2017-2018 Application Cycle

IR44

3 hours ago, MrDoe said:

Are you a domestic applicant? I am also admitted but did not receive any info regarding the prospective student event. It might have something to do with me being an international applicant. Maybe they do not have the budget to reimburse overseas tickets. Is your expenses covered by the university?

Well, I am originally an international student but I am in an MA program in the U.S. So, that might be the reason they invited me to the event. Yes, they help me with the expenses.

1 hour ago, CPRel said:

My friend also told me about the new policy in the department about early acceptances. Well, I hope you, early accepted, have much better offers. If so, please help us to get in. Thank you :)

Definitely, I will reject the offers from other schools as soon as possible once I decided. I am on a waitlist in other schools so I know how it feels :) If we all act as responsible human beings no one will be stressed out :)

5 minutes ago, CKr said:

Another Columbia applicant here with no chance on my status page. American subfield. I just want to stop refreshing this tab compulsively...

I'm also American, so it's possible Columbia has come down with a case of...the staggers

4 hours ago, PSapplicant said:

Also claiming a Columbia admission, comparative subfield. It is my second cycle and before this offer, I received 12 rejections in a row. So from someone who came back from the dead: never lose hope! 

Much kudos to you. Another legend on this forum, second only to @CambridgeHeismanLord

Claiming an additional Columbia rejection. I can't say I'm not a bit bummed, but at least they did not delay rejections. I can also claim acceptances at the University of Tennessee and the University of Alabama, both of which are funded offers. I'm still holding out for UIUC, Maryland, and JHU as well as a few master's programs I applied to for the sake of opportunity diversity. 

Congratulations to everyone who has received good news this week! For those of you that struck out, I'm certain you will find success; don't give up.

Edited by DKG18
Typo correction

9 hours ago, purifieddrinkingwater said:

Are there any more people who have applied to Rochester but not heard back from them yet? Could i ask what your subfield is? I see a plenty of rejection/acceptance/and even waitlist postings on the result page but havent had any notice from them.

I applied to Rochester (comparative). However, I have not heard from them. I have no idea how they make the decisions.
Have you any updates regarding Rochester?

Joining Columbia and Upenn reject club. It seems I don't have any chance in Rochester, and Yale is the only school whose result I am waiting for now; their result will finalize my cycle. I hope they announce this week or at least in Feb.

Edited by Albert01

Also claim an acceptance from Columbia. IR/IPE. 

So far, accepted by Berkeley, Michigan, Columbia, UCSD, and Duke, rejected by Princeton and Stanford (I thought I had a shot), and pending from Harvard and Yale. Finally, everything will be ended soon. Good luck to everyone hopeful!

Hey guy! Since most Columbia acceptances/rejections have come out, I was wondering if decisions for the M.A. program will also come out soon? At this point, I've given up on all my Ph.D. applications and just hope to get into a decent M.A. program :((

I'd also appreciate any suggestions on which M.A. programs are still accepting applications. I'm doing theory subfield

Edited by angela969

16 minutes ago, angela969 said:

Hey guy! Since most Columbia acceptances/rejections have come out, I was wondering if decisions for the M.A. program will also come out soon? At this point, I've given up on all my Ph.D. applications and just hope to get into a decent M.A. program :((

I'd also appreciate any suggestions on which M.A. programs are still accepting applications. I'm doing theory subfield

Some MA programs have been coming out. However, I think most of them are still coming later in the season.

Hello guys, hope you have received admissions from ideal schools. I am writing to ask about deferment. I just received admission from WUSTL but wish to defer for a year. I had an initial contact with the administrative assistant and was told that they are unable to defer and encourage re-application....I know it varies from school to school, but am seeking your insights on 

1. Shall I continue to negotiate with DGS or seeking help with other professors (one wrote me a welcome email), and if yes, what is the best approach to do so?

2. If I failed to get a deferment and decides to re-apply, what is the chance of getting admitted again in the next application cycle? Can I assume that selection standards do not vary much within two years?

3. What preparation should I do for re-application to strengthen my profile in re-application?

8 hours ago, arctic_ice said:

I applied to Rochester (comparative). However, I have not heard from them. I have no idea how they make the decisions.
Have you any updates regarding Rochester?

FYI, I didn't apply to Rochester but I have a friend who received admission from there.

3 hours ago, Dreamer109 said:

Some MA programs have been coming out. However, I think most of them are still coming later in the season.

Thanks for the info! I'm also confused about the difference between the priority deadline and final deadline for M.A. Programs. Like, how big of a difference does it make in terms of my chance of getting in? Does anyone know??