Fall 2018 Applicants

glycoprotein1

1 hour ago, TheHessianHistorian said:

It's not over 'til it's over. Even if no acceptance is immediately forthcoming, you may end up near the top of a wait-list. We're rooting for you!

Thanks for the encouragement!  Been a rough week; I successfully defended my MA thesis but it was a rough defense process so I'm really hoping Cornell comes through for me.  =)

3 hours ago, fortsibut said:

Thanks for the encouragement!  Been a rough week; I successfully defended my MA thesis but it was a rough defense process so I'm really hoping Cornell comes through for me.  =)

Congrats on your defense and my fingers are crossed on Ithaca. 

19 hours ago, rafaelito said:

I just got the email. Thanks! I'll probably be reaching out to you soon. Today is moving day. Looking forward to the visit!

Hi, good to know a Brown fellow! Too bad that I probably can't go to the campus visit....may I ask what is your specialization? I'm working on modern East Asian history.

2 hours ago, histsci said:

Hi folks, so I have been waitlisted for one of my top choices. Typically, by when do these things become clearer? Is it okay to write to the grad admissions coordinator and ask about these details? 

You won't be the first to ask for details, particularly whether the waitlist is set in stone or flexible (depending how the faculty voted).  Thank the director for the notification and that you still hope to attend the program and ask for a timeline.  And then follow their instructions exactly.  If s/he tells you not until April 15, don't bug between that e-mail (other than "thank you and I look forward to hearing from you on April 15").  Also, e-mail your POI that you have learned of the decision and that you are still hoping to get off.  If the waitlist is not set in stone, stress what makes the program such a good fit for you and you can't see yourself anywhere else.  Make sure both are CCed.

Got an acceptance email from my POI at Binghamton University (SUNY) early this morning! I think I have a general idea of where the rest of my applications will fall at this point (with a couple wildcards). Now the emails that will be keeping me on pins and needles will be regarding funding offerings.

1 hour ago, TMP said:

You won't be the first to ask for details, particularly whether the waitlist is set in stone or flexible (depending how the faculty voted).  Thank the director for the notification and that you still hope to attend the program and ask for a timeline.  And then follow their instructions exactly.  If s/he tells you not until April 15, don't bug between that e-mail (other than "thank you and I look forward to hearing from you on April 15").  Also, e-mail your POI that you have learned of the decision and that you are still hoping to get off.  If the waitlist is not set in stone, stress what makes the program such a good fit for you and you can't see yourself anywhere else.  Make sure both are CCed.

Thank you! That was super helpful.

The notification letter came via GSAS and was signed by the Dean for Admissions and Finance Aid. I should be writing to the DGS of my program right? 

Could you also tell me a bit more about what you mean by waitlist being flexible? Sorry, first time applicant here! 

7 hours ago, TheHessianHistorian said:

Got an acceptance email from my POI at Binghamton University (SUNY) early this morning! I think I have a general idea of where the rest of my applications will fall at this point (with a couple wildcards). Now the emails that will be keeping me on pins and needles will be regarding funding offerings.

Congrats!  Looks like when the smoke clears you'll have quite a few options to choose and decide on the winner!

11 hours ago, BagelBabee said:

Hi, good to know a Brown fellow! Too bad that I probably can't go to the campus visit....may I ask what is your specialization? I'm working on modern East Asian history.

Hey there! Congrats to you! Yeah, the email said there are 18 of us. Pretty darn cool. I'm looking to specialize in twentieth century US history. Too bad you can't go to the campus visit. I'm looking forward to it, since I will be making my decision probably based on my gut. Now, to access that nebulous gut feeling...

3 hours ago, Pacifist101 said:

Just got an acceptance letter from Texas Tech for master's. They're offering me a TA and a recruitment fellowship. Pretty good for my first decision this cycle.

Hey, same here! What's your specialization! I haven't decided which offer I'll accept yet, but I may end up seeing you at TTU.

18 hours ago, histsci said:

Thank you! That was super helpful.

The notification letter came via GSAS and was signed by the Dean for Admissions and Finance Aid. I should be writing to the DGS of my program right? 

Could you also tell me a bit more about what you mean by waitlist being flexible? Sorry, first time applicant here! 

