2017-2018 Application Cycle

IR44

4 hours ago, buckinghamubadger said:

I'm surprised Brandeis doesn't get more love and have no idea why it is ranked in the 80s in the US News rankings. They have nine TT placements over the past five years, which is remarkable considering that the program currently has only ten doctoral students.

Well, I haven't even heard of half of these universities (there's a couple of good placements, though). They have 15 faculty members. It's a tiny program. They don't have a methods sequence from the looks of their course catalog. Not that surprising really?

Eva Bellin's work is pretty cool though...

Edited by Comparativist

59 minutes ago, ilyosha said:

Kind of a silly question but...did they cold call you? Earlier today I got out of a movie with my SO only to see that I had missed repeated calls from a Tennessee area code, which seemed weird without any additional email, text, voicemail, etc.

I got a really friendly email from a Vanderbilt grad student asking if we could set up a time to talk over skype or facetime! It may be because I’m an international student though so it would be necessary to negotiate the time difference 

This sounds like a dumb question but I just got a really lovely email from an assisstant professor at one of my top choices. He signed off with his first name but it would be best to address him in my reply as “Professor X”, right? I usually wouldn’t ask but all three of my LOR profs have told me to address them by their first names when I stayed in touch with them post graduation and I’d noted that one of my TAs when I was an undergrad addressed the prof by his first name. I’m guessing I begin w “Professor X” though and maybe later would move on to first names if prompted. Ugh, I’m culturally conditoned to feel extremely uncomfortable addressing professors by their first name lol but wasn’t sure if this was expected of grad students.

Edited by cedfik

12 minutes ago, cedfik said:

This sounds like a dumb question but I just got a really lovely email from an assisstant professor at one of my top choices. He signed off with his first name but it would be best to address him in my reply as “Professor X”, right? I usually wouldn’t ask but all three of my LOR profs have told me to address them by their first names when I stayed in touch with them post graduation and I’d noted that one of my TAs when I was an undergrad addressed the prof by his first name. I’m guessing I begin w “Professor X” though and maybe later would move on to first names if prompted. Ugh, I’m culturally conditoned to feel extremely uncomfortable addressing professors by their first name lol but wasn’t sure if this was expected of grad students.

My feeling is that it's always best to continue with "Professor X" until someone explicitly tells you to address them by their first name. Although I am far more conservative on this than everyone I know, I think it simply never hurts to stay on "Professor" until told otherwise.

11 minutes ago, cedfik said:

I second @ilyosha on this, though I've been culturally conditioned here in my country to call everyone by their first name haha 

8 minutes ago, ilyosha said:

My feeling is that it's always best to continue with "Professor X" until someone explicitly tells you to address them by their first name. Although I am far more conservative on this than everyone I know, I think it simply never hurts to stay on "Professor" until told otherwise.

4 minutes ago, Gik said:

I second @ilyosha on this, though I've been culturally conditioned here in my country to call everyone by their first name haha 

Thank you both! :P

38 minutes ago, skhann said:

Probably the slowest Sunday on this thread.

I guess it's time for the Sunday lookahead. Any thoughts about who we can expect to hear from this week? (Bonus question: how do you model the distribution of admissions decisions for a given department? (Don't answer that.))  

Very limited results skimming suggests that last year, Stanford, MIT, Yale and Columbia all released results on the Friday of the third week. I.e. this Friday.

Edited by Sartori

5 minutes ago, Sartori said:

I guess it's time for the Sunday lookahead. Any thoughts about who we can expect to hear from this week? (Bonus question: how do you model the distribution of admissions decisions for a given department? (Don't answer that.))  

:)

Anyway, I can only talk about my applications. Vanderbilt appears to have interviewed those it wanted to admit with chances of an invite getting slimmer. Minnesota is likely to announce by the end of this week or early next week.

Hi everyone! Long time lurker here--better late than never?? Thank you to everyone for keeping me (somewhat) sane during this application process filled with staggered acceptances, wait-lists, and rejections. @poliscibi I will be at GWU tomorrow, shoot me a PM if you want to discuss!

9 minutes ago, skhann said:

Minnesota is likely to announce by the end of this week or early next week.

Per Jessie Eastman, the graduate secretary at Minnesota, admissions decisions will be released the week of 2/19.

I feel like there's a decent chance that we will hear form Indiana this week. 

46 minutes ago, Sartori said:

Very limited results skimming suggests that last year, Stanford, MIT, Yale and Columbia all released results on the Friday of the third week. I.e. this Friday.

USC is very likely this week

2 hours ago, poliscibi said:

Anyone going to GWU? 

I was planning on going, but it would’ve been for purely selfish reason to get a free trip to visit friends since I wasn’t planning on attending if offered. I called them last week to offer my spot to someone else. I hope someone is excited to go in my stead!