NSF GRFP 2017-18

spectastic

11 minutes ago, ChemGal said:

Can I ask you all for some advice? I have a big exam on Tuesday morning (~30% of my final grade). If results come out on Tuesday, would you wait to open the results until after or do you think the anticipation would distract you during the exam?  

The anticipation would absolutely distract me.  Has it already been hard for you to get work done with the existing anticipation (like it has been for me)?  If so, it will most likely be worse when the results come out.

On 3/25/2018 at 5:31 PM, Bayesian1701 said:

So the best thing I can think of to do right now is to figure out the processing time,  add 5 business days excluding holidays for the various delays (1 government shutdown,  2 weather closures,  and 2 days of extra processing of the hurricane-affected applications.  I don't think there were any major delays (at least not multiple ones) in 2014, 2015, 2016, or 2017, but let me know if there is anything you know of.

I came up with two methods:  one assuming a linear relationship between number and processing time,  and another which is basically an average processing time.

2014:  100 business days of processing,  so 0.007 days per applicant

2015: 100 business days of processing,  so 0.006 days per applicant

2016: 104 business days of processing, so  0.006 days per applicant

2017: 98 business days of processing, some 0.007 days per applicant

Applicant Based:  So let's say 0.0065 days per applicant assume 14k applicants, which makes 91 days with no delays and 96 with delays which was March 11 so rounded to March 13,  but that didn't happen.

Pattern Based:  Let's assume it takes approximately 100 business days rounded to the nearest Tuesday/Friday to release winners, we get 105 days of processing after adjusting for the delays, giving a date of 3/26 which is a Monday so round to Tuesday and get 3/27, this Tuesday.  

So this indicates it is coming very soon but the error on this is probably plus or minus a week.  

On 3/7/2018 at 9:54 AM, GoldenDog said:

I think if you look closely at solicitations and old grfp website, it seems like the first application due dates for the application were as follows:

• 2018: Oct 22
  • 2017: Oct 23 (13K applicants)
  • 2016: Oct 26 (17K applicants)
  • 2015: Oct 29 (16.5K applicants)
  • 2014: Nov 4 (14K applicants)
  • 2013: Nov 13
  • 2012: Nov 14
  • 2011: Nov 15
  • 2010: Nov  2
  • 2009: Nov 3 

If I was to guess, probably it'll be about the same time as last year. Also, the 2017-2018 are on the same solicitation so probably review process runs the same. This with Hurricane Irma and that Saturday-Tuesday Govt shutdown. If I was going to conclude anything, its that this type of analysis isn't super helpful or healthy ha ha. 

2 hours ago, jmillar said:

Procrastinating pretty hard here today, so I've compiled a list of release dates since 2001:

• 2007: Friday, March 17
  • 2016: Tuesday, March 29
  • 2015: Tuesday, March 31
  • 2014: Tuesday, April 1
  • 2013: Friday, March 29
  • 2012: Friday, March 20
  • 2011: Tuesday, April 5
  • 2010: Tuesday, April 6
  • 2009: Friday, April 10
  • 2008: Tuesday, April 1
  • 2007: Friday, March 23
  • 2006: Thursday, March 30
  • 2005: Saturday, April 9
  • 2004: Thursday, March 18
  • 2003: Friday, April 4
  • 2002: Friday, March 15
  • 2001: Tuesday, March 20

References: GradCafe, CC 2006, CC 2007, CC 2008, CC Past List

1 hour ago, grilledcheese1 said:

Will this be the latest release date in the past 17 years, as the application due date used to be later?

Putting this altogether and estimating  (just adding and subtracting based on already calculated distances) for years I haven’t counted,  this is the longest wait time since 2009 (108 days).  We are on day 109.

12 minutes ago, april_first said:

service announcement was just posted!!!

I don't see anything.  Assuming based on username it's an April Fool's joke.

Edited by grilledcheese1

1 hour ago, ChemGal said:

Can I ask you all for some advice? I have a big exam on Tuesday morning (~30% of my final grade). If results come out on Tuesday, would you wait to open the results until after or do you think the anticipation would distract you during the exam?  

What course if you don't mind me asking, i'm a chem grad student? If it were me, I would get up extra early, study for a few hours until I felt pretty good about the material, open the results ~1 hour before the exam, and then take a walk to process before sitting down to the exam. I think knowing either way and having a bit of time in the morning will help you to focus during the exam. 

4 minutes ago, nanograd said:

What course if you don't mind me asking, i'm a chem grad student? If it were me, I would get up extra early, study for a few hours until I felt pretty good about the material, open the results ~1 hour before the exam, and then take a walk to process before sitting down to the exam. I think knowing either way and having a bit of time in the morning will help you to focus during the exam. 

It's an exam for biological chemistry. Luckily, I had a pretty open weekend so I've been able to study the material. That being said, a lot of the exam is based on memorization (enzyme names and chemical reactions), so I'm a little nervous that my brain will panic and I won't be able to recall the information. Although I know that I'll have another chance to submit in graduate school, I'm mostly nervous to see what my reviewers think about my proposal.  But, I think you have a good point. My exam isn't until 10:30, so I should have time to process before I write the exam. 

1 hour ago, grilledcheese1 said:

The anticipation would absolutely distract me.  Has it already been hard for you to get work done with the existing anticipation (like it has been for me)?  If so, it will most likely be worse when the results come out.

I think you're right. I'll definitely be thinking about my inbox if I don't open it beforehand. 

4 hours ago, ChemGal said:

I think you're right. I'll definitely be thinking about my inbox if I don't open it beforehand. 

You should definitely check. If you get it you’ll be so confident you’ll do awesome on the test. If you don’t you’ll be like I better have my shit together and stay motivated. Not checking would kill my concentration. 

Edited by Aplomb.Élan

27 minutes ago, Mavjax said:

If we win grfp, does anyone know the process to appeal a college admission rejection?Is it possible?

So you definitely can. I did two things: I contacted the main professor I had been looking to work for as well as the office for that program and explained that I had been offered this fellowship, was still interested in the school etc. It worked for me, however, I know other schools in which it didn’t work (ex one of the two in the relationship got into a school, both got NSF GRFP, asked for her to be admitted so they would both come, school said no). I didn’t end up going to that institution but I wanted to see if I could get an acceptance post NSF acceptance  

However, some unsolicited advice. People I know that have done this normally haven’t had a great time in their graduate careers. The admission process is a mutual selection process in that you pick them and they pick you. It sounds silly, but there is generally a reason they don’t think you’ll fit with the program. 

21 minutes ago, carlsaganism said:

I don't feel it; likely next week maybe.

I would be surprised if awards are not announced by Friday. Especially, if it goes beyond next Tuesday, since it appears that would be the latest announcement of this century.

Being that we will probably receive results either this tuesday or friday, does anyone know how we receive them; do we actually get an email or is it through checking the applicant status page? 

57 minutes ago, vall718 said:

Someone should call.. if they still give the “early April” answer, then we can say “it’s already early April”. 

Sounds like they’ll have to change the answer to something else.

I just called and they said "we only know that it should be early april, sorry." 

1 hour ago, Mavjax said:

If we win grfp, does anyone know the process to appeal a college admission rejection?Is it possible?

You should be able to because for me my rejections have been because there is no funding  or they have already given it to other students. Your POI might feel overloaded and not want to take on another student, then maybe check with other professors.