Fall 2018 Applicants

glycoprotein1

2 hours ago, andnothing said:

Do history applicants typically have interviews before they are admitted or is that dependent on the university? It seems most people that are interviewed are applying for a PhD program. If so, is there anything one should know beforehand? 

Most programs don't interview.

2 hours ago, khigh said:

Thank you. It was just the first moment of maybe I really won’t ever go to grad school. 

I mean, it's a whole other question as to whether it's worth it to attend [program] on departmental rather than university funding. For me, it was the difference of $10k/yr, 1 year of support, and 2 years of fellowship over TA-ship. That's huge, and completely changes the equation.

20 hours ago, SFischer said:

I've noticed that too. I'm pretty confident in my writing sample and my GPA as its around 3.7 (science and math classes got me too). The fit is also a concern for me as I'm very interested in medical history and I realized too late about their medicine and technology history program to apply.

Minnesota's HoS, while one of the better programs, is not a great place to do medieval (Wisconsin and probably Harvard are the best). You're probably going to be way better off in the history department proper.

Also, I don't know how much longer Jole Shackelford is going to teach. He's in his mid-60s and hasn't published significantly in over a decade.

Feel free to PM me if you're interested in talking about history of science/medicine/tech programs. I'm in the newly merged HoS at Wisconsin.

2 minutes ago, telkanuru said:

I mean, it's a whole other question as to whether it's worth it to attend [program] on departmental rather than university funding. For me, it was the difference of $10k/yr, 1 year of support, and 2 years of fellowship over TA-ship. That's huge, and completely changes the equation.

We will be a two income family and I’m already planning out loans to keep the house running. It’s not going to be what I make now, I know, but adding the second income will make it easier. I’d also prefer to TA. I want teaching experience. I guess what I’m saying in a roundabout way is that the money doesn’t matter, it’s the getting in that does. 

4 minutes ago, telkanuru said:

The only programs I know of who do interview are Penn HSS and Hopkins HoS, both of which are tiny departments.

As for funding, Minnesota's HoS and Indiana's HPS seem to have problems with departmental funding, but I have no idea if that extends to Minnesota/Indiana more generally.

7 minutes ago, psstein said:

The only programs I know of who do interview are Penn HSS and Hopkins HoS, both of which are tiny departments.

As for funding, Minnesota's HoS and Indiana's HPS seem to have problems with departmental funding, but I have no idea if that extends to Minnesota/Indiana more generally.

You’re guaranteed $18k a year for 5 years at Minnesota plus tuition and health insurance and research/conference stipend. It’s not enough to live off of comfortably on your own if you want to be in Minneapolis proper. 

Just wanted to add that I’ve also been saving. I have luckily had a really good job since I got up here and make really good money, but it’s not something I want to do forever. I’m in luxury car sales. 

Edited by khigh

16 minutes ago, telkanuru said:

ls one locked out of fellowships if you are not among the first admitted? 

Just wanted to say good luck to everyone! Also, if anyone has any questions about NC State, Duke, or UNC (especially the first two), let me know. I have no insider's knowledge on this year's application process, but I've lived in the Triangle for over 10 years and have attended grad classes at all three institutions. I know the faculty well at NC State and Duke and have had many wonderful encounters with UNC. 

2 hours ago, khigh said:

We will be a two income family and I’m already planning out loans to keep the house running. It’s not going to be what I make now, I know, but adding the second income will make it easier. I’d also prefer to TA. I want teaching experience. I guess what I’m saying in a roundabout way is that the money doesn’t matter, it’s the getting in that does. 

Everyone gets teaching experience. What changes is if they also get time off of teaching to write their dissertation, just like TT professors get a sabbatical year to push that book out. I guarantee that those with time off teaching will generate a better final project faster than those without.

And no, that's a false dichotomy: money and getting in both matter, particularly if you have to take out loans. I don't really like making absolute statements, but this is an exception. NEVER EVER attend a doctoral program, particularly in the humanities, that will require you to take out loans to complete it.

