2017-2018 Application Cycle

IR44

4 hours ago, deutsch1997bw said:

What do you think it means if my admissions portal at Minnesota changed to "Final Review"?

I had the same, now it changed to "decision made". It says:

please allow one business day to view your decision once your status on this page has been updated to Decision Made

On 17.02.2018 at 12:40 AM, katieb93 said:

Apparently acceptance letters for Pitt went out in the mail a few days ago.

Nothing for me.

Back into my depression hole I go. 

it is highly possible that those belong to a particular subfield. no reason to be pessimistic.

8 minutes ago, MrDoe said:

I had the same, now it changed to "decision made". It says:

please allow one business day to view your decision once your status on this page has been updated to Decision Made

I had the same. I assume a rejection is on the way...

1 hour ago, CP_Religion said:

Is there anyone applied for Northeastern? Any news?

They said early this week. The pool is limited mostly to those who were invited to the visit day on the 12-13th but they said they would hold rejections until they fill the cohort ( they wanted to enroll 6)

6 hours ago, Albert01 said:

Got a rejection from Rutgers.

Accepted: Arizona, NYU / Rejected: Wisconsin, Princeton, UCSD, Michigan, Cornell, Wahsu, Northwestern, Duke and Rutgers / Pending: Upenn, Rochetster, Yale, Columbia, Minnesota, Maryland... Wow now I realize that I applied total 17!

Same on the rejection. Surprised because they were my lowest ranked school, but I expected it after the radio silence from them. 

38 minutes ago, tariggs said:

They said early this week. The pool is limited mostly to those who were invited to the visit day on the 12-13th but they said they would hold rejections until they fill the cohort ( they wanted to enroll 6)

Well at least it is news... Not great news... But news.

What's the deal with Columbia? From what it seems like, some of the results aren't trolls, and they've been trickling in for about a week. Yet, no one has claimed here, and it seems like at least one GradCafe commenter would have gotten in. Anyone able to claim? The timing of their admits seems just bizarre to me

1 hour ago, tariggs said:

Does that mean if I haven’t heard from them now I’m most likely out? 

BTW, do you know if they admit students to their master program from the PhD application pool? Thank you.

4 minutes ago, Qw23 said:

Does that mean if I haven’t heard from them now I’m most likely out? 

BTW, do you know if they admit students to their master program from the PhD application pool? Thank you.

I feel like I am in that same sinking ship with you.

I do know that they snag quite a bit of Ph. D. applicants to bolster their MA program. But their scholarship and what not for their MA programs isn't that great compared to the cost.

4 minutes ago, Dreamer109 said:

I feel like I am in that same sinking ship with you.

I do know that they snag quite a bit of Ph. D. applicants to bolster their MA program. But their scholarship and what not for their MA programs isn't that great compared to the cost.

Thank you for the reminder. I’m an international student and all I want is a school to admit me at this point...so at least I have the option to transfer afterwards. Otherwise I will have to go back to my home country and it’s harder to try next year with no contact with US scholars.

31 minutes ago, Qw23 said:

Thank you for the reminder. I’m an international student and all I want is a school to admit me at this point...so at least I have the option to transfer afterwards. Otherwise I will have to go back to my home country and it’s harder to try next year with no contact with US scholars.

FWIW I have heard - and I might be wrong, so I would double-check - that MA programs at top departments -/-> real contact with the (top?) professors associated with the department.  After all, professors will spend most energy on their work, then their PhD students.  So you might have to put in extra work to get your name on profs' radar

I was thinking of possibly transferring to philosophy at one point, and this is why I didn't look at NYU for an MA (despite having a top-notch philosophy program)

Edited by Ayerbender

4 minutes ago, Ayerbender said:

I am hoping that they decide on MAPSS after PhD decisions, and it only makes sense they would do so

Yes I agree. I just assumed they have sent out all the acceptances already?

57 minutes ago, luminalcoin8 said:

What's the deal with Columbia? From what it seems like, some of the results aren't trolls, and they've been trickling in for about a week. Yet, no one has claimed here, and it seems like at least one GradCafe commenter would have gotten in. Anyone able to claim? The timing of their admits seems just bizarre to me

I think it's more likely they're just being slow this year...