Fall 2018 Applicants

glycoprotein1

16 hours ago, OHSP said:

It does depend a little though, like if you suddenly get into a much better school because you were on a secret waiting list... people understand. That’s why it’s a good reason to hold off on committing until you’ve heard back from all schools.

Is this secret waiting list real?  I still have not heard from a number of schools and I have assumed that I was not accepted and they just havent sent out my rejection.

21 minutes ago, Qtf311 said:

Is this secret waiting list real?  I still have not heard from a number of schools and I have assumed that I was not accepted and they just havent sent out my rejection.

Yes. Last year at NYU at least 3 people were admitted on/around 14 April and they had not heard anything from the school until then. Chances are slim, but I'm not just making it up--some schools have internal waiting lists that they don't announce. **Also, now that it's mid-March I think it's completely appropriate to email schools and ask when you might hear back. 

Edited by OHSP

3 hours ago, lordtiandao said:

How would one draft an e-mail telling a potential POI at one school of an acceptance of an offer at another school?

What would be the purpose of that?  To negotiate a funding offer? To share good news? Can you please clarify?

4 minutes ago, TMP said:

What would be the purpose of that?  To negotiate a funding offer? To share good news? Can you please clarify?

Because this professor really wanted me to work with her but I've decided to go somewhere else so I thought it would be polite to inform her? If it's not a good idea, then I won't do it.

5 hours ago, lordtiandao said:

Because this professor really wanted me to work with her but I've decided to go somewhere else so I thought it would be polite to inform her? If it's not a good idea, then I won't do it.

Dear Professor X,

Thank you very much for the encouragement to work with you at University A.  I appreciated our conversations and I learned a lot.  However, after much consideration, I have decided that University B is a stronger fit for my needs.

I look forward to continuing our conversations and seeing each other at future conversations.

1 hour ago, Account6567 said:

I'm going on a campus visit for a PhD I'm considering early next week (not an official campus day, they just set up a visit for me personally). Is there a dress code I should abide by or is it treated as a casual thing?

Just dress as you would to go to a grad school class. Jeans are fine, etc--I mean make sure your clothes are clean but don't wear a suit.

7 hours ago, Account6567 said:

I'm going on a campus visit for a PhD I'm considering early next week (not an official campus day, they just set up a visit for me personally). Is there a dress code I should abide by or is it treated as a casual thing?

Khakis, button down, and a sweater should be more than appropriate. 

7 hours ago, OHSP said:

Just dress as you would to go to a grad school class. Jeans are fine, etc--I mean make sure your clothes are clean but don't wear a suit.

Skip the jeans.  Business casual.  If you are a guy, don't worry about a tie-- it's a bit over the top.  From my observation, prospective students look way more nervous in their ties than those who didn't. :)   Ladies, you may be doing a good bit of walking so choose shoes that you are comfortable wearing all day.  Dress in layers.

7 hours ago, TMP said:

Skip the jeans.  Business casual.  If you are a guy, don't worry about a tie-- it's a bit over the top.  From my observation, prospective students look way more nervous in their ties than those who didn't. :)   Ladies, you may be doing a good bit of walking so choose shoes that you are comfortable wearing all day.  Dress in layers.

It depends on the school and who you are. Business casual would make you look out of place at NYU, so perhaps try to get a sense of what students wear. The ladies comment is strange. The main thing re clothes is to dress in a manner that's usual for you--don't go and buy khakis if you would never wear khakis. 

Edited by OHSP

7 hours ago, OHSP said:

It depends on the school and who you are. Business casual would make you look out of place at NYU, so perhaps try to get a sense of what students wear. The ladies comment is strange. The main thing re clothes is to dress in a manner that's usual for you--don't go and buy khakis if you would never wear khakis. 

@TMP's "ladies comment" is alluding to women who wear heels. I agree 100%--as someone who wanted to look extra nice and professional at prospie visits, I brought heels and it was super uncomfortable as I never wear them. You will be walking a bit, most programs do a campus or library tour, some even do a tour of the area surrounding campus, so shoes that won't make your feet scream are good. My suggestion is to dress comfortably, in clean, undamaged clothes that are professional but not ostentatious. Most grad students wear casual clothes (I'm in jeans and hoodies 99% of the time) but it is dependent on department culture for sure so that's a good thing to look into. Bringing a set of fancier clothes is a good idea too, just in case. People tend to dress nicer at department dinners and whatnot.

My take: Dress however you want and don't listen to the prescriptive advice in this thread. I've seen prospective students wearing suits and ties, tweed jackets, summer dresses, jeans and sweatshirts, sleeveless tank tops, slogan t-shirts, etc. without attracting any comment. (The one thing I don't remember seeing is workout clothing, which may actually stand out enough for some professors to find it off-putting.)

It's true most grad students tend to dress in a particular way, but at least in my department that's a personal choice and not something professors or other grad students care about.

Your behavior/general demeanor is what people will remember from your visit, so just make sure your clothes are clean and you feel confident in them.

On 2/26/2018 at 2:18 PM, MastigosAtLarge said:

My advisor had an admitted incoming Ph.D. student visit a few weeks ago, Boston College has released at least some acceptances.

Oh wow. I’m still waiting to hear from them. 

Has as anyone heard from BC or Texas A&M?