17 hours ago, khigh said:

Thank you for keeping me from opening the bottle of Drake's Organic Vodka tonight! It's a program I have been dreaming of going to for years now. Can you say who you put as your POI?

First off, can totally relate. I've been checking the results page 5+ times a day and following the advice I saw somewhere on the "Waiting it Out" forums that the best way to pass the time is with frequent glasses of wine. I put Tracey Deutsch as my POI, although I was initially drawn to the school because of Elaine Tyler May. (Her Homeward Bound is what first made me fall in love with history.)

Minnesota Nice is passive aggressiveness to the core and it will take you an hour to leave someone's house after you say goodbye.  It is HARD to make friends with Minnesotans.  They don't care for outsiders, but as long as you don't get in their way and say "ope" if you run into them, you will be okay.

As a native Midwesterner, this resonates with me.

Sorry that was so long.  I am passionate about the school and even more passionate about the city. It's one of the most beautiful places in the world and I've seen a lot of the world

Don't apologize for being passionate about the school/city! UMN was already one of my top picks, but your enthusiasm (and the discovery that there's a real place called Dinkytown) made me even more excited about the possibility of attending. Now to figure out how to make living in the area affordable...

2 minutes ago, telkanuru said:

Everyone gets teaching experience. What changes is if they also get time off of teaching to write their dissertation, just like TT professors get a sabbatical year to push that book out. I guarantee that those with time off teaching will generate a better final project faster than those without.

And no, that's a false dichotomy: money and getting in both matter, particularly if you have to take out loans. I don't really like making absolute statements, but this is an exception. NEVER EVER attend a doctoral program, particularly in the humanities, that will require you to take out loans to complete it.

Loans wouldn’t be a requirement except to maintain the same living situation (trips, concerts, sporting events, new cars, buying a large house, maintaining horses, saving for private boarding school, etc). Boyfriend finally found a job here that starts in August, so that helps tremendously. The U also only requires teaching 3 years and you have two years of additional funding, so it’s not like you have to teach for all 5 years. What I’m trying to say, without saying how much we have saved and will make, is that if I don’t get an additional fellowship, we won’t be poor. 

5 minutes ago, Dobby'sSocks said:

First off, can totally relate. I've been checking the results page 5+ times a day and following the advice I saw somewhere on the "Waiting it Out" forums that the best way to pass the time is with frequent glasses of wine. I put Tracey Deutsch as my POI, although I was initially drawn to the school because of Elaine Tyler May. (Her Homeward Bound is what first made me fall in love with history.)

As a native Midwesterner, this resonates with me.

Don't apologize for being passionate about the school/city! UMN was already one of my top picks, but your enthusiasm (and the discovery that there's a real place called Dinkytown) made me even more excited about the possibility of attending. Now to figure out how to make living in the area affordable...

If you break it down, Minneapolis isn’t really expensive. Rent is on par with major cities. I pay $900 a month for a one bedroom in uptown, utilities included. Sure, it’s a basement apartment with street parking, but I’m blocks away from anything I need. There is no tax on clothes or groceries. It is the most bikeable city in the USA, even beating out Seattle, so you don’t need a car. Light rail and buses are on time. Ice skating on the lakes is free. There are tons of festivals in the summer, so always something to do. And then there is the Great Minnesota Get Together (state fair). It’s the largest by attendance in the US. 

5 minutes ago, Qtf311 said:

$900/ month is not on par with major cities unless you are talking small town major city.  NY, LA, Boston...you’d be lucky to find a studio for twice that amount.  MN sounds like a great place to live and go to school.

You’re right. The only other city I have lived in is Austin. Was paying about $700 a month down there, but traffic was a killer. 

Minneapolis is a wonderful city. The cold isn’t as bad as people make it out to be and the snow is great. Summer really makes this the city to be, though. 

