Fall 2018 Applicants

glycoprotein1

3 minutes ago, lordtiandao said:

It's 10PM here, so almost time for bed. I wonder if there will be anything unpleasant after I wake up.

It's actually around 9pm here in my country, but I converted it to EST timezone just to make it sound more dramatic lol. 

Let's hope that there will be good news when we wake up!  

+1 Harvard rejection. After seeing the acceptances last week, I am not surprised at all. I didn't enter to the survey but I was informally interviewed (or rather say asked my top school) in early January. I had been in contact with my POI for a very long time. I am writing this to remind once more that don't believe anything until you see the official letter, which I think is one of the most repeated and wisest messages I've encountered in this forum so far. :) 

53 minutes ago, astroid88 said:

All quiet on the western front.

In the east, however, there is movement with Georgetown. 

Was that your posting on the results or did you just hear something through the grapevine?  This is nerve-wracking since I think this is my last chance this year.

12 minutes ago, Banzailizard said:

Was that your posting on the results or did you just hear something through the grapevine?  This is nerve-wracking since I think this is my last chance this year.

Not my post. 

I still have not heard anything except the rejection from University of Oregon so I'm taking that as a bad sign. The other schools I applied to have already sent out some acceptances. Now it's just waiting for the rejections to roll in. 

Maybe a bit premature, but I have pretty much accepted the fact that I will have to try again next application cycle. I think I will spend this year working towards strengthening my application. Retaking the GRE, improving my German, and narrowing down my research interests even more are going to be my top priorities. 

Been suspecting Harvard was seeing some other people else. Last week, I saw some posts about Harvard proposing to someone already! How dare you, Harvard! Today, I got the classic "its me, not you" letter from H, which confirmed my greatest fear. What a way to break up on Valentine's Day. Thanks, Harvard.

3 hours ago, Tigla said:

Received a conditional offer from University of Birmingham (UK) today. Now it is time to start the hunt for funding! A general note about the UK, decisions are starting to go out, but most will appear in March.

Congrats.  May you have the enviable position in deciding which side of the pond to do your doctorate. 

On 2/12/2018 at 10:14 PM, Account6567 said:

Are you saying next year because you've already been rejected from the schools you applied to this cycle? I don't mean to pry; just asking because I also applied to UChicago's MAPSS and haven't heard anything in terms of good or bad news.

Oh no, I'm still in undergrad. I'm applying next year.

1 hour ago, Basura said:

@ltr317 Just wanted to update you on the CUNY situation. I've had my interview and plan to visit in March. I should have a yes or no for them by 3/20 at the very latest and possibly well before then depending on if/where I get acceptances to.

Thanks for the update.

4 hours ago, kenalyass said:

Oh no, I'm still in undergrad. I'm applying next year.

Are you a junior or senior?  Your profile indicates you're applying for next fall and your signature indicates a list of programs.  Did you change your mind? 

8 minutes ago, ltr317 said:

Are you a junior or senior?  Your profile indicates you're applying for next fall and your signature indicates a list of programs.  Did you change your mind? 

Either that or @kenalyass took "Application Season" to mean the time when they would be submitting their applications (as opposed to the enrollment season that they would be applying for), and has picked out their schools really, really early...

7 minutes ago, TheHessianHistorian said:

Either that or @kenalyass took "Application Season" to mean the time when they would be submitting their applications (as opposed to the enrollment season that they would be applying for), and has picked out their schools really, really early...

I see; although I've never heard of anyone picking all their schools two years ahead of time.  Thanks. 

13 hours ago, pepe.s said:

Harvard has just sent out emails with link to check the website for decisions (which I was rejected, as expected!). It seems St Valentine's Massacre has begun! 

I just looked at today's results.  You're not kidding.  Is this Harvard's version of a cruel joke regarding St. Valentine's Day Massacre? 

8 minutes ago, ltr317 said:

I just looked at today's results.  You're not kidding.  Is this Harvard's version of a cruel joke regarding St. Valentine's Day Massacre? 

That's highly possible! and beside that, we all have become some sort of martyrs :lol: :lol:

14 minutes ago, pepe.s said:

That's highly possible! and beside that, we all have become some sort of martyrs :lol: :lol:

In that case, every reject deserves sainthood and should immediately be admitted into Harvard's divinity school.  

4 hours ago, pilisopa said:

Trying to decide about offer with funding from BU. Thoughts on reputation and post-PhD prospects? Will be doing European intellectual history.

That's the question you should be asking BU people-- both graduate students and professors.  Where are they getting jobs?  Do you want those jobs?