"Flexible" could be anything.  Just ask how the waitlist works, especially if it's dependent on the field (in an effort to keep the cohort balanced).

Some acceptances to Georgetown on the grad cafe admissions. If the lucky ones don't mind, what are your areas/time periods of study? It might help a few people out. 

Edited by astroid88

Well nothing from Georgetown and I see a few responses already up there on the results.  I am still nursing a little hope, just as with Minnesota and Ohio State, but realistically I think I am shut out this season. 

What are the norms around contacting POI for feedback on an application?  I do not want to come off as whiny ("why didn't I get in"), but I do want information that I can act on. There is a big difference after all between a structural problem (my language background is insufficient, my lack of archival work is too detrimental, my writing sample is so poor as to be unusable) correctable problem (my SOP is still to broad/vague/work workable with my background, I need to find better fits) or if it was just the luck of the draw/ internal politics/ what have you.  Each of these would require a very different response on my part as preparation for next year, or further out if it is a serious issue. I am sure some of it depends on my relation to my POI but I stopped e-mailing all of them by October (I am rather bad about keeping up conversations both in-person and online).

I was admitted to Rutgers for a MA, its cheep enough in state that I could self fund, though it would use all of my funds so I am rather hesitant.  I have also debated auditing courses in the summer, if offered, so that I can have a little structure to my academic learning again.

Reading some of the qualification of people on this forum I suspect my problems are structural. I pessimistically feel like my dual major gave me two half degrees rather than two full degrees.  I lack the serious mathematical training for an econ PhD (my original attempt from which I would move towards econ history). Simultaneously my history degree was very unfocused, not spending any serious time with primary sources, taking classes with no coherent geographic or temporal (other than premodern) focus, and taking a language (German) because I did in high school rather than as a focus towards anything I was interested in (and which now has little to do with my academic interest).

That being said, I am not sure how seriously my academic profile deviates from those admitted to PhD programs, and I am not sure how to find out that sort of information short of asking POI.

53 minutes ago, Banzailizard said:

Well nothing from Georgetown and I see a few responses already up there on the results.  I am still nursing a little hope, just as with Minnesota and Ohio State, but realistically I think I am shut out this season. 

What are the norms around contacting POI for feedback on an application?  I do not want to come off as whiny ("why didn't I get in"), but I do want information that I can act on. There is a big difference after all between a structural problem (my language background is insufficient, my lack of archival work is too detrimental, my writing sample is so poor as to be unusable) correctable problem (my SOP is still to broad/vague/work workable with my background, I need to find better fits) or if it was just the luck of the draw/ internal politics/ what have you.  Each of these would require a very different response on my part as preparation for next year, or further out if it is a serious issue. I am sure some of it depends on my relation to my POI but I stopped e-mailing all of them by October (I am rather bad about keeping up conversations both in-person and online).

I was admitted to Rutgers for a MA, its cheep enough in state that I could self fund, though it would use all of my funds so I am rather hesitant.  I have also debated auditing courses in the summer, if offered, so that I can have a little structure to my academic learning again.

Reading some of the qualification of people on this forum I suspect my problems are structural. I pessimistically feel like my dual major gave me two half degrees rather than two full degrees.  I lack the serious mathematical training for an econ PhD (my original attempt from which I would move towards econ history). Simultaneously my history degree was very unfocused, not spending any serious time with primary sources, taking classes with no coherent geographic or temporal (other than premodern) focus, and taking a language (German) because I did in high school rather than as a focus towards anything I was interested in (and which now has little to do with my academic interest).

That being said, I am not sure how seriously my academic profile deviates from those admitted to PhD programs, and I am not sure how to find out that sort of information short of asking POI.

Don’t lose hope yet! Georgetown is just getting started. When I was admitted to Minnesota, I had already seen several people post on the admissions page. Furthermore, Georgetown does waitlists. I had an acquaintance get in off of the waitlist. 

1 hour ago, Banzailizard said:

What are the norms around contacting POI for feedback on an application?  I do not want to come off as whiny ("why didn't I get in"), but I do want information that I can act on.

