Fall 2018 Applicants

glycoprotein1

22 hours ago, lordtiandao said:

It could possibly be a rejection, or it might mean you've been placed on an internal waitlist. 

Thank you! And I believe you are right in a certain sense - I received email from POI telling me thy they can only give me the admission to the master’s program.

Anyone admitted to George Washington's History PhD program? When is their visitation weekend and do you intend to accept the offer? I am waitlisted and wonder if I have a chance... Any insights from admits would be much appreciated!

7 hours ago, no taxation said:

Any fellow Texans heard from TCU or SMU?

4 hours ago, cocakolakowski said:

I am also waiting on SMU and have heard nothing via the portal or otherwise. Hopefully soon!

4 hours ago, Account6567 said:

I heard back about a week ago. Best of luck to both of you!

I was concerned because it was much later than the posted results from recent years, so I got in touch with the graduate director at SMU last Friday. I am on the waitlist. She was very friendly concerning my reaching out, so I'm sure those of you who haven't heard could do the same. Account6567, were you accepted? I haven't seen any talk on the forums about any of the schools I applied to, so I'm surprised to find such a large group here.

10 minutes ago, un_commonwealth said:

I was concerned because it was much later than the posted results from recent years, so I got in touch with the graduate director at SMU last Friday. I am on the waitlist. She was very friendly concerning my reaching out, so I'm sure those of you who haven't heard could do the same. Account6567, were you accepted? I haven't seen any talk on the forums about any of the schools I applied to, so I'm surprised to find such a large group here.

I was, and the DGS was really nice to me as well, definitely gave off a good impression. I also was really surprised to see other people mentioning SMU on here- If you or any of the others are interested in further details feel free to message me!

3 hours ago, Guest1101 said:

Hello, anyone heard from Ohio State?

I noticed they already sent out offers one month ago. Does that mean I am out of run this year? The website still shows my application is under review.

I haven't seen or heard anything about Graduate Admissions this year although I did get an e-mail about student hosting for Visitation Day.  The numbers aren't finalized yet.  If you haven't been notified at this point, it's likely that you have not been admitted, if we aren't going to go with new TAs (even if we do, the list wil be very small).  Don't worry, the Graduate School is pretty slow on this-- I didn't even get my first rejection from OSU until mid-March years ago!

2 hours ago, TMP said:

I haven't seen or heard anything about Graduate Admissions this year although I did get an e-mail about student hosting for Visitation Day.  The numbers aren't finalized yet.  If you haven't been notified at this point, it's likely that you have not been admitted, if we aren't going to go with new TAs (even if we do, the list wil be very small).  Don't worry, the Graduate School is pretty slow on this-- I didn't even get my first rejection from OSU until mid-March years ago!

Glad to hear that. Thank you very much!

Did anyone else get an email inviting them to apply for Columbia's MA programs? I was mildly excited until I realized it 1. Wasn't a personal email and 2. "Please note that the estimated tuition cost for Academic Year 2018-19 is $57,078. While deadlines for external fellowships are likely to have passed, a certain amount of internal fellowship aid is available."

2 hours ago, Account6567 said:

Did anyone else get an email inviting them to apply for Columbia's MA programs? I was mildly excited until I realized it 1. Wasn't a personal email and 2. "Please note that the estimated tuition cost for Academic Year 2018-19 is $57,078. While deadlines for external fellowships are likely to have passed, a certain amount of internal fellowship aid is available."

The Ivy MA programs are cash cows and largely not worth it.

Got officially rejected from Georgetown so I think I am out this cycle for PhD's. I was not even offered admission to the Masters program (unless they chose to follow up later) not that I could do that without major funding anyways.  Ohio State and Minnesota still maintain radio silence, but I suspect strongly that is not meant as a positive sign. 

I did get an e-mail almost simultaneously get acceptance for a Master of Science degree in Environmental Economics and Urban Planning at Tufts.  Tufts tends to fund some of their MS degrees. If I got funding then I would need to weight pros and cons, talk to my SO, and make some career choices.  Could use the econ masters to go towards an econ PhD.  Ultimately I want to be in academia, and the market for econ is better than history. Would even be similar interests in a general way but with a different focus (present day rather than past).  

Still I think I would be happier with history and that the question I want to answer are a better fit for the field. If no funding I think I will wait and maybe reapply for history PhDs. I also still have the offer for the Rutgers master. I'll have to wait a few weeks before I e-mail my POI.  The extent of the reasons for my rejection will also be a big part of any decisions.

Good luck to anyone who still has applications outstanding or is on a wait list somewhere.

3 hours ago, Account6567 said:

Yeah got this one too. All I can say its nice try, Columbia.