2017-2018 Application Cycle

IR44

15 hours ago, csantamir said:

Has everyone accepted or waitlisted been contacted by Notre Dame? I haven’t so presume I’m out.

I mean, I guess we don't know, since that's kind of like saying 'raise your hand if you aren't here' ;) ND technically does admissions until April, although those who receive an admit after a certain point were likely on the waiting list prior to that... not sure when that 'certain point' actually is. 

In other news, I propose that everyone waiting on Chicago makes it a point to actively expect acceptances NOT to be released this week. Otherwise we'll have to admit we can't actually control the outcome by ourselves, and I'm not ready to do that yet. 

35 minutes ago, PoliSci-freak said:

Congrats! Which program? MRes/PhD in Political Science in the Department of Government? Did you have an interview?

Thank you! No and it was an MSc program (I applied to a lot* of PhD level programs and a few MA level)--no word on funding though (though I doubt it's going to be much) but I'm prioritizing my PhD applications anyway, so it's fine

*too many, in retrospect

4 minutes ago, CandyCanes said:

Was it to check the portal or just a letter of acceptance attached?

It's a letter so I would wait for a while and keep an eye on that inbox. Fingers crossed for everyone else here that applied as well, I'm wishing you all the best.

Waitlisted at Brandeis. Somewhat surprised because they sent me recruitment emails, but also not that surprising given that their website says they accept two to five applicants every year.

Accepted: Notre Dame, Missouri, Colorado, UC Irvine

Waitlisted: Brandeis, WashU-STL

Rejected: Michigan, Princeton, Univ. Of Washington

Pending: USC

Would anyone be interested in helping me build a regression model to help calculate the probability of admission at any given program for political scientists?

I tried to make estimates for myself using GRE scores/ranges, a program fit estimate, personal connections/whether or not I received recruitment contacting from the program and the quality of the application I sent off. I believe now after being waitlisted at Brandeis and partly (though less so) because I was waitlisted at WashU, that one factor I failed to control for was program size. My research experience was also a constant for myself, so that would be something I would be interested in looking at. Obviously GPA and undergrad institution rank would be important factors to look at. 

Anyways, if I'm going to do so, it will require data. That's where some of you come in. I am capable of coding the regression in R, but may also need someone to translate this into a workable model in HTML. Otherwise, I could just post the regression model here somewhere and allow people to calculate their own odds of admissions if they are interested.  

This is part of my ongoing project to provide more information to people who are at the beginning of this process (I plan on posting useful data for new applicants in March). PM me if you are interested in providing me with data and I will send you back a survey once I write it.