Fall 2018 Applicants

glycoprotein1

Hi everyone. Is anybody going to decline an offer to Emory? It's my top choice, but I'm currently waitlisted there. Really hoping for some movement in the coming week and a half.

19 hours ago, WhaleshipEssex said:

@TheHessianHistorian Any word yet from Brandeis?

Just got a rejection from Brandeis's Master's program on Monday. Prof. Sreenivasan said he was disappointed with the decision, but it just came down to the fact that their MA program is only 1 year long and he is going to be on sabbatical for half of that year. He said if I'd applied in any other year, I wouldn't have had a problem getting in.

On another note, I just got an acceptance to WUSTL's PhD program today with a $23,360/year x 6 years funding offering. Between that and my acceptances to the Binghamton, Alabama, Northern Illinois, and Texas Tech Master's programs, I have a tough decision to make...

Edited by TheHessianHistorian

26 minutes ago, TheHessianHistorian said:

Just got a rejection from Brandeis's Master's program on Monday. Prof. Sreenivasan said he was disappointed with the decision, but it just came down to the fact that their MA program is only 1 year long and he is going to be on sabbatical for half of that year. He said if I'd applied in any other year, I wouldn't have had a problem getting in.

On another note, I just got an acceptance to WUSTL's PhD program today with a $23,360/year x 6 years funding offering. Between that and my acceptances to the Binghamton, Alabama, Northern Illinois, and Texas Tech Master's programs, I have a tough decision to make...

Sorry to hear that about Brandeis, that's a damn shame.:( Congratulations on getting in off the waitlist however! You're right, you've got a lot of great options in front of you!

On 4/4/2018 at 3:30 PM, TheHessianHistorian said:

Congrats!  Maybe I'm not seeing something since I'm looking from the outside, but a funded PhD offer from WashU seems more attractive than any of the MA offers.

On 2/12/2018 at 2:37 PM, nerdbird said:

Hi all! F18 applicant here, 3a, 3r, 8tbd. Interested in South Asian/Indian history. Anyone else here applying for the same? Thoughts on top programs for modern/post-colonial SA history this cycle (taking into account tenure, new hires, etc)? Want to start making decisions soon.

Yes!  I just got into the Columbia M.A. program in South Asian Studies.  It's one of the top programs.  

22 hours ago, TheHessianHistorian said:

Good luck making your decision! A 6-year funding offer is rare, so I wouldn't hesitate to jump on that tbh. 

19 hours ago, ashiepoo72 said:

Good luck making your decision! A 6-year funding offer is rare, so I wouldn't hesitate to jump on that tbh. 

I had some lengthy conversations with faculty and current grad students at WUSTL and left with a great impression. After consulting my mother and grandfather, both professors, they recommended WUSTL hands-down as the best choice. I have officially submitted my decision. I will be in St. Louis this fall!

25 minutes ago, TheHessianHistorian said:

I had some lengthy conversations with faculty and current grad students at WUSTL and left with a great impression. After consulting my mother and grandfather, both professors, they recommended WUSTL hands-down as the best choice. I have officially submitted my decision. I will be in St. Louis this fall!

Congratulations! Well done. :)

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, astroid88 said:

What's the average course load  in the first semester of a history PhD? 

That's the kind of stuff you should be reading up on in the department graduate student handbook, which should be posted online on the department website (or contact the graduate coordinator for a copy).  Really, really start familiarizing yourself with it because most of the time your adviser (and other professors) won't know/remember what's the standard protocol (blame on a very, very busy life of being a professor!).

• 9 months later...
On 3/21/2018 at 9:32 PM, NoirFemme said:

Please don't overdress. It actually makes us current students discomfited...as though you dressed up to impress professors and not like you're also visiting to see if we're good people too.

Almost a year later, I'm still not sure why @NoirFemme got dinged for this comment.

Something to consider. An academic department is a work environment. Some professors talk to some graduate students when making decisions about bringing new people into the environment. IME, the opinions of graduate students do not make or break someone's chances, they can help a professor clarify her (or his) thinking on how well someone will fit in. 

Some programs will bring in rock stars because they're rock stars. Others will pass because even rock stars can break Rule #3.

Edited by Sigaba