NSF GRFP 2017-18

spectastic

1 hour ago, EngineerAlvara said:

HM - E/VG, VG/E, E/E - Undergrad (graduated '17). 

Only bad notes were "However, the proposed research activities are not well linked to outreach."

This is surprising since I stated that I am specifically intending to bring these research activities directly to underprivileged communities in the surrounding area during a summer REU.

I guess the reviewer didn't read that far into the paragraph or doesn't value underprivileged communities as important outreach? I'm confused.

This is one of the main issues with any grant application: Reviewers take very little time reading it, and read a lot. Assume the person reading your application will take 5-10 minutes to read your entire file. Then that they will read a lot more that are really similar. 

You want your points to be as succinct and well outlined as possible. Underline things. Put them in bold. Make sure you talk about your outreach in the exact terms that the Broader Impacts document from NSF uses. 

2nd year grad, not selected: VG/VG VG/VG G/G. Not surprised, glad I had the experience of putting together and submitting a complete app (still a little salty about the rule change screwing us 2nd-years over for this year) and glad that I made it to a third reviewer. I have full funding for the next 3 years, so I'm going to be just fine. I will say that I think I could've won it if I had proposed the project that I eventually decided on for my dissertation work. It's just a shame I hadn't figured it out sooner. Oh well, c'est la vie. Congrats to everyone who was selected!!

Undergraduate, geosciences, E/VG, E/VG, E/E--selected! I have an administrative question that I'm currently hunting down: I wrote my research proposal for a project oriented towards a school that I've chosen not to attend. On the awards list my baccalaureate and current institution are my undergrad institution, but in my fastlane portal it has the school I oriented my app towards as my "organization". I'm nervous about accepting until I know for sure I can switch it to the school I'm actually going to attend---anyone have experience with this? 

Correct me if I am wrong, but the organization can be easily changed. The panel doesn't expect you to fully commit to a school that you don't even know if you got into (ya know since we wrote the apps before grad school deadlines) Also, the research proposal is not binding at all, but you will have to coordinate with your program manager. Send them an email, I'm sure they will be happy to help!!!! Congrats by the way! 

Edit: the only reason why the NSF asks about the organization school is simply for statistics. They won't take the award away if you go somewhere else or do other research other than the proposal topic. 

Edited by TK778

HM senior undergrad with VG/E, VG/VG, E/VG. They bashed my GPA quite a bit.

So I have yet to hear back from 3 of the programs I applied to. At this point in the season it's normally that you are going to get a rejection letter. Any ideas on whether it would be possible to leverage the HM into an acceptance to a program? 

Senior undergrad

E/E E/E E/VG - Selected for geosciences- marine biology! 100% did not expect to receive it, which to some extent speaks to the fact that it can be a crapshoot. I felt I had a very strong application (and was told so by many professors) but I know how qualified others are so I didn't get my hopes up. So to everyone who didn't get it- this doesn't define you as a scientist! I'm sure there are many qualified people out there who were deserving, but that's just how it goes sometimes. Congrats to everyone who got it!

2nd year grad student, E/E E/E E/VG, awarded. 

I think one of the reviewers had a few too many applications because he got my GPA and undergrad institution wrong (one I was never affiliated with), but not complaining!

I already have 2 years of funding from the NIH though and a year from a university fellowship, I’m wondering if we’re still allowed to take NSF money if we’re already funded and where that would go?

E/E E/E VG/VG Honorable Mention

Even though they still gave me high ratings, I'm very frustrated with reviewer 3. Both the first two reviewers gave very extensive and detailed comments, both explicitly referencing my background with one saying "Applicant's success in the context of his racial background, family socioeconomic challenges, and noted disabilities are immense positives toward BI and supporting this Applicant via the GRF. He has demonstrated his capacity for outreach, his motivation toward supporting underrepresented youth, and his ability to succeed despite considerable odds." and "Though the applicant has a learning disability, recommendations, gpa, and statements are supportive of a highly intelligent student who is driven in research." 

Reviewer 3 however only wrote a couple sentences about my proposal, and didn't mention my background, outreach, or make any reference to my personal statement at all. Still, this was far more positive than I was expecting so I can't complain too much.

For those who have not gotten emails (seems common for the HM crowd--I didn't get one and I'm also HM), you can email info@nsfgrfp.org and they will send it to you. I just wanted it for my own records, and because I was curious about what it would say. 

Edited by cemeterydr1ve

1 hour ago, PlayerHaterDegree said:

I think one of the reviewers had a few too many applications because he got my GPA and undergrad institution wrong (one I was never affiliated with), but not complaining!

I already have 2 years of funding from the NIH though and a year from a university fellowship, I’m wondering if we’re still allowed to take NSF money if we’re already funded and where that would go?

I would highly recommend any questions like this to be directed to your program officer. If you go to your NSF fastlane portal, on the right hand side near the bottom of the applicant info, your program manager is listed there. I would read over all of the information that you can get your hands on, formulate any questions you have, and then email them. Their job is to help you in this process! :)

First year chemistry grad student, only time applying. Awarded!!!

E/E  E/E  E/VG

Super pumped about this! Congrats to everyone who applied. This was super intense, and I know a lot of amazing people applied for this. Y'all are all awesome!

I wish I had found this forum sooner...oh well

5 hours ago, geologygal said:

Undergraduate, geosciences, E/VG, E/VG, E/E--selected! I have an administrative question that I'm currently hunting down: I wrote my research proposal for a project oriented towards a school that I've chosen not to attend. On the awards list my baccalaureate and current institution are my undergrad institution, but in my fastlane portal it has the school I oriented my app towards as my "organization". I'm nervous about accepting until I know for sure I can switch it to the school I'm actually going to attend---anyone have experience with this? 

