I have C's from undergrad, is grad school not a possibility?

Hello everyone! So, I was wondering if anyone has gotten into grad school despite having one or more C's on their undergrad record? My overall GPA is a 3.5 but unfortunately I did get some C's in my online speech courses. I cannot afford to retake these classes as I'm currently unemployed while being a volunteer with the local school district (which I'm hoping will help me experience-wise.) My GRE scores are mediocre, so I plan on retaking that as well but I just wanted to know if the fact that I have more than one C from undergrad will completely destroy my chances of getting in. I know most schools say right on their websites that C's are not acceptable. I plan on explaining in my application the reason why I have C's and why I am going to be a more successful student in grad school. I plan on applying to Northern Arizona University but does anyone also know of schools that are a bit more lenient on this? 

I had three C's during my undergraduate, one in a speech class and two in other courses. It took me three years of applying to speech grad schools but I finally was accepted and couldn't be happier :) Don't be discouraged because of grades. Schools want to look at other aspects of your application besides grades. I had pretty mediocre gre scores as well because I was never a good test taker. However I took the gre's three times and sent all the scores in to show my perseverance to scores which I believe they appreciated. What is your experience in the field and activities during undergrad? To give more of an edge I volunteered at an integrated preschool in the area where I was able to interact with kids and also observe an slp. I talked about this in my letter of intent and how it confirmed my interest in being an slp. If you don't already, getting experience of this nature would greatly help. Try and get professors/bosses that you have a close relationship with to write you letter of intent. To up my game, I didn't do the bare minimum of letters of recommendation (usually 2-3) but instead 4. Are you just applying to schools in Arizona? If you can widen your search to other areas. I have found that by searching Edfind on asha's website of schools, that finding schools that fit my range I had more success of getting into their programs. Addressing the reason of receiving a C in your class is a great start and one that I did. It shows the school that you are addressing it head on and not avoiding it. I know this is a long response, but I hoped it helped. Let me know if you have questions! :) 

8 hours ago, Spondee said:

Woah, it'll be okay. I had a few Cs, and a D. And a lot of Bs. YES. Don't let the 4.0s scare you. Its totally possible. 

Were you able to get in somewhere? I'm kind of in the same boat as OP and you as well. I'm pretty worried about not getting in, but I'm hoping being a special ed assistant this year at an elementary school will help me improve my application. It's frustrating because a 3.4 is still a great gpa in the world of college! :/

2 hours ago, hopefulslp1 said:

Were you able to get in somewhere? I'm kind of in the same boat as OP and you as well. I'm pretty worried about not getting in, but I'm hoping being a special ed assistant this year at an elementary school will help me improve my application. It's frustrating because a 3.4 is still a great gpa in the world of college! :/

Yeah! I got into a few schools, the first year I applied. Just apply really smart, all over the country, and work for a good GRE score. Schools need a number to justify reading the rest of your application. 

I had 2 Cs and 2 low Bs during my second year undergrad from one wretched semester when I learned the hard way that I was not cut out to be a pharmacist. 

It was in Biology lab and Chemistry lab.

I am taking biology and physics of sound ATM. I am thinking science courses more relevant to SLP will make my application stronger. 

My plan is to nail the GRE and to get relevant experience to write about in my SOP.

Other than that, I can only hope for the best!

• 2 months later...

Lol, C's truly do get degrees. I literally failed a class and ended up getting 3 C's in undergrad and got into grad school. You can def get in somewhere with C's on your transcript, you just need to address your grades somewhere in your personal statement (what you've learned from those grades, how you've improved). You can do this, don't let a few C's hold you back. Good luck!

12 minutes ago, Felice said:

Hi everyone! I have one C on my transcript and it was in ENGL 100, should I explain that on my SOP? 

Thanks! 

I assume that was your freshman year, probably your first semester? I don't think I would personally waste space on that. Now a C later on in a CSD class I would definitely try to put into context if I had mitigating factors.

4 hours ago, Crimson Wife said:

I assume that was your freshman year, probably your first semester? I don't think I would personally waste space on that. Now a C later on in a CSD class I would definitely try to put into context if I had mitigating factors.

Yeah, I figured since it was earlier on and it was my only on, it's not worth mentioning. Thanks so much for your help! 

On 8/6/2017 at 1:41 PM, Lor780 said:

Hello everyone! So, I was wondering if anyone has gotten into grad school despite having one or more C's on their undergrad record? My overall GPA is a 3.5 but unfortunately I did get some C's in my online speech courses. I cannot afford to retake these classes as I'm currently unemployed while being a volunteer with the local school district (which I'm hoping will help me experience-wise.) My GRE scores are mediocre, so I plan on retaking that as well but I just wanted to know if the fact that I have more than one C from undergrad will completely destroy my chances of getting in. I know most schools say right on their websites that C's are not acceptable. I plan on explaining in my application the reason why I have C's and why I am going to be a more successful student in grad school. I plan on applying to Northern Arizona University but does anyone also know of schools that are a bit more lenient on this? 

I don’t think one or two Cs will hurt your chances too much but how much did it impact your major GPA? I know NAU uses CSDCAS so they will calculate your GPA into categories like overall, last 60, major (CSD), etc. Are you planning on apply to NAU’s full-time program or part-time summers track for SLPAs? The summers track program is less competitive so if you are currently working as a SLPA you can  apply to both. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/8/2017 at 3:24 AM, Spondee said:

Woah, it'll be okay. I had a few Cs, and a D. And a lot of Bs. YES. Don't let the 4.0s scare you. Its totally possible. 

On 11/2/2017 at 2:16 AM, Swishfish22 said:

Lol, C's truly do get degrees. I literally failed a class and ended up getting 3 C's in undergrad and got into grad school. You can def get in somewhere with C's on your transcript, you just need to address your grades somewhere in your personal statement (what you've learned from those grades, how you've improved). You can do this, don't let a few C's hold you back. Good luck!

Where were you all accepted with C's? I have been trying for 2 years and have now decided to retake some of my undergrad classes because I was thinking the C's were holding me back? I really want this and I know it has to be possible, its just a matter of me applying to the right schools and updating my applications in the right ways. So any tips you have I'm all ears!!

18 hours ago, BCaBAbutwanttobeaSLP said:

Where were you all accepted with C's? I have been trying for 2 years and have now decided to retake some of my undergrad classes because I was thinking the C's were holding me back? I really want this and I know it has to be possible, its just a matter of me applying to the right schools and updating my applications in the right ways. So any tips you have I'm all ears!!

I had 3 c's in undergrad. One of those was in my major. I ended up being accepted into 3 grad programs after 3 different application cycles of trying to get in! Specifically on my schools website they actually discourage you from retaking coursework. They're reasoning for this is that this may be an indication that a student isn't prepared for graduate coursework if they have to retake a course. Another reason is once you have a lot of credit hours redoing coursework has a smaller impact. For me I addressed why I got a C in those certain courses and what I learned from it for next time. This way to the department I am addressing the issue head on and letting them know I can handle receiving help for coursework I am struggling with. Hopefully this helps. Let me know if you  need any help! I'd be happy to share my tips!