2017-2018 Application Cycle

IR44

I mentioned this earlier, but of the 13 schools to which I applied (I mistakenly said 12 in a previous post) only 4 have gotten back: Penn (interview), Wisconsin Madison, UCLA, and Princeton. If schools like Duke and Northwestern have sent out acceptances and rejections how I should interpret the silent treatment I feel like I'm receiving? Is it possible that my application is being further reviewed, or that I may be waitlisted?

5 minutes ago, Clytemnahstra said:

I mentioned this earlier, but of the 13 schools to which I applied (I mistakenly said 12 in a previous post) only 4 have gotten back: Penn (interview), Wisconsin Madison, UCLA, and Princeton. If schools like Duke and Northwestern have sent out acceptances and rejections how I should interpret the silent treatment I feel like I'm receiving? Is it possible that my application is being further reviewed, or that I may be waitlisted?

Same boat as you with Duke... I am not sure how to interpret it.

Also, are we assuming Berkeley sent out all their acceptances already? I’m trying to hold out hope

11 minutes ago, hs2011 said:

Minnesota said they were sending decisions the week of the 19th

Right. Next week is the week of the 19th. If they're sending applications out then, why wouldn't be hear from them by the end of next week, at least?

12 minutes ago, Clytemnahstra said:

I'm wondering the same thing about Northwestern.

7 minutes ago, possibleirphd said:

Same boat as you with Duke... I am not sure how to interpret it.

Also, are we assuming Berkeley sent out all their acceptances already? I’m trying to hold out hope

Just want to be honest that Berkeley seems fairly far along in the visits process, e.g. they've been communicating with admits about dates and flight reimbursements and whatnot. However I still haven't received any funding info from them, which might imply that there are some kinks they're working out e.g. their waitlist.

1 hour ago, JMCrawfordNJ said:

Looks like Pitt acceptances were sent out, I heard nothing. So that's an official rejection from UCLA, and a likely rejection from Northwestern and Pitt. Not holding out much hope for Cornell, given I considered it the long shot of the four. I might return in a month or so, message some of you to see if you might share SOP and things like that, get an idea of how to improve my application for next cycle. I know the impulse is to say not to lose hope yet, but I'm a realist. I can see from the profile of acceptances that my GRE was obvious weaker than I had anticipated, and there may be other parts of my application that needed work as well. I see no reason to pin my hopes on the idea of a long shot application beating out strong applications in a highly competitive process. Needless to say I will be much better informed and prepared come fall for the next cycle.

I congratulate you all who got accepted, you earned it. Best of luck to everybody still trying. 

I don't know about your GRE score but here is some useful information about the average quant score for some of the doctoral programs over:

UCSD: 162
Chicago: 158
Wisconsin–Madison: 159
George Washington: 157
Vanderbilt: 155
Iowa: 157
Binghamton: 155
Washington University in St. Louis: 162
Notre Dame: 158

3 minutes ago, sbs2018 said:

Yeah. Anyone have a sense of when it is appropriate to contact and ask?

In my experience, the department is not that responsive. I've sent two emails -- not regarding my status or anything, but general inquiries before I even submitted the application -- and I never got a response. Perhaps it would be best to email Prof. Reno, who I believe is handling this stuff.

10 minutes ago, Throwaway_polisci said:

Just want to be honest that Berkeley seems fairly far along in the visits process, e.g. they've been communicating with admits about dates and flight reimbursements and whatnot. However I still haven't received any funding info from them, which might imply that there are some kinks they're working out e.g. their waitlist.

I appreciate your honesty! I just wish they would send those notifications already! It’s been a while since they started accepting people on this thread.

8 minutes ago, deutsch1997bw said:

In my experience, the department is not that responsive. I've sent two emails -- not regarding my status or anything, but general inquiries before I even submitted the application -- and I never got a response. Perhaps it would be best to email Prof. Reno, who I believe is handling this stuff.

Started emailing him, then figured I should just shut up and wait. So, just going to wait. But, thanks for the tip.

27 minutes ago, Clytemnahstra said:

Also odd that I haven't heard back from Duke in my particular case. As an alumnus (and advisee of the department chair), I know the department is wary of accepting one of their own, so I find it weird that they haven't denied me yet.

20 minutes ago, deutsch1997bw said:

Yeah same here ? they are not responsive

1 hour ago, Clytemnahstra said:

I was wait listed at Duke.  Didn't apply to Northwestern.  So if you didn't hear anything back from Duke, I don't know what to make of it

Edited by Ayerbender

41 minutes ago, possibleirphd said:

I appreciate your honesty! I just wish they would send those notifications already! It’s been a while since they started accepting people on this thread.

Berkeley's website states the dept. will contact mid-Feb., but official decisions are March 1 :(

13 minutes ago, cpmethods said:

You are not alone... i guess they sent them out yesterday

Further up someone said that they got an informal notification from a POI with official notifications coming today, so I wouldn't count yourself out until tomorrow.

Edit: Ah nevermind looks like they've done phone calls per above.

Edited by Throwaway_polisci