The organization is very easily changed! I had applied saying I would go to "x" school, and then once I accepted my offer for admission to a different school, I was ablem to change it in the fast lane portal.

Congrats!

8 hours ago, geologygal said:

I had this exact problem, and it's easily remedied. All you need to do is get in contact with the grants office at the school you'll be attending, and they'll know what to do. 

6 hours ago, PlayerHaterDegree said:

In general, the NSF GRF does not allow you to take a stipend from multiple sources at the same time (though there are some exceptions). However, unless things have changed, the length of the award is 5 years with 3 years of tenured support, and I've also heard of people deferring the NSF GRF for up to one year. It might be possible for you to defer the NSF GRF for one year, then take your first two years of the NSF GRF off tenure, then take the remaining three years on tenure. This would allow you to use all of the funding available to you.

However, like a previous poster said, I would definitely recommend running this all by NSF GRFP, your university fellowship office, and your research advisor. What I've described may or may not be possible under the current rules, and, if it is possible, it may or may not be advisable.

10 hours ago, geologygal said:

From the GRFP administrative guide referenced in the acceptance email:

5ac43da5e0488_ScreenShot2018-04-03at10_54_18PM.thumb.png.fecbb73ffd8beade1c9cf7848b290f15.png

On 3/29/2018 at 6:00 PM, Sciencerocks said:

Better watch out, they might censor and ban you for this..

I wouldn't be surprised. What do you know, they announced early April just like they said. Go figure. lol

One of these children on here actually called me a hypocrite for having a mind of my own.

"The Grade cafe" says it all.

Edited by harshingig

On March 29, 2018 at 8:00 PM, Sciencerocks said:

Better watch out, they might censor and ban you for this..

Yeah, just putting this out there... We don't censor and ban for pretty much anything. Obvious single post troll accounts being the notable exception, as those fall under "spam". Overt personal attacks and outing people are some of the only things, and those get a warning and are not usually censored. 

Given that one of the biggest complaints about moderation is that we don't censor enough, I find this comment quite surprising.

On 4/3/2018 at 8:19 AM, Eigen said:

This is one of the main issues with any grant application: Reviewers take very little time reading it, and read a lot. Assume the person reading your application will take 5-10 minutes to read your entire file. Then that they will read a lot more that are really similar. 

You want your points to be as succinct and well outlined as possible. Underline things. Put them in bold. Make sure you talk about your outreach in the exact terms that the Broader Impacts document from NSF uses. 

This is one of the best pieces of advice across all platforms. The bolding and the underlining is a strategy I think I'm going to use in future grants as well. Knowing the reviewers have so little time, your project needs to be defined quickly, and points made clearly. As one of my advisors described it, "The Reader should be able to read just the first sentence of each paragraph from start to end and know what your project is, how you plan to do it, and why they should give you money to do it." Above all, the process is still a crapshoot because one person's E/E and another's G/VG aren't objectively comparable.  

2nd year grad awarded in Materials Engineering!

Thought I'd add because I originally applied as a senior undergrad two years ago and didn't get it (rushed the app in a weekend and pulled a last-minute all-nighter like an idiot); applied again this year with my wits together (wrote the app over three weeks). Could be helpful for those reapplying.

Before/After review takaways --

2016: VG/VG, E/VG, VG/VG -- critiqued my proposal for lack of proper novelty/focus/scope, and stressed the need for dissemination (read: pubs) and outreach in the broader impacts section. Reviewers liked my international research and "impressive academic record."

Changes for reapplication -- emphasized publications and presentations, wrote a daring/cutting edge proposal (since now I know what I'm talking about), got up to my neck in volunteering and outreach and stuffed it all into my personal statement.

2018: E/E, E/E, VG/E -- no negative remarks. Reviewers liked my ~5 years of research (from freshman year), the fact that my proposal was in line with my expertise (aligned with my subfields and technical training), my international research, and my various leadership/volunteering engagements.

I also used bolding and underlining (the second time around) to make sure it was easy to skim. I would recommend this as well.

Congrats to all who got it, and good luck to those reapplying or seeking other fellowships!

Can anyone comment on the usage of both bolding/underlining/italicizing? I have heard somepeople swear by it, but it seems unclear to bold some stuff, italicize others, and then sometimes underline. All of them are used for emphasis, but there is no rule (to my knowledge) as to which to use where. Because using different types seems like it can be confusing, I stuck to just bolding stuff within my statements for that reason.

Edited by GoldenDog

On 4/5/2018 at 5:38 PM, healthgeographer said:

Are any other awardees overwhelmed by the next steps of accepting and moving forward?

Yes, because this grant allowed me to get admission from a program that was otherwise going to reject me (made it to the final round of cuts, then didn't make it ultimately), and another that I never even applied to. I went from preparing to attend a "backup" school to having the choice between multiple dream schools overnight. Which I'm so grateful for, but now I have a lot of big decisions to make that I never thought would ever be in the cards for me.

1 hour ago, GoldenDog said:

Can anyone comment on the usage of both bolding/underlining/italicizing? I have heard somepeople swear by it, but it seems unclear to bold some stuff, italicize others, and then sometimes underline. All of them are used for emphasis, but there is no rule (to my knowledge) as to which to use where. Because using different types seems like it can be confusing, I stuck to just bolding stuff within my statements for that reason.

I would pick one method and stick to it-- I prefer bolding since it sticks out a lot more.
Bolding what you want to get across is super important-- my review 3's comment was essentially just restating what I bolded (which worked in my favor).