2017-2018 Application Cycle

IR44

16 hours ago, cedfik said:

On a related note: This sounds like it should be basic but I’m not sure how to determine the subfield rankings of schools below #10? I saw a thread saying that until #15 or 20 should be “if you have to ask if they are, they aren’t” but I’m not sure if this is great advice to someone like me who tends to second guess everything. 

anyone?

200.gif

4 minutes ago, Throwaway_polisci said:

Someone posted a comparative subfield admit on the survey page as well so it looks like it's not subfield specific :/

Yeah, but I'm also theory, so subfield specific don't matter :P

I was more wondering because Chicago's website says decisions are 1st 2 weeks of March with some in Feb., but if they're trickling I'm now gonna ctrl+r m email so much...

Any news re Berkeley or Notre Dame?

1 hour ago, Throwaway_polisci said:

Just want to be honest that Berkeley seems fairly far along in the visits process, e.g. they've been communicating with admits about dates and flight reimbursements and whatnot. However I still haven't received any funding info from them, which might imply that there are some kinks they're working out e.g. their waitlist.

I am also waiting on funding from Berkeley...This is what my original email said back on Jan 31: "Formal details about the Department’s fellowship offer will be sent in a separate letter in the following weeks. You can anticipate receiving a competitive five-year funding package, including stipend/salary, tuition, and student health insurance." Did you get the same message? 

16 minutes ago, cedfik said:

Why is it so late this year...?

No idea?  I'm just going by the what the website says.  But if Berkeley decisions from depts. started trickling...

Edit: I could be wrong, though.  Some users seem to have already gotten admits.  So eh

Edited by Ayerbender

9 minutes ago, komina12345 said:

I got into Maryland

Holy shit I thought I was going to strike out. I'm so freaking happy right now. I actually don't have to go back to Japan now to do PhD work.

Congrats! Guess your camping trip paid dividends. ;)

11 minutes ago, komina12345 said:

I got into Maryland

Holy shit I thought I was going to strike out. I'm so freaking happy right now. I actually don't have to go back to Japan now to do PhD work.

There is no better feeling than knowing your next five years is secured. Congrats!

22 minutes ago, komina12345 said:

I got into Maryland

although i have not gotten any notification from maryland myself, your post made my day.  i know what kind of mental space the rejections with no acceptances can get you in and to notch one in the win column takes away all the pressure and doubt that creeps in.  i'm very happy it worked out for you.

31 minutes ago, Ayerbender said:

Are Chicago decisions trickling?  I've heard nothing yet

They don't usually stagger from what I've seen/heard. You never know, of course.

(I'd like to be more helpful, but I haven't checked my account since before admits started posting, because I'm a coward and would like to know the Poli Sci and Social Thought results at the same time.) 

They've also had waitlists in prior years, but that was a while ago -- it may be worthwhile to check! 

30 minutes ago, Ayerbender said:

Yeah, but I'm also theory, so subfield specific don't matter :P

I was more wondering because Chicago's website says decisions are 1st 2 weeks of March with some in Feb., but if they're trickling I'm now gonna ctrl+r m email so much...

Any news re Berkeley or Notre Dame?

"First two weeks of March" applies to official decisions/rejections. Most departments notify admits prior to that. 

4 minutes ago, ArcierePrudente said:

They don't usually stagger from what I've seen/heard. You never know, of course.

(I'd like to be more helpful, but I haven't checked my account since before admits started posting, because I'm a coward and would like to know the Poli Sci and Social Thought results at the same time.) 

They've also had waitlists in prior years, but that was a while ago -- it may be worthwhile to check! 

Wait!  you can apply to social thought?  Damn,  I'm dumb...  I thought it was a sub-program of the PhD programs...

5 minutes ago, ArcierePrudente said:

How do you bear with the thought that the decision letter could just be in your inbox and not check your email? Much respek