USC

With a score of 4.5/8, I would say it is not a bad showing at all.

1 hour ago, sbs2018 said:

Sounds like some people are being interviewed for UPENN. I applied there but haven't been contacted. Should I assume I am out at this point? 

I cannot speak specifically for UPenn (I am also in the same boat as you) but some institutions only use interviews to clarify fit or some aspect of the application. No point in wasting time on an interview if someone is a definite good fit.

I'm not counting myself out yet, I don't think you should either. Maybe I'm just being optimistic, but we're not out of the running until there's a rejection letter.

6 hours ago, ThirtySthGang said:

Hey, I've learned that the adcomm will be making their final decision very soon. I assume it will be available early next week, which should mean they have not sent any acceptance/rejection yet.

Thank you for this info!

Congrats on those of you who received UNC acceptances(@dr.strange, @megabee, etc.)

My understanding is there are still a few more to go--you'll notice that almost all of the acceptances on the results board are comparative/IR. 

If you have any questions, please shoot me a message. I'm a current student in the department and happy to help. 

Two things: I'm really surprised that I am the only person who has heard from Notre Dame on here. I mean I heard unusually early for them, but still I would think someone would have heard something by now.

Also I'm currently only waiting on two decisions: USC and Brandeis. I'm surprised Brandeis doesn't get more love and have no idea why it is ranked in the 80s in the US News rankings. They have nine TT placements over the past five years, which is remarkable considering that the program currently has only ten doctoral students.

1 hour ago, buckinghamubadger said:

Two things: I'm really surprised that I am the only person who has heard from Notre Dame on here. I mean I heard unusually early for them, but still I would think someone would have heard something by now.

Also I'm currently only waiting on two decisions: USC and Brandeis. I'm surprised Brandeis doesn't get more love and have no idea why it is ranked in the 80s in the US News rankings. They have nine TT placements over the past five years, which is remarkable considering that the program currently has only ten doctoral students.

I (theory subfield) was waitlisted by Notre Dame yesterday. I had thought that meant that an entire first wave of fifteen offers had gone out, but seeing as there aren't any others besides you, perhaps not. Then again, those people just might not be on this site...

15 minutes ago, EternalFootman said:

I (theory subfield) was waitlisted by Notre Dame yesterday. I had thought that meant that an entire first wave of fifteen offers had gone out, but seeing as there aren't any others besides you, perhaps not. Then again, those people just might not be on this site...

Strange. I applied to ND as a theory student as well. Haven't heard anything from them yet.

26 minutes ago, PoliSci45889 said:

I received a generic email telling me to check decision on the website from the Graduate School. Decision letter itself was generic and from DGS

It looks like they stagger rejections, so I'm expecting one in the next couple of weeks.