Fall 2018 Applicants

glycoprotein1

15 minutes ago, pilisopa said:

Thank you. That's a good point; doing that. Any thoughts on reputation? 

I guess TMP's point is that placement will tell you about the school's actual reputation as relevant to the job market. Try to stay away from essentially worthless rankings (i.e. US news). Also when you're asking whether/where people at BU get jobs etc make sure that it's relevant to people in your field--I'd get in touch with some 5th+ year students in your field.

16 minutes ago, OHSP said:

I guess TMP's point is that placement will tell you about the school's actual reputation as relevant to the job market. Try to stay away from essentially worthless rankings (i.e. US news). Also when you're asking whether/where people at BU get jobs etc make sure that it's relevant to people in your field--I'd get in touch with some 5th+ year students in your field.

I think I'm tying myself into knots with the rankings. Every time I look up them up - whether US News, THE, QS, or NRC - BU's history dep't. doesn't figure prominently in them but for my very specific focus within European intellectual history, it's got some good folks. I guess part of my concern is that it's going to be hard to assess what the post-PhD prospects are with graduates since so few people study what I do so I'm looking for some indication that I'm going to get some value out of going there. 

24 minutes ago, pilisopa said:

I think I'm tying myself into knots with the rankings. Every time I look up them up - whether US News, THE, QS, or NRC - BU's history dep't. doesn't figure prominently in them but for my very specific focus within European intellectual history, it's got some good folks. I guess part of my concern is that it's going to be hard to assess what the post-PhD prospects are with graduates since so few people study what I do so I'm looking for some indication that I'm going to get some value out of going there. 

Seriously just let those rankings go. The US News rankings threw me last year until I spoke to professors who told me to stop. You don't need to find graduates studying exactly what you study, just look at fields. It seems like you're in European intellectual history so where have other BU graduates in that field been getting post-PhD positions? Who are you thinking of advisor-wise and where have they placed students? Etc. You're completely right to be concerned about BU but to answer your questions you need to basically take TMP's advice and ask current and recent students and professors. 

1 hour ago, pilisopa said:

Feeling a bit this way about Minnesota. It's an awesome fit, but I am worried about job prospects. They are very open about their employment prospects--64% of graduates since 2004 have found jobs as professors after the program. I don't know if that's good or bad. 

Edited by astroid88

1 hour ago, astroid88 said:

Feeling a bit this way about Minnesota. It's an awesome fit, but I am worried about job prospects. They are very open about their employment prospects--64% of graduates since 2004 have found jobs as professors after the program. I don't know if that's good or bad. 

That's a bit misleading. The academic job market, while tight before the 2008-2009 crash, was significantly better than it is today. The question is really what students who graduated 3-5 years ago do.

https://www.historians.org/publications-and-directories/perspectives-on-history/february-2016/the-troubled-academic-job-market-for-history

Now, the AHA job listings have problems, but I think the overarching point stands.

Edited by psstein

1 hour ago, astroid88 said:

There's also the question of where. I believe if you're 100% flexible about where you are and you keep trying, you will find a teaching job somewhere but is that what you want? It seems like if you're aiming to teach at  top university, the likelihood is low that you'll be able to unless you've graduated from a top university. While the conventional wisdom seems to be to pay more attention to advisor and program, this apparent fact offers some food for thought. 

21 minutes ago, pilisopa said:

There's also the question of where. I believe if you're 100% flexible about where you are and you keep trying, you will find a teaching job somewhere but is that what you want? It seems like if you're aiming to teach at  top university, the likelihood is low that you'll be able to unless you've graduated from a top university. While the conventional wisdom seems to be to pay more attention to advisor and program, this apparent fact offers some food for thought. 

I'm not really too worried about what university/college setting I teach in, though I do have a geographical preference for Florida. Whether I teach at a community college or state doesn't concern me.

I guess my concern is whether coming out of Minnesota will close the doors to these types of jobs. 

Edited by astroid88

Just heard from my POI at Illinois-Urbana that all acceptances and wait-list notifications for that history program have been sent out. So, if--like me--you hadn't heard anything from Illinois yet, it is an implied rejection unfortunately. POI was kind about it, said I had a "very strong application," and said Illinois simply had an overabundance of Europeanists this year and couldn't admit several students that he would have liked to see in the program.

9 hours ago, pilisopa said:

To be straight, "European intellectual history" in general is not desirable unless it's tied to the transnational and had real impact on the society (i.e. migration, colonialism, science/technology).  Human rights is definitely big right now. Those are where the hot areas are.  Be sure to read the job descriptions from H-Net and search for the "winners" of the last 2 cycles.  It should give you a good sense of what departments want these days. While you can teach a survey, how many undergrads are going to really want to sign up for "European intellectual" history?  FWIW, I'm an Europeanist as well and I specialize in transnational migration.

8 hours ago, astroid88 said:

44% is pretty average if I can recall this on study.  The real question is, where are these 44% of students getting their tenure track jobs?  Those are your clear indications of where you are most likely hired (My guess, mostly in the Midwest, simply because it's a regional thing). If you want a job in Florida, there is no reason why you can't try to apply.  Minnesota is certainly better known nationally than University of Florida.

Remember the difference between teaching and research institutions-  Research institutions have a course load of 2-4 courses a year whereas teaching institutions can press for 6-8.

Got an email Tuesday night from a POI accepting me to a PhD, informing me of the decision and saying let's talk. The POI is very nice, talked to them once before when I was considering applying and in my field so I don't want to harm any potential relationship. However, since applying, I looked into the school more and the placement records just aren't good enough for there to really be anything the POI'd say that would cause me to decide to attend. At the same time though, I can't say I already received an offer from ___ because I haven't been accepted anywhere else yet, and in fact it's possible I don't get in elsewhere this cycle- I just feel I'd be better off doing something else for a year than locking myself into a program below what I'm hoping for career-wise at this time.

