What kind of computer is everyone getting (or already have) for grad school? I have a Macbook Pro that's four years old, but I'm wondering if I should get a new computer for grad school. 

I think any laptop is fine as long as you dont have to run any huge programs. We mainly just use word at my school along with ppts and videos. I have a 2012 macbook and its gets the job done with no complaints. We just take a surge protector to class so multiple people can plug in their laptops during class since there are only a few outlets. Pretty much everyone takes notes on their mac. A few have windows and some hand write their notes. But no one has mentioned anything about their computer. Good luck in grad school! 

I just got a Surface Pro 4 hybrid tablet/laptop because one of my high school friends was selling it cheap (she's a technical editor and got a new job where it wouldn't work for her needs). I really like it, much better than our MacBook and iPad. It's like the "Goldilocks" solution- does more stuff than the iPad but more portable than the MacBook.

The Lenovo Yoga computers are good laptop/tablet hybrids and are relatively cheap. However, I don't think you will need anything other than your 4-year-old Mac. I will be using a Mac older than that. If it can run Word, browse the internet, and run PPTs I think you're good! Unless you have extra cash to spend and really want one... then go for it :) 

If you are inclined to spend money, apart from securing a display and a keyboard that won't drive you nuts, consider a getting one solid-state hard drive.  I don't know how much a standard hard drive is literally at risk, but it feels much better (as well as being quieter, faster, etc.) not to have moving parts that can get dislodged.

• 1 year later...

I bought a new lap top just because mine was older and running slower, but you really dont need to invest your money on a computer, there are probably other things you'll want to spend money on. 

On 7/19/2017 at 8:37 PM, plume said:

The Lenovo Yoga computers are good laptop/tablet hybrids and are relatively cheap. However, I don't think you will need anything other than your 4-year-old Mac. I will be using a Mac older than that. If it can run Word, browse the internet, and run PPTs I think you're good! Unless you have extra cash to spend and really want one... then go for it :) 

I second the Lenovo Yoga as a fairly cheap but still nice option. I absolutely adore mine. It's very thin and light with great battery life and good speed (solid state drive!), and it has made me very happy. I do recommend getting the 14 inch screen, since the 11 inch can be kind of hard to read.

Edited by bibliophile222