2017-2018 Application Cycle

IR44

To those who applied to the University of Minnesota (myself included) and have yet to hear anything, I am starting to get concerned. People were both waitlisted and accepted today, which makes me wonder if now rejections just have to be sent.

Hey all, claiming an informal phone admit this morning to Harvard Kennedy Political Economy and Government, applying for the political science track. Don't know if anyone else here applied but feel free to PM me if you did. I applied for both this and the GSAS Gov. program which I haven't heard back from yet. Best of luck to other applicants.

3 hours ago, merhersam said:

I’m curious what people think of poliscirumors.com :ph34r:

This is probably worth another thread rather than going here (one that can then be mocked on poliscirumors) but for my cents it's a great example of the internet's tendency to become a gross, mysoginistic sewer when left unattended...

Political science, like every other academic discipline, should be a welcoming, diverse community of people who love what they do, strive to do interesting, worthwhile things, and treat each other with respect and empathy. It should be a place that everyone on this board, and many more people who are not on this board, should be justifiably enthusiastic about committing a big part of their lives to for the best reasons... The opposite of that, that's PSR. 

Edited by Sartori

35 minutes ago, Sartori said:

This is probably worth another thread rather than going here (one that can then be mocked on poliscirumors) but for my cents it's a great example of the internet's tendency to become a gross, mysoginistic sewer when left unattended...

I'm not even religious and I am asking for an amen on this one.

3 hours ago, merhersam said:

I’m curious what people think of poliscirumors.com :ph34r:

It's like a Russian troll farm, only with advanced knowledge in formal theory and in how to structure a grammatically correct insult. In the past few weeks I became convinced it's a rather awful representation of Political Scientists, because it gives you the suspicion that in your own cohort you might be surrounded by people with huge fragile egos, who have zero respect for other people, especially if they don't go to CHYMPS and are women, who are so atomized, they think that spousal hires are fundamentally wrong (I'm not saying that this is indeed the case, just that that particular website gives you such a toxic aftertaste). One can go on, but you get the idea. I hope that you open another thread for this one, because I don't want to contaminate this thread, which was a great support to other people, and to me personally, because of the sense of respect and camaraderie that it afforded. In other words, a total opposite of poliscirumors.

Edited by Salve

3 hours ago, Throwaway_polisci said:

Hey all, claiming an informal phone admit this morning to Harvard Kennedy Political Economy and Government, applying for the political science track. Don't know if anyone else here applied but feel free to PM me if you did. I applied for both this and the GSAS Gov. program which I haven't heard back from yet. Best of luck to other applicants.

Does that require work experience? What's the difference between that and the regular political science PhD at Harvard? From the website, it looks like the PEG one only takes a minimum of three years.

Got a rejection from Rutgers.

Accepted: Arizona, NYU / Rejected: Wisconsin, Princeton, UCSD, Michigan, Cornell, WashU, Northwestern, Duke and Rutgers / Pending: Upenn, Rochetster, Yale, Columbia, Minnesota, Maryland... Wow now I realize that I applied total 17!

On 2/20/2018 at 8:35 AM, Albert01 said:

Got a rejection from Rutgers.

Accepted: Arizona, NYU / Rejected: Wisconsin, Princeton, UCSD, Michigan, Cornell, WashU, Northwestern, Duke and Rutgers / Pending: Upenn, Rochetster, Yale, Columbia, Minnesota, Maryland... Wow now I realize that I applied total 17!

Congrats on your acceptances!

I feel you. I applied to 13. Still waiting to hear from UPenn, Notre Dame, Georgetown, Northwestern, and Chicago. A few of those I assume are rejections at this point (NW and UC). I, like you, have received a lot of rejections. I am thankful I listened to the advice of a prof that recommended I apply to 10-20 programs. So glad I did.

For those who like different rankings than US News, Foreign Policy along with TRIP released their 2018 Inside the Ivory Tower rankings for those of us interested in IR. Variance between this and US News is actually pretty high, specifically outside the usual suspects.

http://foreignpolicy.com/2018/02/20/top-fifty-schools-international-relations-foreign-policy/

Edited by Hamb

1 hour ago, dr.strange said:

Is NYU done sending out admits? Still no word and confirmed that I'm not on a waitlist. So assumed rejection at this point?

When this happened to me last cycle, when my decision came, it was an acceptance to their MA program.