So, my question is, am I being more polite by saying the right things and talking to the POI about the program first, then politely rejecting the offer after the fact? Or am I better off literally responding to the email with thanks but there's no need to as unfortunately I won't be accepting? I need to respond soon since it's already been a couple days but I just have no clue how to go about the situation.

Edited by gorange94

36 minutes ago, gorange94 said:

Got an email Tuesday night from a POI accepting me to a PhD, informing me of the decision and saying let's talk. The POI is very nice, talked to them once before when I was considering applying and in my field so I don't want to harm any potential relationship. However, since applying, I looked into the school more and the placement records just aren't good enough for there to really be anything the POI'd say that would cause me to decide to attend. At the same time though, I can't say I already received an offer from ___ because I haven't been accepted anywhere else yet, and in fact it's possible I don't get in elsewhere this cycle- I just feel I'd be better off doing something else for a year than locking myself into a program below what I'm hoping for career-wise at this time.

So, my question is, am I being more polite by saying the right things and talking to the POI about the program first, then politely rejecting the offer after the fact? Or am I better off literally responding to the email with thanks but there's no need to as unfortunately I won't be accepting? I need to respond soon since it's already been a couple days but I just have no clue how to go about the situation.

If the program is a really good fit for you and it has the resources to help you do what you want to do, then maybe you are worrying a bit too much about placement records. Its not to say they are unimportant, but you chose to apply to this program for a reason. I say take the call and ask the tough questions you want to know about how the program will prepare you for the job market and be open to hearing what your POI has to say---that is, don't take the call as a courtesy, but with as much sincerity and curiosity as possible. Ask about departmental, university, local, and regional resources. Ask about their professional development opportunities, university programs grad students typically get involved with, prestigious fellowship placement rates, etc. Find out more about why they dont have stellar placement rates before making your final final call not to take this opportunity. Next cycle is no guarantee that your prospects will improve: much of the acceptance process depends on fit and luck. 

1 hour ago, gorange94 said:

Agreed with @KLZ, the more you demonstrate in your conversation with the school that you are gathering information to make an informed decision, the less the Dept and POI will be turned off by your eventual decision to decline.  But be aware that you may not apply there again next year, even if you change your mind over the summer. There is a way to write a polite letter of declination.  However,  first, ask the hard questions.  After all, everyone knows that you are going to 'give up" 5-8 years of your life and don't want you to regret it.

Hi everyone! First time poster here. I was recently admitted to three schools, among them, Brown. I'm wondering if anyone has heard about when Brown plans on hosting a campus visit for prospective students. While I've heard from the other schools, I haven't heard from Brown and I'd love to visit to get a feel for the department, students, etc. Thanks for any insight!

2 hours ago, rafaelito said:

Hi everyone! First time poster here. I was recently admitted to three schools, among them, Brown. I'm wondering if anyone has heard about when Brown plans on hosting a campus visit for prospective students. While I've heard from the other schools, I haven't heard from Brown and I'd love to visit to get a feel for the department, students, etc. Thanks for any insight!

Last I heard, campus visits were the 16/17th of March, although you should be getting formal confirmation of that shortly. Let me know if you have any specific questions!

1 hour ago, telkanuru said:

Last I heard, campus visits were the 16/17th of March, although you should be getting formal confirmation of that shortly. Let me know if you have any specific questions!

I just got the email. Thanks! I'll probably be reaching out to you soon. Today is moving day. Looking forward to the visit!

2 hours ago, Qtf311 said:

Sorry if this has been asked and answered but where is there a good place to go to find reliable info on grad school rankings and placements? I’ve spoken to faculty and students but I want more, I am a greedy man.  ? thanks everyone

I started a thread a while ago that some of our users contributed some helpful resources to: https://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/100694-easiest-way-to-find-out-tt-placement-rate-for-phd-programs/

11 hours ago, KLZ said:

If the program is a really good fit for you and it has the resources to help you do what you want to do, then maybe you are worrying a bit too much about placement records. Its not to say they are unimportant, but you chose to apply to this program for a reason. I say take the call and ask the tough questions you want to know about how the program will prepare you for the job market and be open to hearing what your POI has to say---that is, don't take the call as a courtesy, but with as much sincerity and curiosity as possible. Ask about departmental, university, local, and regional resources. Ask about their professional development opportunities, university programs grad students typically get involved with, prestigious fellowship placement rates, etc. Find out more about why they dont have stellar placement rates before making your final final call not to take this opportunity. Next cycle is no guarantee that your prospects will improve: much of the acceptance process depends on fit and luck. 

11 hours ago, TMP said:

Agreed with @KLZ, the more you demonstrate in your conversation with the school that you are gathering information to make an informed decision, the less the Dept and POI will be turned off by your eventual decision to decline.  But be aware that you may not apply there again next year, even if you change your mind over the summer. There is a way to write a polite letter of declination.  However,  first, ask the hard questions.  After all, everyone knows that you are going to 'give up" 5-8 years of your life and don't want you to regret it.

Thank you both for the advice! I will do so

Got an email from a POI saying he's glad to see that I have applied to their program and that the decisions will be made within the next few weeks.

Hoping to know my options for the next year in a couple of weeks. I'd be fine with both staying where I am now for another year and with starting an MA program, so I'm excited to find out what it will be.

3 hours ago, fortsibut said:

Well, looks from the results board like Cornell POIs have been doing interviews with students they're interested in.  Not a good sign for me.

It's not over 'til it's over. Even if no acceptance is immediately forthcoming, you may end up near the top of a wait-list. We're rooting for you!