MFA 2018 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

Xxanderr

39 minutes ago, kimala said:

Hi uhhh Hi! I haven't heard anything either. I'm reapplying to the program and last year I didn't hear a reply until May 26th, granted I was waitlisted for the program. I emailed the program twice last week and I still haven't gotten a reply. This program drives me nuts because they send out letters super late, but I still really want to go to it :blink:.  But hey at least we have each other.  

My gosh, thanks for your response, it does really relax me a little bit to have kind of a date... Anyways, as I'm an international applicant I won't be able to wait that much (visa issues), so I'll probably wait until the end of this month at the most :(

15 minutes ago, Hi! said:

My gosh, thanks for your response, it does really relax me a little bit to have kind of a date... Anyways, as I'm an international applicant I won't be able to wait that much (visa issues), so I'll probably wait until the end of this month at the most :(

Oh no :( well email them and tell them your situation, maybe they'll have a more accurate date. Last year they were changing over their application software, so they informed us that results would come out later than previous years, it nearly drove me insane. Let me know what you decide to do. Good luck.

7 minutes ago, kimala said:

Oh no :( well email them and tell them your situation, maybe they'll have a more accurate date. Last year they were changing over their application software, so they informed us that results would come out later than previous years, it nearly drove me insane. Let me know what you decide to do. Good luck.

I read about that application software change, but I wished that it meant that this year they were going to be able to do it earlier :P I do feel myself going insane XD I'll let you know for sure, good luck to you too!!! :D

Hi guys, I had 2 admission offers:

MFA Interdisciplinary Studies at Simon Fraser Univerisity: 2000$ funding for the 1st year and the annual tuition fee is 7500$. Deadline to accept the offer: April 10

MFA Documentary Media at Ryerson Univerity: 4000$ funding for the 1st year and the annual tuition fee is 19000$. Also applied for 15000$ Ontario Graduate Scholarship(OGS) for this program. Deadline to accept the offer: April 20

I accepted my first offer and rejected the second one yesterday( since there was no news about OGS results) and write in the explanations that I could not afford to pay the tuition. However, today I received an email from the director of the second program that I have received OGS and she asked whether I am still interested in the program.

Do you have any suggestions about this situation?:wacko:

Edited by Sahar.ea

7 minutes ago, Sahar.ea said:

Hi guys, I had 2 admission offers:

MFA Interdisciplinary Studies at Simon Fraser Univerisity: 2000$ funding for the 1st year and the annual tuition fee is 7500$. Deadline to accept the offer: April 10

MFA Documentary Media at Ryerson Univerity: 4000$ funding for the 1st year and the annual tuition fee is 19000$. Also applied for 15000$ Ontario Graduate Scholarship(OGS) for this program. Deadline to accept the offer: April 20

I accepted my first offer and rejected the second one yesterday( since there was no news about OGS results) and write in the explanations that I could not afford to pay the tuition. However, today I received an email from the director of the second program that I have received the OGS and she asked whether I am still interested in the program?

Do you have any suggestions about this situation?:wacko:

With the second one you would have all the tuition covered, whereas in the one you already accepted you would have to pay the difference.

If I were you, I would check both programs and see which one fits you the most and then decide. Consider the prestige of the school as well and the place where it's located. Even if you already accepted the other one, you would only lose the fee you paid when accepting it, so it wouldn't be too terrible.

Good luck with your decision!! :)

11 minutes ago, Hi! said:

With the second one you would have all the tuition covered, whereas in the one you already accepted you would have to pay the difference.

If I were you, I would check both programs and see which one fits you the most and then decide. Consider the prestige of the school as well and the place where it's located. Even if you already accepted the other one, you would only lose the fee you paid when accepting it, so it wouldn't be too terrible.

Good luck with your decision!! :)

Thanks for your response. Actually, the overall ranking of the first university is 250-300 and the second one's is 800-1000 and this makes my decision even harder☹. 

1 hour ago, Sahar.ea said:

Thanks for your response. Actually, the overall ranking of the first university is 250-300 and the second one's is 800-1000 and this makes my decision even harder☹. 

Then maybe you already made the best decision ;).

Thinkabout it during the weekend and check reviews (maybe you can try and contact who are into the programs, they might be able to guide you better), you can answer them on Monday after you have given it a proper thought :D

15 hours ago, Sahar.ea said:

Some salient questions for picking a program are Which program is the most conducive to the production of my best work? and Which program will maximize my prospects for post-graduation success?

