2017-2018 Application Cycle

IR44

3 minutes ago, biomed_PhD said:

Has anybody heard from Columbia's Integrated Cellular, Molecular, and Biomedical Studies program? Interviewed there 4 weeks ago and was told we would know by the end of this week.

Not sure you're asking the right people here mate. 

Although, while we're on the topic of Columbia, has anyone heard from Columbia? Lots of posts popping up now and then on the results page but I don't recall seeing anybody claiming them here. 

7 hours ago, katieb93 said:

Like is it worth it to spend another $1,000 on applications?

i could have actually enjoyed my life with that money. 

Feels like a PHD is just that for me - a dream.

Please don't take this as me trying to polish a cow turd (i.e., the fact that 'striking out' can be really devastating). I just wanted to say that maybe you're similar to me in that the actual creative/introspective elements of the application process were really fun. I dug writing my personal statements, it was fun to revise my writing sample, I got to admire my CV, say nice things about myself, and be grateful for how far I've come, regardless of where I go next. Hopefully you learned a lot about what you love, and thought about how to pursue those things through a variety of avenues—not just grad school, although this doesn't have to be the end of the road for you either as far as that's concerned. 

It's definitely sad when you put a lot of time, effort, energy, and faith into something and seemingly get nothing in return. In fact, that's universally really shitty and I'm sorry it happened to you this time (it may also happen to me—we'll see in a couple weeks). But I'd definitely try again this fall, if that still seems worthwhile to you. Personally, as I continue to wait, I'm trying to bring what I love to wherever I am/whatever I'm doing, and I hope you do the same. 

On 2/16/2018 at 1:57 PM, komina12345 said:

MIT reject. I'm happy with Maryland, but it'd feel better to have options...

I understand the percieved lack of opinions, but hold your head up, you got into a good program- no matter what the top-20 or bust crowd says.

32 minutes ago, Victor xu said:

anyone has the idea that what's the ranking on the waitlist getting you off the waitlist and make your final admission? I am ranking 8th on the waitlist and the department told me that my eventual admission is not good. Thanks 

8, I would say is a long shot but not an impossibility. It just depends on the school and whether or not you have a little or a lot giving up the one spot for a higher position. I would definitely not weigh all of your hope onto that position. But you could get lucky. 

1 hour ago, Victor xu said:

anyone has the idea that what's the ranking on the waitlist getting you off the waitlist and make your final admission? I am ranking 8th on the waitlist and the department told me that my eventual admission is not good. Thanks 

It depends which institution. Is it a top 5 program or what?

If it's a top 5-10, it's unlikely many will reject. People decline offers only if they have a better/higher-ranked alternative.

Also, note that programs know how many people to admit. If, historically, most of the students offered admission take the offer, they do not offer many more than they can actually take in. So if they want a class of 10, they'll admit 12-13. Other schools that have lower rates of admits accepting offers extend admission offers to (for example) 40 for a class of 15. So it really depends on the type of department you're looking at. I wish you the best!

Edited by PoliSci-freak

9 minutes ago, PoliSci-freak said:

It depends which institution. Is it a top 5 program or what?

If it's a top 5-10, it's unlikely many will reject. People decline offers only if they have a better/higher-ranked alternative.

Also, note that programs know how many people to admit. If, historically, most of the students offered admission take the offer, they do not offer many more than they can actually take in. So if they want a class of 10, they'll admit 12-13. Other schools that have lower rates of admits accepting offers extend admission offers to (for example) 40 for a class of 15. So it really depends on the type of department you're looking at. I wish you the best!

Thanks for your msg.  The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign's  program director told me that 

"You are on our waiting list. Unfortunately, I would have to say your chances of eventual admission are not good. We had a very large number of students apply in IR this year. You have a strong record, but there are seven students ahead of you on the wait list." 

I suppose that there is UIUC is not the top 5, but it is also a  good program. I really hope that those who were admitted to UIUC but had a better choice can reject the offers, otherwise I really don't know where to go 

58 minutes ago, Crowe said:

8, I would say is a long shot but not an impossibility. It just depends on the school and whether or not you have a little or a lot giving up the one spot for a higher position. I would definitely not weigh all of your hope onto that position. But you could get lucky. 

thanks for your msg, although the hope is not very good

If anyone feels like killing time while they wait, I'm in a different discipline but am on this thread because I applied to Hopkins Pol Sci (poi: Jane Bennett) and could use a bit of direction. Are there other US Pol Sci theory programs with a particularly strong new materialist, etc bent? Duke comes to mind but that may be an outdated impression. Others worth looking into?

2 hours ago, scarseed said:

If anyone feels like killing time while they wait, I'm in a different discipline but am on this thread because I applied to Hopkins Pol Sci (poi: Jane Bennett) and could use a bit of direction. Are there other US Pol Sci theory programs with a particularly strong new materialist, etc bent? Duke comes to mind but that may be an outdated impression. Others worth looking into?

Ooh. 

My very limited knowledge of US Political Science programs writ large, and my only slightly less limited knowledge of new materialism, tells me Duke may still be a good bet for you. Depending on how different things play out over the next few years, both within and beyond the university, I can even see Chicago going more in this direction—maybe not department-wide, but you'd see more people specializing in it. Perhaps.

I'm not sure about this final one—and it might be too outside political theory—but what about History of Consciousness at UCSD? Karen Barad might be doing something there. You'd know better than I. 

17 minutes ago, ArcierePrudente said:

Ooh. 

My very limited knowledge of US Political Science programs writ large, and my only slightly less limited knowledge of new materialism, tells me Duke may still be a good bet for you. Depending on how different things play out over the next few years, both within and beyond the university, I can even see Chicago going more in this direction—maybe not department-wide, but you'd see more people specializing in it. Perhaps.

I'm not sure about this final one—and it might be too outside political theory—but what about History of Consciousness at UCSD? Karen Barad might be doing something there. You'd know better than I. 

What exactly is new materialism? Is it part of continental philosophy or analytic philosophy?

Just got my Northwestern decision (a rejection)... on a Sunday, of all days.

Well, there are still a couple of decisions to wait for, but I'm not very optimistic. I think I'll fail again this cycle :( 

What schools do we expect to roll out decisions this week? Still waiting on a few myself. Also wondering if we can expect Monday to be a lost day since the work week for US universities will start on Tuesday due to President's Day.