NSF GRFP 2017-18

spectastic

7 minutes ago, OGchemist said:

So what's the likelihood that results come out tonight/tomorrow since they are "doing maintenance"?

I think the consensus is that it is very likely for the results to be released tonight/tomorrow morning. 

5 minutes ago, OGchemist said:

So what's the likelihood that results come out tonight/tomorrow since they are "doing maintenance"?

At this point I'd say 80-20 in favor of coming out tonight/tomorrow. The maintenance has been a pretty good indicator in the past, and the Tuesday-Friday trend means it would be on the right day to remain true to that trend. However, there is the slight chance they could delay it again and this is another false alarm.

11 minutes ago, nanograd said:

Okay so curious about something if anyone has any input or ideas. Since applying this fall, I have gotten married, so my last name that I applied under is changed. Will I have troubles accepting the fellowship if I am awarded? Or does it go by social security? Will NSF change my name on the awarded/HM list to my new last name?

I recently changed my name also and was able to just change it in fastlane. Not sure how they'll post anything (whether it'll be old name or new name) or if you change it now if the award would reflect it, but I don't think you should have any issues accepting. 

17 minutes ago, nanograd said:

Okay so curious about something if anyone has any input or ideas. Since applying this fall, I have gotten married, so my last name that I applied under is changed. Will I have troubles accepting the fellowship if I am awarded? Or does it go by social security? Will NSF change my name on the awarded/HM list to my new last name?

Someone in my lab got married and changed her name but on the list it still has her maiden name. I think she applied and got HM while she was still unmarried though. But I don’t think there should be an issue. It must’ve come up at some point previously so there has to be a procedure for it.

Also, congrats! :)

15 minutes ago, Volcanogirl said:

I recently changed my name also and was able to just change it in fastlane. Not sure how they'll post anything (whether it'll be old name or new name) or if you change it now if the award would reflect it, but I don't think you should have any issues accepting. 

Okay good to know! I think I will hold off on changing it in fastlane, out of superstition that they for some reason will send it back "without review" because my name doesn't match my transcripts :lol:

9 minutes ago, Behavecol said:

Someone in my lab got married and changed her name but on the list it still has her maiden name. I think she applied and got HM while she was still unmarried though. But I don’t think there should be an issue. It must’ve come up at some point previously so there has to be a procedure for it.

Also, congrats! :)

We will see if I even need to worry in the morning :D. Thank you! ^_^

5 minutes ago, orycinn said:

ok but like what time will they post it? midnight? 4am? i'm freaking out now y'all

Likely around 3am-5am EDT. Not sure what time it came out last year.

4 hours ago, rosekster said:

So you definitely can. I did two things: I contacted the main professor I had been looking to work for as well as the office for that program and explained that I had been offered this fellowship, was still interested in the school etc. It worked for me, however, I know other schools in which it didn’t work (ex one of the two in the relationship got into a school, both got NSF GRFP, asked for her to be admitted so they would both come, school said no). I didn’t end up going to that institution but I wanted to see if I could get an acceptance post NSF acceptance  

However, some unsolicited advice. People I know that have done this normally haven’t had a great time in their graduate careers. The admission process is a mutual selection process in that you pick them and they pick you. It sounds silly, but there is generally a reason they don’t think you’ll fit with the program. 

Thank you for the response. Other than the common etiquette of drafting an email, are there any templates we should follow when explaining the situation. It’s a bit complicated because I had done an reu with the prof before, and he was excited when I said I would apply but not sure if there was anything sensitive to watch out for. 

Goodluck to all tomorrow! I’ll prob wake up in the middle of the night (pst) to check! 

Because I just can't focus this week, I've put together a table of past GRFP due dates and numbers of applicants so people in the future can compare the length of time between due date and notification. Data!

Due Dates (~# applicants)

• 2019: Oct 22-Oct 26, 2018 1
  • 2018: Oct 23-Oct-27, 2017 1
  • 2017: Oct 24-Oct 28, 2016 1 (13K applicants) 2
  • 2016: Oct 26-Oct 30, 2015 3 (17K applicants) 4
  • 2015: Oct 29-Nov 4, 2014 5 (16.5K applicants) 6, 7
  • 2014: Nov 4-Nov 8, 2013 8 (14K applicants) 9, 10, 11
  • 2013: Nov 13-Nov 19, 2012 12 (13K applicants) 10, 11, 13
  • 2012: Nov 14-Nov 18, 2011 14 (13K applicants) 11
  • 2011: Nov 15-Nov 22, 2010 15 (12K applicants) 16, 17
  • 2010: Nov 2-Nov 12, 2009 18 (12K applicants) 10, 19
  • 2009: Nov 3-Nov 12, 2008 20
  • 2008: Nov 1-Nov 9, 2007 21 (10K applicants) 10, 19
  • 2007: Nov 1-Nov 13, 2006 22
  • 2006: Nov 2-Nov 9, 2005 23
  • 2005: Nov 17-Dec 10, 2004 24
  • 2004: Nov 4-Nov 6, 2003 25
  • 2003: Nov 7, 2002 26
  • 2002: Nov 7, 2001 27
  • 2001: Nov 7, 2000 28

8 minutes ago, Ecce said:

can someone catch me up to speed? So we know it's tomorrow?

We don't know for sure. But, based on previous years, the maintenance announcement signals that it will be announced the day after the maintenance. Usually between 1:00-6:00 EST

Edited by ChemGal