NSF GRFP 2017-18

spectastic

Made an account just to reply.

E/E/E/E/E/VG. Not awarded. 

I got knocked by reviewer 1 who said that I didn’t have a very good plan to share my research with others. Also said that I had a lack of rationale for why my proposed research would be of greater benefit than other available methods. 

I can’t be mad though. Aside from those comments my reviews were pretty stellar (and apparently my letter writers think I’m pretty capable, one of which who is now my PI).

Guess I’ll be applying for other stuff next year! ??‍♂️

Also congrats to everyone who got it! Celebration is in order!

VG/VG, G/VG, VG/VG. Not Awarded. 

My reviewers said my methodology could benefit from more clarification and detail, and including contingency plans if things didn't go as expected. Which I was struggling with because of the space limits and have since worked on for my written exam. Oh well. :(

At least my reviewers said my application was good overall, all had good things to say about my broader impacts, that I've demonstrated success in the research environment and my research will make definite impacts. 

Congrats to y'all that got it!

I got E/E, E/E, VG/G and did not get it as a senior undergrad. My reviews were rly great and without criticism even the last one. The last reviewer gave only good comments probably just didn't think I was "stellar". 

At least I have this knowledge for when I reapply!

Didn’t get it.. pretty bummed.

A reviewer said I didn’t put the GPA in the GPA section. There is one??

Same reviewer told me I summarized my research goals but didn’t expand.. Guy killed me..

Edited by vall718

Congrats everyone! I didn't get awarded with E/VG E/VG E/F. 2nd year grad student, but i already have a fellowship so I'm not too upset. I knew broader impacts would kill me. Reviewers loved the intellectual merit portion of my app. Atleast I know that my letter writers (including PI) thinks I'm an excellent researcher and a visionary!

Edited by nanograd

Not awarded.  G/G/G/G/E/VG.  Senior undergrad.  Got knocked for having a project that was too focused on a narrow application and not having any publications. I am applying as a undergraduate senior graduating early on an independent project  so I don’t have any publications yet.   I had two years basically and all I had was a submitted one.   Also knocked because the plan wasn’t detailed enough.  I guess I need to reapply as a second year for NSF GRFP and put in applications elsewhere as well for other fellowships.  I guess I’ll be stuck teaching likely though for all five years.  It’s  not that my comments said I was stupid or not qualified but I feel like my two good/good reviewers didn’t get the point of my research.  It is narrow and weird and occupies a tiny niche, but it is my niche.  It’s my baby and I want to continue to watch it grow up.  I guess they expected something more theoretical and typical instead.  I have the nagging suspicion that they weren’t statisticians or maybe even mathematicians. Now to sign my apartment lease and commit to my chosen program.  

Senior UG.  E/E/E/G/VG/E --> HM

I am proud, but still disappointed.  A HM is just so close and I didn't apply with the intention of aiming for HM. My GPA is 3.8+ in engineering and I have strong research experience and accolades.  A very good friend of mine also a senior UG in engineering got awarded, still great research experience and we have similar CV strengths, but her GPA is < 3.3.

However, I know that a LOT comes down to chance (i.e., variability between application years and who your reviewers are), and not receiving the award does NOT in any way indicate that you are not, or will be, a superb scientist.  The application pool is so competitive, and a lot of people who don't get awarded are so deserving (just a reminder :) ).

I am very happy for my friend who got it, who personally deserves the extra funding more than I do because she has student loans she can now pay off, even as I am disappointed in myself.  But I know I will move on from my disappointment.  It's perfectly reasonable to look forward to getting awards, and to be disappointed when you work so hard and don't get one, especially if you feel like your work is up to scratch with your peers who get awarded.  But if you go into grad school for solely the prestige, you are in the wrong field.

35 minutes ago, Delia_eng said:

Senior UG.  E/E/E/G/VG/E --> HM

I am proud, but still disappointed.  A HM is just so close and I didn't apply with the intention of aiming for HM. My GPA is 3.8+ in engineering and I have strong research experience and accolades.  A very good friend of mine also a senior UG in engineering got awarded, still great research experience and we have similar CV strengths, but her GPA is < 3.3.

However, I know that a LOT comes down to chance (i.e., variability between application years and who your reviewers are), and not receiving the award does NOT in any way indicate that you are not, or will be, a superb scientist.  The application pool is so competitive, and a lot of people who don't get awarded are so deserving (just a reminder :) ).

I am very happy for my friend who got it, who personally deserves the extra funding more than I do because she has student loans she can now pay off, even as I am disappointed in myself.  But I know I will move on from my disappointment.  It's perfectly reasonable to look forward to getting awards, and to be disappointed when you work so hard and don't get one, especially if you feel like your work is up to scratch with your peers who get awarded.  But if you go into grad school for solely the prestige, you are in the wrong field.

That' crazy.. It really is chance and maybe a little bit of luck on the reviewers.

My GPA is 3.58, and 1 reviewer said that I don't show enough academic success, while another said it wasn't clear what the GPA was in the transcript (like that is something I can control).

Like other people have said, this does not define us as a person or in our careers.

VG/E VG/VG E/E. I don’t get it. The reviewers were incredibly nice and had nothing terrible to say. They actually seemed like they we’re rooting for me and took the time to be detailed about what they liked. Ugh. What a total bum out 

G/G, E/E, E/E, honorable mention as a second-year Ph.D. and only time applying. First reviewer seemed a little confused but the other two were exceedingly kind.

I didn't receive an email yet either...?

Edited by polyglot17

E/E  VG/E  VG/E --> HM

Two of my reviewers said I didn't address potential pitfalls or alternative strategies (but this is very NIH-style?) and I had literally no white space left on my proposal lol.

Can someone explain to me how much of a boost HM is on your resume? When I apply for other grants or postdocs, will this be a decent boost or what?

Also congrats to those who received it :) For those who didn't, there are always more fellowships out there to apply for !

Edited by bananabread211

VG/VG/E/G/G/G Senior undergrad, not awarded. The reviewers had lots of nice things to say about my accomplishments and promises of future success. Congrats to everyone- it's been great chatting with you!

Not awarded. 

Reviewers honestly make me question why I even thought I had a chance. GPA was bashed a bit, even though I explain why - they thought it wasn't a reasonable explanation apparently. There wasn't a whole lot I could change for next time since I can't change the past. Oh well. At least I got into a good school with 4 years of funding already in the bag, would have been nice to get this too though. 

For intellectual merit one reviewer said and I quote "good background". Thanks for the insight...

Congrats to all who won!!

E/E/VG/E/E/VG - 2nd year grad, awarded!!!!!!!!!!!!!

only slightly negative part is one reviewer said i didn't explain my broader impacts enough: "That is rather unfortunate as a broader impact of the proposed work can easily be envisioned."

i'm honestly so blown away by this - i thought my application was bad and i had no chance. well, anything's possible even in this crap shoot of a system!

Edited by blvck_glitter__

HM - E/VG, VG/E, E/E - Undergrad (graduated '17). 

Only bad notes were "However, the proposed research activities are not well linked to outreach."

This is surprising since I stated that I am specifically intending to bring these research activities directly to underprivileged communities in the surrounding area during a summer REU.

I guess the reviewer didn't read that far into the paragraph or doesn't value underprivileged communities as important outreach? I'm confused.

3 hours ago, vall718 said:

Can anyone confirm if we had a GPA section on the application? 

One reviewer said I didn't have it filled out.. I believe it doesn't exist.

Really? I vividly remember there being a section to input GPA next to each university attended for UG and Grad... You may have missed it :/