2017-2018 Application Cycle

IR44

4 hours ago, ArcierePrudente said:

I just snorted. Audibly. At work. Everyone is looking at me. 

I did submit a 25 page theoretical physics paper for mine.  It appears to have received...  mixed reactions.

(for context: field-switching physicist; this was encouraged by several professors, because it's my best original research.  I also submitted a supplemental political science essay.)

18 minutes ago, artibasos said:

I did submit a 25 page theoretical physics paper for mine.  It appears to have received...  mixed reactions.

(for context: field-switching physicist; this was encouraged by several professors, because it's my best original research.  I also submitted a supplemental political science essay.)

You should have started your writing sample by quoting Sokal's "Transgressing the Boundaries" ;) haha

Are you applying for a quant/science heavy subfield?  Is there a connection between your physics work and your political science research interests (e.g. nuclear physics and IR)?

15 minutes ago, BobBobBob said:

I'm not doubting it's a real thing.  I was curious if there was a relation between his physics work and his political science research interests...

Edited by Ayerbender

On 15/02/2018 at 7:49 PM, megabee said:

Congratulations! Throw yourself a celebration for sure. Which subfield, if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks guys! I'm in Comparative & methods.

Also just got my official rejection letter from Berkeley - the process is unpredictable, so don't let any other decisions you may have received depress your hopes for your dream school. While I'm still waiting to hear back from Michigan (seemingly alone?) and Harvard, the biggest lesson from this cycle for me was that even the seemingly most adverse situations can be overcome: Last year, I returned almost empty-handed. I've worked hard on my own research and the applications, and it looks like it's paid off. I know the feeling of not receiving any offers in a cycle from personal experience, but I can now offer the consoling prospect that anyone can always (successfully) try again next year!

25 minutes ago, Ayerbender said:

I'm not doubting it's a real thing.  I was curious if there was a relation between his physics work and his political science research interests...

Her.

There is not particularly, though I am clearly interested in quant-heavy subjects & methods.

Accepted at George Mason. It is my safety school, but having one fully funded acceptance in the bag makes waiting out the next seven decisions much less stressful!

For what I'd like to study and pursue career wise, GMU is actually a great option for me. So I'm choosing to see the bright side in all of this moving forward

1a/1w/1r/7p

Rejection from Cornell. It seems to me that this cycle is over for me. I've learned my lesson.While this experience is useful, it nonetheless has a bitter aftertaste. 
It is time to start preparing for the second attempt in upcoming autumn.
Congrats to those of you who did it! I wish you success in your future endeavors!
And yes, please, do not forget to share your experience at the very end of the cycle! :)

8 minutes ago, arctic_ice said:

Rejection from Cornell. It seems to me that this cycle is over for me. I've learned my lesson.While this experience is useful, it nonetheless has a bitter aftertaste. 
Congrats to those of you who did it! I wish you success in your future endeavors!
And yes, please, do not forget to share your experience at the very end of the cycle! :)

Sorry to hear, that :(. Best of luck to you next cycle!

Does anyone know if Indiana finished sending out acceptances or if I'm still in the game with them?

10 minutes ago, arctic_ice said:

Really sorry to hear that! If it makes you feel better, I took last year and didn't get into where I wanted (albeit this was for law school), and I think that year made me a better person in the long run. Bet of luck to the future!

1 hour ago, Sartori said:

I always think of what the Duke says in Measure for Measure..."Be absolute for death; either death or life / Shall thereby be the sweeter. 

haha true we'll see then. I just wanted to know whether it happens sometimes or not. I'll have to wait for March I guess

23 minutes ago, katieb93 said:

Apparently acceptance letters for Pitt went out in the mail a few days ago.

Nothing for me.

Back into my depression hole I go. 

Ah yes, the depression hole. It is absolutely great down here. 

I got yeses from my two safety schools... But they don't handle funding until March. So I'm still sitting here hoping that one of my six remaining schools accepts me and gives me something that says funding.

Has anyone heard from Brandeis? I saw some people got waitlisted and accepted. I haven't seen a single email from them.

2a/0w/2r/6p