I have UT Arlington on my list fornthat exact reason, cost of living.  Big cities are expensive and unfortunately not as welcoming as they used to be.  I grew up in NYC and I worry about moving back to finish school, especially with a family.

18 minutes ago, Qtf311 said:

I have UT Arlington on my list fornthat exact reason, cost of living.  Big cities are expensive and unfortunately not as welcoming as they used to be.  I grew up in NYC and I worry about moving back to finish school, especially with a family.

Unless you live near campus, Arlington traffic is miserable. They were insane and put all of the sports complexes in the same area, so game days are horrendous. Dallas itself is miserable. I grew up in southern Oklahoma, so I spent a lot of time in the Dallas area. 

3 hours ago, khigh said:

Loans wouldn’t be a requirement except to maintain the same living situation (trips, concerts, sporting events, new cars, buying a large house, maintaining horses, saving for private boarding school, etc). Boyfriend finally found a job here that starts in August, so that helps tremendously. The U also only requires teaching 3 years and you have two years of additional funding, so it’s not like you have to teach for all 5 years. What I’m trying to say, without saying how much we have saved and will make, is that if I don’t get an additional fellowship, we won’t be poor. 

Right, I don't have a comprehensive knowledge of universities' funding packages, but was relating the structure of the ones I received. We're talking about state school packages generally here.

With respect to financials, remember that you need more that to just live, particularly if you're not an American historian. For example, will your stipend allow you to live near your archive for six months or a year while your partner stays at home, keeping in mind that most universities will reduce your stipend in proportion to any major external grant you receive? Does your university require you to pay your costs upfront and get reimbursed (most do), requiring a fairly decent cash reserve? Does your university deduct taxes from fellowship stipends? Mine doesn't, which left several people with surprisingly large tax bills come April. Do you receive stipend disbursals over the summer? Are they the same size? How does this affect your budget? 

In short, base cost of living is simply one factor to consider.

Edited by telkanuru

4 minutes ago, telkanuru said:

Right, I don't have a comprehensive knowledge of universities' funding packages, but was relating the structure of the ones I received. We're talking about state school packages generally here.

With respect to financials, remember that you need more that to just live, particularly if you're not an American historian. For example, will your stipend allow you to live near your archive for six months or a year while your partner stays at home, keeping in mind that most universities will reduce your stipend in proportion to any major external grant you receive? Does your university require you to pay your costs upfront and get reimbursed (most do), requiring a fairly decent cash reserve? Does your university deduct taxes from fellowship stipends? Mine doesn't, which left several people with surprisingly large tax bills come April. Do you receive stipend disbursals over the summer? Are they the same size? How does this affect your budget? 

In short, base cost of living is simply one factor to consider.

I had a long response typed out, but didn’t want to put all my financials out there. Let’s just say my cash reserve will cover any expense that comes up. We just aren’t going to be able to put $60k down on a house and do grad school and live the same lifestyle. We can do two out of the three in any combination, but not all three. 

2 hours ago, khigh said:

I had a long response typed out, but didn’t want to put all my financials out there. Let’s just say my cash reserve will cover any expense that comes up. We just aren’t going to be able to put $60k down on a house and do grad school and live the same lifestyle. We can do two out of the three in any combination, but not all three. 

No matter how one looks at it, "full-funding" is truly never "full-funding".  There were a lot of small hidden costs that somehow grad students seem to forget such as memberships to learned societies, pay for items not mentioned on your funding proposal budget (Stuff from places like CVS doesn't belong there), stipends running only for 9 months  not 12, the fact that departmental/university contribution to healthcare isn't always 100%, etc.  I agree with @telkanuru about reimbursement.  I've been out nearly $4,000 for the last 6 months because I've had to pay airfares and lodgings so far in advance for my two trips on opposite ends of the world and now just submitted everything for reimbursement! I was extremely lucky to have that much in reserve... which reminds me, most grad students don't realize that they need to get their reserves in place as early as possible.  instead, they've splurged on nice apartments for themselves (meanwhile, I had a roommate with me in a decent apartment for 4 years).  @khigh,  you are definitely in a fortunate place to be, especially having a very supportive spouse with a good job to help with the costs. 

