2017-2018 Application Cycle

IR44

32 minutes ago, Throwaway_polisci said:

Nope. Rifling through spam folders right now but it looks like nothing. So bizarre! Did anyone here get an email from the Department? I want to make sure I didn't miss anything

Nope, I also got a letter today but haven't heard anything from them via email

41 minutes ago, Throwaway_polisci said:

Thank you! And Domestic. I live in the Northeastern corridor and it looks like it was super express, so presumably the package got here before they had the chance to reach out via email.

*checks mail box in major city on the NE corridor*

Nope. Although I did get a notification that a FedEx letter had been delivered to me today. It was my MA diploma. Satisfying, but certainly not what I had hoped it was.  

Do let us know when (if) you receive an email notification. I’m moving in a couple of weeks and have nightmares about schools sending any sort of decision via snail mail to my former address and mail forwarding missing it!

2 hours ago, buckinghamubadger said:

Waitlisted at USC too. Looks like I'm almost certainly going to Notre Dame, but maybe the waitlists might change that.

And thus, the non-waitlist portion of my cycle ends:

Accepted: Notre Dame, UC Irvine, Colorado, Missouri

Waitlisted: USC, WashU-STL, Brandeis

Rejected: Michigan, Princeton, Univ of Washington

3 hours ago, Wongs said:

usc waitlisted.

all Admission acceptance have been sent according to the email.

good luck

please reject if you have better offer. This is my top choice

I'm assuming that given I didn't get an acceptance or a waitlist notification that I've been rejected from my own alma mater, but I'm just happy to have a fallback option now. Then again, it certainly seemed that I was rejected when I talked with my POI and she mentioned how many highly qualified international students applied this year. 

So, once again speaking for my sister, but are all Berkeley, Northwestern, MIT, Indiana, Texas, UPenn, and Georgia acceptances sent out already? 

I don't want to be the one to tell her that her dreams are over, but it seems like these schools already accepted everyone.

Also, congrats to any Harvard admits! You'll love it here.

4 hours ago, cpmethods said:

Just received a rejection from Stanford.. No email, just checked applyweb and a button called view your decision letter appeared..

If it makes you feel better, I got my rejection from Stanford before I even applied. I e-mailed my POI beforehand with my resume attached, and he honestly told me (in a gentle way since he was really nice about it) that I had less than a 0.001% chance of getting in. As a result, I didn't even bother applying. So at least you didn't get knocked out by Mike Tyson at the starting line.

Edited by komina12345

35 minutes ago, CambridgeHeismanLord said:

So, once again speaking for my sister, but are all Berkeley, Northwestern, MIT, Indiana, Texas, UPenn, and Georgia acceptances sent out already? 

I don't want to be the one to tell her that her dreams are over, but it seems like these schools already accepted everyone.

Some if not all of them have not sent out rejections. Would this be another great end-of-February-turnaround story?

Edited by BobBobBob

44 minutes ago, CambridgeHeismanLord said:

penn hasn't sent out anything yet, just gave some interviews

12 hours ago, redfive said:

claiming a cornell admit...man guys...been in hell for a while...don't want to say people should just hang in there 'cause bad things are real and happen but so too are good things. sheer dumb luck. best of wishes to all of you. be nice to yourselves!

1 hour ago, CambridgeHeismanLord said:

According to the graduate secretary at IU, decisions were still being made this week. She told me that decisions will be announced next week.

10 minutes ago, komina12345 said:

I can officially say I received a UT-Austin rejection. Strange seeing as my thesis was literally based around research done by my POI, but whatever.

Sometimes they don't like it when applicants mimic what their POI does. I am not saying that's what you did, but for whatever reasons, faculty see it as lacking an intellectual spark/independence (I've been in a PhD program for two years now and don't have those) if you resemble the research of your POI too closely, instead of viewing it as a strong statement by the applicant that they would find an intellectual fit in the department.

Edited by PoliSci-freak

11 minutes ago, PoliSci-freak said:

Sometimes they don't like it when applicants mimic what their POI does. I am not saying that's what you did, but for whatever reasons, faculty see it as lacking an intellectual spark/independence (I've been in a PhD program for two years now and don't have those) if you resemble the research of your POI too closely, instead of viewing it as a strong statement by the applicant that they would find an intellectual fit in the department.

Next time, I'll send my chemistry midterm essay to them as a writing sample instead.

To my fellow UT Austin rejections, I feel for you. I poured weeks into my application but I came up short. And as if it couldn’t get worse, I got rejected via a generic update to the website. It would have been nice to see a little compassion in the rejection. They couldn’t even mention my name.

Also, congrats to those who got in. 

12 minutes ago, komina12345 said:

Next time, I'll send my chemistry midterm essay to them as a writing sample instead.

That may in fact help, particularly if it uses jargon like independent and dependent variables, controls, and causal mechanisms, or some mention of experiments...

Edited by PoliSci-freak

46 minutes ago, PoliSci-freak said:

Given my application cycle so far, I'm inclined to agree that some schools seem to operate in this way. However, after all the hoopla made over "research fit", that's annoying if true.

I think part of this is also that schools have future intentions that applicants obviously won't know. Maybe they're trying to shift the build and focus of certain aspects, or maybe that POI has intentions to move or retire. That's where all this variance comes in.

Edited by Hamb