I think you hit the nail on the head right there. Steer clear of "why didn't I get in?" and more toward "Thank you for the consideration you gave my application. Do you have any thoughts on weak spots in my application, and how I might strengthen my application in the future?"

1 hour ago, TheHessianHistorian said:

I think you hit the nail on the head right there. Steer clear of "why didn't I get in?" and more toward "Thank you for the consideration you gave my application. Do you have any thoughts on weak spots in my application, and how I might strengthen my application in the future?"

Should we emailing DGS or the primary POI with this type of question?

13 minutes ago, Account6567 said:

Should we emailing DGS or the primary POI with this type of question?

You could email both, but unless your POI was on the admissions committee, I might advise steering more toward the DGS with such a question.

@Banzailizard Either in your first email or in a follow-up if you get a positive response, you could also ask whether they think the Rutgers MA, specifically, would be useful for any applications you submit in the future. It sounds from your post on this page like you have minimal languages and are applying to a field where you really do need languages, so I would guess the answer is going to be yes, it will be helpful. But if it feels useful for you to have a more specific query, that sounds like an acceptable one.

2 hours ago, astroid88 said:

Don’t lose hope yet! Georgetown is just getting started. When I was admitted to Minnesota, I had already seen several people post on the admissions page. Furthermore, Georgetown does waitlists. I had an acquaintance get in off of the waitlist. 

Like I said I am not without hope, but I am risk adverse so I tend to like to have a solid plan B. I will wait at least until I have an official rejection in hand before doing anything, but inactivity while the odds narrow cuts against my grain.

37 minutes ago, TheHessianHistorian said:

You could email both, but unless your POI was on the admissions committee, I might advise steering more toward the DGS with such a question.

I appreciate the responses.  I really was not sure what protocol was on this sort of thing, and if in inquiring at all, as oppose to having the feedback be offered unsolicited, I would be committing a faux pas.  I do not know if any of my POI were on the admissions committee, it seemed impolite to ask, so contacting the DGS sounds valuable.

31 minutes ago, hats said:

@Banzailizard Either in your first email or in a follow-up if you get a positive response, you could also ask whether they think the Rutgers MA, specifically, would be useful for any applications you submit in the future. It sounds from your post on this page like you have minimal languages and are applying to a field where you really do need languages, so I would guess the answer is going to be yes, it will be helpful. But if it feels useful for you to have a more specific query, that sounds like an acceptable one.

If it is just a language problem I would rather audit the courses and self teach.  I suppose I could ask them if they require credit and a grade as proof of proficiency.  I do like the idea of leading with a specific question though.  It seems less prone to misunderstanding that I am looking for something other than critical and specific feedback.

13 minutes ago, Banzailizard said:

Like I said I am not without hope, but I am risk adverse so I tend to like to have a solid plan B. I will wait at least until I have an official rejection in hand before doing anything, but inactivity while the odds narrow cuts against my grain.

I appreciate the responses.  I really was not sure what protocol was on this sort of thing, and if in inquiring at all, as oppose to having the feedback be offered unsolicited, I would be committing a faux pas.  I do not know if any of my POI were on the admissions committee, it seemed impolite to ask, so contacting the DGS sounds valuable.

If it is just a language problem I would rather audit the courses and self teach.  I suppose I could ask them if they require credit and a grade as proof of proficiency.  I do like the idea of leading with a specific question though.  It seems less prone to misunderstanding that I am looking for something other than critical and specific feedback.

a few things.

Indeed, frame question is, "I'm interested in strengthen my application for the next cycle.  What might I be able to improve on?" The POI and the DGS will say something.  Your POI, I can almost guarantee you, did read your application and is more likely to remember it than the DGS who has seen a lot more applications that things become kind of blurry.  Both will have application on their computers for reference.  CC on another.  I've done this before and it worked out just fine. They will usually stress the statement of purpose, language training or experience.  GPA and GRE, they know, just need to be above minimum Graduate School (3.0 GPA and I don't know the GRE these days) and those hard to raise.  I highly doubt that they will want to see "credits" for language training; you can simply show your proficiency through your writing sample. 

What I have learned is-- don't ask just one school, ask a few to find a bit of common pattern.  I do want to believe that many will try to be honest with you.