2017-2018 Application Cycle

IR44

1 hour ago, PE_Methods said:

Yes! Formal notifications will be sent tomorrow. 

So if we don't receive anything tomorrow, I assume we should expect rejection?

Also, I'm guessing if I haven't heard from Indiana or UT-Austin that I've been rejected there as well?

Edited by komina12345

18 minutes ago, komina12345 said:

So if we don't receive anything tomorrow, I assume we should expect rejection?

Also, I'm guessing if I haven't heard from Indiana or UT-Austin that I've been rejected there as well?

I wouldn't assume so. Maybe it'll only be the CP subfield. Im not sure how they release admissions decisions. 

40 minutes ago, komina12345 said:

22 minutes ago, PE_Methods said:

I wouldn't assume so. Maybe it'll only be the CP subfield. Im not sure how they release admissions decisions. 

I agree with @PE_Methods on this one. I wouldn't worry just yet. I spoke with someone on faculty this morning who mentioned that most schools that haven't informed you when other applicants have heard back are also waiting to hear back from accepted applicants to make sure they can fill their classes. So once the big names (CHYMPS + other T10 programs) release their admissions results + funding, you should begin to hear from most of your programs. And IF you don't hear back then, I would be skeptical.

8 minutes ago, Victor xu said:

My focus on IR, it seems that I failed already 

I wouldn't be too sure. You might be on some form of a wait list if you haven't heard from schools that have already released admissions decisions. You can also consider calling or emailing the department to find out.

6 hours ago, deutsch1997bw said:

I haven't received a rejection from Northwestern, either. Could it be that some acceptances were sent out, and that they are waiting to hear back? Depending on how many people the department hears back from, could more acceptances be sent out? I'm tempted to email the Director of Graduate Studies just to find out. Interestingly, some acceptances were sent out on 1/26 last year, and others on 2/13.

In case it helps, Northwestern will hold a prospective student weekend from March 1st through the 3rd. So probably some people will make a decision after that weekend and, if you're correct, some more acceptances could be sent out.

Edited by and654

7 hours ago, Applesandbananas said:

Yeah, I received emails from two professors not mentioned in my SOP and emails from one professor mentioned in my SOP. Makes me think I did a bad job selecting professors for my SOP...haha

Same, except I've heard nothing from anyone mentioned in my SOP. 

2 hours ago, Alex@Beijing said:

Do you guys think it is necessary to take the school visit?

I am now in Beijing so it would just be a very long trip...

Also wondering about this because it seems quite expensive + messy to fly to RDU from the Netherlands..

Edited by dr.strange

1 hour ago, dr.strange said:

Also wondering about this because it seems quite expensive + messy to fly to RDU from the Netherlands..

3 hours ago, Alex@Beijing said:

I'm in the same boat. I'm living in SEA, but I've decided that it's not worth it to take the trip to visit schools since it's a 24+ hour journey. My plan is to set up calls with professors and grad students at my top choices, and I'm hoping that I can make a decision based off of that.

2 hours ago, audre.bored said:

Same, except I've heard nothing from anyone mentioned in my SOP. 

I've also received emails mostly from professors not in my SOP at other schools, so maybe this is normal? Or once again, I was just terrible and picking POI in my SOP.

4 hours ago, Alex@Beijing said:

I was also wondering about the same. But since it's going to cost a pretty penny, and I'd have to get a visa, I'm not going to attend. Instead, I'm connecting with professors and grad students at the schools that admitted me. I talked to some international students already, and they said they used the same tactic.

8 minutes ago, diter91 said:

Looking at past years, they usually send out notifications in early March. Their application deadline was Jan 15, so it hasn't even been a month.

Right. US schools are quick though. Even some Feb.1 deadliners are sending acceptances.

11 hours ago, Victor xu said:

Anyone has received offers from Illinois, UC Riverside, Texas at Austin, Texas A and M, Maryland, Colorado, Penn State, Florida State? 

I received an acceptance from Texas A&M on January 30th but it was a personal email from the department chair w/ a letter attached. Nothing in my portal has changed so they might be sending out official notices later?

If it makes you feel better I'm still waiting on Duke, which seems to have sent out acceptances, rejections, and waitlists.

Edited by SerenityNow!