2017-2018 Application Cycle

IR44

I'm not sure if anyone else applied, but I received an acceptance from American (SPA) yesterday. NIce funding package plus summer funding and a conference travel grant. Email was  just to check the portal for a decision.

Also received my Austin rejection. frustrating because this was the one university where I actually knew my POI in person, but perhaps the rest of the department wasn't the best fit.

3 hours ago, komina12345 said:

I can officially say I received a UT-Austin rejection. Strange seeing as my thesis was literally based around research done by my POI, but whatever.

Actually this happened to me with WashU. I mentioned that my interest in the topic is generated from the works of my POI there; and my writing sample and SOP were somewhat personalized tributes to his work. And they rejected me outrightly. Too strong alignment (if not obsession) with the POI may have hurt my application.

Edited by Albert01

1 hour ago, RodneyTrotter said:

I'm not sure if anyone else applied, but I received an acceptance from American (SPA) yesterday. NIce funding package plus summer funding and a conference travel grant. Email was  just to check the portal for a decision.

Also received my Austin rejection. frustrating because this was the one university where I actually knew my POI in person, but perhaps the rest of the department wasn't the best fit.

Congrats! I applied as well. Do you know if they have sent out all the decisions?

Congrats! those who accepted by his or her dream school. In such a case, do you reject other offers immediately?

Which schools' offer probably will you decline?

When is it appropriate to reject offer?

2a, 6r, 0w, 3p now. Seems that it would be my final day for application. Just waiting for rejections from U Chicago, MIT and Cornell. UT-Austin, if the funding is okay, would be a great choice for me. If anyone is interested in China or Chinese politics, please feel free to contact me via PM here. Fingers crossed for myself and everyone still waiting. 

Edited by Alex@Beijing

I doubt that all the acceptances for Cornell have been sent out... there are only 3 acceptances listed on the survey and of course not everyone who gets in is on TGC or posts their results, but it seems unlikely that there would be only 3 responses if they had all been sent out. In any case, for my own sanity trying not to speculate on whether silence = rejection as I doubt we can fully know what goes on for every admissions committee every year. No wild hopes but trying to just operate under the idea that only a rejection letter really means a rejection

21 minutes ago, Clytemnahstra said:

How do you know that all acceptances have been sent out?

14 minutes ago, cedfik said:

I doubt that all the acceptances for Cornell have been sent out... there are only 3 acceptances listed on the survey and of course not everyone who gets in is on TGC or posts their results, but it seems unlikely that there would be only 3 responses if they had all been sent out. In any case, for my own sanity trying not to speculate on whether silence = rejection as I doubt we can fully know what goes on for every admissions committee every year. No wild hopes but trying to just operate under the idea that only a rejection letter really means a rejection

The acceptance list is already finalized. They sent out acceptances to the people on the list yesterday. Ergo, I would suspect they have all been sent out.