2017-2018 Application Cycle

IR44

1 hour ago, Salve said:

Hey! Don't despair! I've also been out of school for some time, and working outside of the US in a not very related industry. I now have two offers from very good schools. You still have two other schools to announce their decisions, and even if they say 'no', it's not your last chance!  You have amazing scores and a great GPA. You can work on polishing other areas of your profile if need be. But then again, you still have other two schools to announce their decisions. Write to me if you need to chat with someone.

Thank you very much. Yes I’ll wait for the final results. And congrats on your offers!

I noticed on the results page that someone was waitlisted yesterday for IR at UNC-Chapel Hill. What does it mean -- if anything -- if someone was waitlisted before someone else by two weeks, for example? 

I'm curious if this says anything about one's position on the waitlist.

Edited by deutsch1997bw

4 hours ago, Kief13muse said:

As for Penn, I just emailed the DGS. He said "the committee is considering applications and you will receive a notification in the system when decisions have been released," which I think means nothing but rejections. 

Personally I've been through a really tough cycle. With a nearly perfect GRE score (V169/Q167) and a 3.8+ GPA from a top IR MA program in the US, clearly I overestimated my competitiveness and applied the top 20 programs mostly. So far I've received rejections from 8 out of 10 schools that I applied for (counting Penn), and the odds are against me for the remaining two Ivy schools. I've been out of school for a while and now work in a completely irrelevant industry in my home country. This might be the last chance that I could get back to the American academia, unless I could find an RA position there to strengthen my profile for next year (difficult due to visa issues however). 

But it's always good to know that so many of you have been doing wonderful research and are able to get into great programs. Wish you all good luck!  

Wow. What was your undergrad GPA and institution rank range?

41 minutes ago, CandyCanes said:

Yeah, it was rude making us wait this long and then the letter itself is rude.

The wait I'm there with you. But was there something in particular about the letter that was rude? Just kind of curious If we got the same letter. Mine was just painfully generic... Which is also pretty rude.

Hi Guys, 

I have been following the group for a while and I felt the responsibility that I should also contribute to the forum. I have been offered admission from Penn State and Binghamton(SUNY) and rejected from countless universities. Feel free to send your questions. 

I came with a couple of questions.

1-Did anyone hear from Georgetown yet?

2-Did anyone waitlisted at Notre Dame? Do you know when is Notre Dame's prospective student event? I have been waitlisted but they didn't tell me anything about the chance of being offered admission.

Edited by The Orient
typo

13 minutes ago, Dreamer109 said:

The wait I'm there with you. But was there something in particular about the letter that was rude? Just kind of curious If we got the same letter. Mine was just painfully generic... Which is also pretty rude.

I was wondering the same thing. I didn't find the letter to be rude, personally. It was a straightforward rejection letter with a wish at the end of good luck in my future academic endeavors.

6 minutes ago, The Orient said:

Hi Guys, 

I have been following the group for a while and I felt the responsibility that I should also contribute to the forum. I have been offered admission from Penn State and Binghamton(SUNY) and rejected from countless universities. Feel free to send your questions. 

I come with a couple of questions.

2-Did anyone waitlisted at Notre Dame? Do you know when is Notre Dame's prospective student event? I have been waitlisted but they didn't tell me anything about the chance of being offered admission.

Hi,

When did you get your offer from Binghamton? Did they interview you? Are you going to visit the school? Did they tell anything regarding application?

I did my interview and am waiting for an answer. Binghamton is a great fit for me and I am hopeful about decision. 

It seems as a friend wrote in this forum, they will continue to send acceptance/rejection after visit day.

Good luck.

3 hours ago, Hamb said:

Still no claims on these Columbia unofficial acceptance posts?

It is truly bizarre. Especially since on the 15th one acceptance claimant claimed that all unofficial acceptances had gone out, only to be contradicted by two subsequent posted acceptances, the second of them claiming the same. 

58 minutes ago, luminalcoin8 said:

It is truly bizarre. Especially since on the 15th one acceptance claimant claimed that all unofficial acceptances had gone out, only to be contradicted by two subsequent posted acceptances, the second of them claiming the same. 

From what I know decisions haven't been sent out yet, but will be very soon. I would not believe the posts on the results page before someone claims an acceptance on this forum.

1 hour ago, deutsch1997bw said:

I was wondering the same thing. I didn't find the letter to be rude, personally. It was a straightforward rejection letter with a wish at the end of good luck in my future academic endeavors.

"After consultation with the program and after a thorough evaluation of your credentials by The Graduate School, I regret to inform you that you have been denied admission for graduate study at Northwestern University."

I think phrasing it as "denied admission" was pretty rude, as opposed to "cannot offer admission". 

12 minutes ago, CandyCanes said:

"After consultation with the program and after a thorough evaluation of your credentials by The Graduate School, I regret to inform you that you have been denied admission for graduate study at Northwestern University."

I think phrasing it as "denied admission" was pretty rude, as opposed to "cannot offer admission". 

But that's not rude.  That language is pretty common in the business world

2 hours ago, The Orient said:

Hi Guys, 

I came with a couple of questions.

ND portal says no decision has been made on my application yet. Great...

1 hour ago, Qw23 said:

Same here. Johns Hopkins as well.

1 hour ago, cpmethods said:

I was wondering the same thing...

I decided to bite the bullet and called Georgetown (I couldn't find a pertinent email address).  They said that decisions usually go out in mid-March, so I guess we won't hear very soon.

21 hours ago, purifieddrinkingwater said:

Waiting on UIUC too. Btw, I carefully wanted to ask people about their thoughts on UIUC, Rochester and Emory... that is, which program do you think is stronger? Per your subfield or polisci in general.

Rochester >>> Emory >UIUC

Emory will say "But we just hired Patty/Penn" but they aren't there yet, they don't have a sequence designed. Rochester's placement speaks for itself.