NSF GRFP 2017-18

spectastic

@harshingig The community on here is just trying to pass the time and vent about a topic that they may not feel comfortable discussing with their peers in real life. You are also willingly on this forum and, if you feel this forum is no longer useful to you, you are welcome to leave. Instead, you choose to post a judgmental comment that is not only condescending, but hypocritical. I sincerely hope this attitude does not "carry over into your research career", since science thrives on respectful communication, which your comment significantly lacks. And yes, for the purpose of this grant it is likely the money is more important than the research, since the NSF-GRFP does not fund the project, it funds the researcher, which means there is a strong likelihood that a number of the proposed research topics will never actually be investigated. I am happy that you are secure enough in your lab that you don't require the additional funding to pursue the projects that excite you, but that is not the case for everyone, as their are some that require the funding from this grant to actually do the research, like myself.  

3 hours ago, harshingig said:

Some of the stuff in this thread is ridiculous for so many reasons. So much nearly blind guessing (with so many factors involved), hype and emotions. Going through the past several pages of this thread you would think we would have had the results 10 times over. It's like some care more about the money attached to this grant than they do the research. I seriously hope none of this carries over into your research careers and scientific method. I know you have all wasted my time sucking me into thinking it will be announced early. This reminds me of people who stress so much over their grades and they miss out on life, learning and independent thinking.

Once again a non sequitur.

Edited by carlsaganism

I wish I had seen this thread during the 2017 summer session when I was writing. Some good info here, or at least enough to distract from the impending results this year. I am sure this has already been said but the NSF GRFP FAQ says to anticipate results in "Early April" . I assume this page will blow up next week. 

The maintenance trend is pretty strong.  It’s 1:30 EST so I don’t think they are going to put one up.   Reading all the review information is making me feel a little bit better.    I am a woman, no one in my department has ever won with only a handful for the university, and my subfield is stats which does get a lot of applicants.   What might kill me for broader impacts is all I have done is ran a statistics blog for three years, and given an invited public talk about my research.  My proposal does have great broader impacts so maybe that will help even it out. There is no way I am in Group 1, but I might be high enough in Group 2 to get pulled for an award.  My odds are maybe 20-40%

Edited by Bayesian1701

5 minutes ago, Bayesian1701 said:

The maintenance trend is pretty strong.  It’s 1:30 EST so I don’t think they are going to put one up.   Reading all the review information is making me feel a little bit better.    I am a woman, no one in my department has ever won with only a handful for the university, and my subfield is stats which does get a lot of applicants.   What might kill me for broader impacts is all I have done is ran a statistics blog for three years, and given an invited public talk about my research.  My proposal does have great broader impacts so maybe that will help even it out. There is no way I am in Group 1, but I might be high enough in Group 2 to get pulled for an award.  My odds are maybe 20-40%

Do they try to award people from Universities that don't usually win the award? There has been virtually no one from my university who has gotten the GRFP.... In theory, would this make my chances better or worse?

8 minutes ago, mmckenn5 said:

Do they try to award people from Universities that don't usually win the award? There has been virtually no one from my university who has gotten the GRFP.... In theory, would this make my chances better or worse?

According to this

17 hours ago, mars667 said:

The school you're attending also matters to some degree (they try to use NSF awards to spread money to good applicants at institutions with lower numbers of other NSF grants), as well as your background and demographics. 

from this post

your chances should be better.

40 minutes ago, engineerwoacause said:

Just out of curiosity, why do you say that? 

Basically like she said:

28 minutes ago, Bayesian1701 said:

The maintenance trend is pretty strong.  It’s 1:30 EST so I don’t think they are going to put one up

If they know they are going to release tomorrow why would they wait up until 9pm to advise maintenance? At that point no one but us will be checking advisories anyways.

@mars667 @mocefacdargeht regarding the university you're going to take the NSF funds to...

What if in your research statement you stated you would do said work at one University with a certain professor, but have since changed? And the University mentioned in my statement has a decent number of students who have received the award in the past, but the one I actually chose, in the end, doesn't have as many awardees....?? Any thoughts on this??

I am one of the odd-ball applicants who is not an undergrad senior nor a current grad student. 

With regard to your situation, I would guess they can only work with the information they have. That being said, only the people handing out the awards know for sure how they do it. If that post I quoted was accurate at the time, which is a big if, there is no way to know if it applies to us this season.

15 minutes ago, fallfish said:

@mars667 @mocefacdargeht regarding the university you're going to take the NSF funds to...

What if in your research statement you stated you would do said work at one University with a certain professor, but have since changed? And the University mentioned in my statement has a decent number of students who have received the award in the past, but the one I actually chose, in the end, doesn't have as many awardees....?? Any thoughts on this??

I am one of the odd-ball applicants who is not an undergrad senior nor a current grad student. 

I don't think they put too much emphasis on where you say you want to work if you're not a graduate student yet. So I wouldn't be too concerned about that. A lot more weight will be put into letters of recommendation and your statements. 

5 minutes ago, ChemGal said:

I don't think they put too much emphasis on where you say you want to work if you're not a graduate student yet. So I wouldn't be too concerned about that. A lot more weight will be put into letters of recommendation and your statements. 

Agreed. Undergraduate applicants apply before even submitting applications. I think it's understood that the chances of attending the institution you chose for your proposal are pretty iffy, unless you're already enrolled in a program.

I think the location criteria would really only come into play if you make it into quality group two, and I'd assume that it's based on the location of schools you've previously attended. 

Between stalking the posts here and making ice cream runs I am getting nothing done lol and I'm still going crazy. My senior thesis is due on monday so here's hoping the notification date comes tomorrow! If not it's gonna be a struggle to have a productive weekend....

23 minutes ago, dont_succ said:

Hmm. I'm not sure if this is a sign but the 2017 results came back up today...will be watching for the maintenance notification closely.

The 2017 results were put back sometime yesterday morning

18 hours ago, harshingig said:

Some of the stuff in this thread is ridiculous for so many reasons. So much nearly blind guessing (with so many factors involved), hype and emotions. Going through the past several pages of this thread you would think we would have had the results 10 times over. It's like some care more about the money attached to this grant than they do the research. I seriously hope none of this carries over into your research careers and scientific method. I know you have all wasted my time sucking me into thinking it will be announced early. This reminds me of people who stress so much over their grades and they miss out on life, learning and independent thinking.

Better watch out, they might censor and ban you for this..