NSF GRFP 2017-18

spectastic

Holy crap I actually got it... I had pretty much given up hope after getting rejected from the first round of NDSEG. I don't even know how to process this.

Edit: Wow, one reviewer gave me a fair but I still won somehow. Overall scores were VG/F, E/E, E/VG

Edited by EllipticPDE

I didn’t get it either...the negative comments were that I didn’t have any publications or presentations, though I mentioned that I was in the processes of writing up a pub, and that I had limited actual completed broader impacts.  But my third reviewer said I had a promising future! So that was nice! 

Congrats to everyone that got it and best wishes to everyone else that didn’t.

Geosciences: E/E, E/VG,VG/G

The G person wanted me to give a timeline of my research (how much time it would take for each step) and then wanted me to write about the implementations and dissemination of the broader impacts.

My favorite reviewer totally gets me "I have always observed that the students who are involved in research work ignore course work and do not care much about GPS" (obvious typo for GPA).

I am an undergraduate and even the VG/G person had some great things to say. I was worried about my GPA and that wasn't an issue for any of them. 

E/E, E/E, E/E, award offered!

I've been lurking this forum nervously ever since August. I'm a 2nd year, but I applied before as an undergrad and didn't even come close. I'm so honored and excited! This is the best possible news I could get after a year working through really difficult personal problems.

1 hour ago, WhoEvenCares said:

I just don't understand life anymore. I did everything they asked for. I had the GPA, the GRE, the publications, the Ivy League school, 3 fantastic recommendation letters, one from a big name in the field. It isn't like I'm some hopeful with crap scores and no publications hoping to get in. I can't believe I'm in the pool of people who don't get into grad school with everything that I did. I sacrificed every day of my undergrad to get this. I ended friendships because they were sapping the time I needed to put in to make sure I got into grad school. I have cried at least once a week for the past four years slaving over this. I didn't even get into this Ivy League school like all the legitimate people who actually deserved to...I transferred here. I just don't know why the world keeps punishing me. I read the acceptances and rejections list that people post on this forum for grad programs and all I see are "I can't believe it, I finally accomplished my childhood dream of getting into school/program X" and I've never felt that way in my entire life. Why can't things go my way for once? Why can't I be a legitimate success like all those people? What more do you want from me, universe, I've done everything already!!!!! The person I was dating got into every single school I've ever wanted to go to, so I dumped them. Now I'm left without a grad school, a partner, or a future. You win life. I give up. I've started applying to dead end jobs making minimum wage because I can't keep convincing myself I might actually be somebody some day when the world keeps laughing at all my efforts. Four years wasted. I just can't do it anymore. 

I also had a stellar profile. Multiple publications, excellent letters, 5 years of devotion to research, internships. But I didn’t get it. Your profile was prob even better than mine. Although I’m extremely sad and disappointed too (rejected from 6/7) schools, this rejection isn’t the end of the world. We’re very bright students, and being rejected just means that there’s something else out there that’s better for us. Yes, it’s sad to see that we would probably be excellent contributors to science, and that there are many who get awarded but have average phd work. But it’s their loss, we’re great and we’re meant to do something greater. I hope you find some positivity and light from this rejection. For me, I like to think of it as a blessing in disguise. Phd life is hard, and I was looking for reasons to get out of that path. I hope you can find some time to reflect on all the other choices that you have. For me, I tend to go to Silicon Valley, where career growth and new challenges will help me develop. Goodluck, and I hope you find something greater where one year from now.... you’ll be like ‘that rejection was the best thing that could’ve happened’.

One of the best things my reviewer stated was that from a young age, I already knew I wanted to leave a mark in the history books, and I showed it. This person helped me realize that I’m meant to do something bigger and better. I’m glad I didn’t win. I will be able to finally focus on something bigger. 

Edited by Mavjax

Does anyone know what it means if they ask you to apply again next year with the same app? I just found it odd since I didn't get HM but the reviews were nice and the email mentioned that...

I got wrecked by one reviewer who "didnt think I understood broader impacts." So I guess the bad reviewer thing is true, although I think I would have been on the fence in any case. Can't even be mad especially since the other two reviewers were friendly and informative, just have to laugh it off and move on!

E/VG E/VG VG/F "not recommended"

Congrats to all winners and HMs! And if you were unsuccessful, eat some cookies and go back to sleep!

Edited by thenewkidaw71