2 hours ago, khigh said:

An important ability for academics giving conference talks is to take specific comments from the audience and generalize them out to observations that are useful beyond the particular constraints of the question. And an important skill in asking conference questions is to realize when that's happening. In other words, it's not always about you, unless you're the only person applying to a state school here.

Edited by telkanuru

11 minutes ago, telkanuru said:

An important ability for academics giving conference talks is to take specific comments from the audience and generalize them out to observations that are useful beyond the particular constraints of the question. And an important skill in asking conference questions is to realize when that's happening. In other words, it's not always about you, unless you're the only person applying to a state school here.

I might have thought you were responding directly to me because you quoted me. I guess I took that wrong. 

20 minutes ago, TMP said:

No matter how one looks at it, "full-funding" is truly never "full-funding".  There were a lot of small hidden costs that somehow grad students seem to forget such as memberships to learned societies, pay for items not mentioned on your funding proposal budget (Stuff from places like CVS doesn't belong there), stipends running only for 9 months  not 12, the fact that departmental/university contribution to healthcare isn't always 100%, etc.  I agree with @telkanuru about reimbursement.  I've been out nearly $4,000 for the last 6 months because I've had to pay airfares and lodgings so far in advance for my two trips on opposite ends of the world and now just submitted everything for reimbursement! I was extremely lucky to have that much in reserve... which reminds me, most grad students don't realize that they need to get their reserves in place as early as possible.  instead, they've splurged on nice apartments for themselves (meanwhile, I had a roommate with me in a decent apartment for 4 years).  @khigh,  you are definitely in a fortunate place to be, especially having a very supportive spouse with a good job to help with the costs. 

Gap year was done in part to save money for grad school as well as the 10 years between high school and undergrad. Can cash in part of my IRA and my parents started buying baby bonds 31 years ago that have now matured. And, I do feel very lucky to have a supportive significant other. He knows what it’s like since he has his PhD. Health insurance will be a big one. As long as you teach a 50% load, they pay 100% of insurance. You just have to use University sponsored health care facilities if you don’t want a copay. For everything else, I have tricare. Money is something more grad students should think of. 

My family is also supportive. We have quite a few PhDs in the family and my father’s aunt and uncle will put in a few grand for books and supplies if I get in. 

Has anyone else been having some problems with the application websites? 4/7 of the applications I have submitted have used the Apply Web software and those ones don't completely load on my computer. They say that I've submitted all of my materials and my LoRs have been received but the websites just freeze if I try to click any other buttons. I have a mac and use Chrome but I've gotten the same sputtering/freezing thing from those websites on other browsers and on PCs. I've contacted the admissions departments for those 4 schools and they all said all of my materials have been received.

The point is, I'm anxious about admissions and this is just one more thing that adds to the anxiety. I've noticed in the past that a handful of people will just check their apps (without first hearing from the dept,) and then find out they've gotten in, but I have no way of even checking the status of my application because of how bad Apply Web is. 

TL;DR: Apply Web, why don't you like me?

Wow early acceptances are in already! How exciting! Wishing you all the best of luck. Save your acceptance letters--I still look at mine when I'm feeling beaten down and need a boost in confidence. Now's a good time to think of any questions you want to ask the DGS and/or your POIs and/or grad students in the program, and to mull over funding/cost of living issues if you haven't yet. I was lucky to have MA advisers who guided me on how to negotiate for more funding, and my most important piece of advice is to prepare for that.

If anyone has questions about MSU, Binghamton, Minnesota, Santa Barbara or Davis, feel free to message me. Those were the main "contenders" among my acceptances so I know quite a bit about them (Davis is where I ended up).