NSF GRFP 2017-18

spectastic

Was looking over the NSF GRFP website and saw this:

"For GRFP applicants and reference writers who are located in Puerto Rico, the US Virgin Islands and other islands in hurricane-impacted areas there will be an extension of the application and reference letter deadlines until 5:00 p.m., submitter’s local time, Friday December 29, 2017. Submitter’s local time is determined by the applicant's mailing address. "

i knew there was a delay but didnt realize it was until Dec. 29th. Do you think this will substantially change the release day?

10 minutes ago, nanograd said:

"For GRFP applicants and reference writers who are located in Puerto Rico, the US Virgin Islands and other islands in hurricane-impacted areas there will be an extension of the application and reference letter deadlines until 5:00 p.m., submitter’s local time, Friday December 29, 2017. Submitter’s local time is determined by the applicant's mailing address. "

i knew there was a delay but didnt realize it was until Dec. 29th. Do you think this will substantially change the release day?

I’m assuming not. As suggested previously, the amount of applicants/reference writers in the said areas are relatively minimal compared to the entire applicant pool. 

With such a long review process as is, I wouldn’t expect to see much difference. 

19 minutes ago, nanograd said:

I'd also think that having an online application system does some of the work for them--at least, they don't have to sort them since we select our field/year/etc. And from what I've read about the review process, it seems like the bulk of it happens in January anyway. I wouldn't expect it to delay the process that much, if at all. 

49 minutes ago, nanograd said:

I don't think so.  Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands are about 1% of the total US population,  so they should be around 1% of the total pool so approximately 130-160 applicants.  This is a pretty imprecise estimate but I can't imagine that they would have more than 200 applicants which isn't much to get together.

This website has data for research doctorates from 2015 not super helpful for this year but could give us an estimate for this year.  https://datausa.io/profile/geo/puerto-rico/#education

also I just did a cursory glance so this may not even be what I think it is. If anyone on here is from Puerto Rico and can correct me on this then I will be happily corrected!

26 minutes ago, Behavecol said:

This website has data for research doctorates from 2015 not super helpful for this year but could give us an estimate for this year.  https://datausa.io/profile/geo/puerto-rico/#education

also I just did a cursory glance so this may not even be what I think it is. If anyone on here is from Puerto Rico and can correct me on this then I will be happily corrected!

Here is my interpretation of this data: I counted 254 STEM graduates.  So maybe 400 eligible graduate students and maybe 500 undergrad seniors eligible (total guess based on 6000 STEM graduates in 2015 and not many people want to go to research programs), but not everyone applies so maybe like 900 applicants max,  but since there were only 14,000 applicants for all of American I think not a lot of people apply that are eligible.  I still am sticking by my original 140-160 estimate.  I think there might be some growth in degrees and attrition making more first years than graduates,  but some first and second years may have masters degrees or be international students. Does that estimate look right to other people?

Edited by Bayesian1701
More clarification

2 hours ago, chem23 said:

Do the email notifications for the final results come from grfp@nsf.gov or a different account?

I got a notification from info@nsfgrfp.org .

27 minutes ago, siliconchins said:

Did they send an email containing the result or do you have to access fastlane to see whether you received it?

I think they meant in a previous year, they'll send an email.

Edited by Marinebio444

11 minutes ago, SaltyHatter said:

The 2017 List of Awardees has been reloaded.

Maybe it's a sign that Friday will be the day! 

Finally.  I’m hoping for a maintenance notice in the next 24 hours.  

18 minutes ago, SaltyHatter said:

The 2017 List of Awardees has been reloaded.

Maybe it's a sign that Friday will be the day! 

Must have happened within the last hour.... Hopefully they skip this Friday nonsense and just release the list now, tonight or tomorrow. Friday at the latest. 

Finally joining the thread. I have been checking this thread and others frequently for about a month now. Good luck everyone. 

If they reuploaded the 2017 list with no maintenance does that mean that maintenance might not be necessary?  It was taken down during a maintenance shutdown right, but it went back up without one.  If I had to guess they take it down to make last’s years labeled as the contest year and not the “current year” freeing up the current year label for new results?  I was it not called the current year  in the award year drop down and only in the search feature.  

I agree with @Bayesian1701. They have the  instance of 2018 page w/ no list, and they put back the 2017 list without a maintenance. It all has to do with the AwardList.do file, a java based file for dynamic webpages. They need to add the 2018 list and connect it with the dropdown menu, currently the blank spot. On GRFP when you click awards and honors it takes you to 2018 but when you change to a different year you can’t go back because year doesn’t exist. I think the only issue might be everyone checking the results could crash fastlane. I suspect that is why they have waited until the early morning hours in past years.  But to send out a bunch of emails and upload the list shouldn’t be something that needs maintenance, unless they are worried messing up the AwardList.do file will have other impacts... It shouldn’t.