Prestige might be relevant to the latter, but you should distinguish art-world prestige from overall prestige, to which your post addresses. Besides, ranking methodologies become more suspect as the purported subject they're ranking becomes wider in scope; ranking an institution "overall" is much harder than ranking an institution's art program.

So it seems the QS rankings should play no role in your decision making. Consulting your teachers would be a start. Good luck!

Edited by æsthetics

8 hours ago, carafed said:

Hey, 

If you had to choose between cornell and rutgers which would you pick and why?? 

Thnx 

what is the funding situation from each like? both great schools, though cornell is ivy. However, living in Ithaca can be rough especially during the winter and rutgers has a great proximity to new york. both great! I'd let the funding decide. 

So I just received news that I got into RISD off the waitlist. Awesome news, but really throws a wrench into my current plans. Providence would be much, much easier to afford and move to, and RISD's program is obviously phenomenal. The (estimated) scholarship/assistantship/fellowship offer isn't too far off from Pratt's, and RISD is about $10k cheaper than Pratt overall, so off the top of my head I think it would be cheaper to go to RISD. 

Ugh. This experience has been extremely stressful. Not complaining, just venting.

First Time applying

Applied to 8 schools with sculpture portfolio

Yale-rejected

Bard-rejected

VCU-rejected

UCLA-rejected

Rutgers-rejected

SAIC- interviewed and accepted but declined offer

Hunter-Interviewed and accepted

Columbia University-Interviewed, wait listed and accepted last week

Currently trying to decide between Hunter and Columbia.  Trying to crunch all the numbers and see if it makes sense to go into this kinda of debt for Columbia.  My gut instinct is telling me to go for it.  Hunter seems like good program with good faculty, but the facilities for sculpture seem lacking.  Not for metal working facilities.  Also Hunter seems more geared toward painters.  I was much more interested in the student work I saw at Columbia than the student work at Hunter.  To be fair Hunter's new building is really nice, and the studios seem great, and I really enjoyed the interview, but I'm more excited about Columbia, the mentor week, and the faculty and the peers I'd be working with.  Tough decision to make, but I'm leaning toward Columbia...any advice from Columbia or Hunter people?

Anyone out there hear anything from Tyler School of Art (Temple)? I applied for their Fibers and Materials Studies program (MFA), I was never contacted but I happened to check my application status today and saw that I am on the wait list. Exciting news!! However, I am confused by the complete lack of communication... 

I'm curious to hear other people's experiences with Tyler?

49 minutes ago, drawing water said:

First Time applying

Yale-rejected

Bard-rejected

VCU-rejected

UCLA-rejected

Rutgers-rejected

Currently trying to decide between Hunter and Columbia.  Trying to crunch all the numbers and see if it makes sense to go into this kinda of debt for Columbia.  My gut instinct is telling me to go for it.  Hunter seems like good program with good faculty, but the facilities for sculpture seem lacking.  Not for metal working facilities.  Also Hunter seems more geared toward painters.  I was much more interested in the student work I saw at Columbia than the student work at Hunter.  To be fair Hunter's new building is really nice, and the studios seem great, and I really enjoyed the interview, but I'm more excited about Columbia, the mentor week, and the faculty and the peers I'd be working with.  Tough decision to make, but I'm leaning toward Columbia...any advice from Columbia or Hunter people?

Go where you are more excited. I was also excited after the interview at Columbia and am now on the waitlist for New Genres. I accepted my offer at Pratt but was torn between there and SVA for similar reasons. The student work at Columbia is what had me the most excited, as well as how they structure their mentor program. 

52 minutes ago, drawing water said:

First Time applying

Yale-rejected

Bard-rejected

VCU-rejected

UCLA-rejected

Rutgers-rejected

columbia is a great program but hunter is also great and less expensive. my goal with my mfa was to graduate debt free. it's great to go to an ivy league school but is 130,000$ of debt worth it? i'm not sure. 

On 4/19/2018 at 1:13 PM, Hi! said:

I read about that application software change, but I wished that it meant that this year they were going to be able to do it earlier :P I do feel myself going insane XD I'll let you know for sure, good luck to you too!!! :D

I called the department this morning to get an estimate of when they'll send out decisions. The person on the phone said that the department will try to send out decisions during the first two weeks of May. I don't know if that effects your school decision making, but I just wanted to share that information. 

26 minutes ago, kimala said:

I called the department this morning to get an estimate of when they'll send out decisions. The person on the phone said that the department will try to send out decisions during the first two weeks of May. I don't know if that effects your school decision making, but I just wanted to share that information. 

Thank you very much!!! I do really appreciate this information. I'll try and wait for a little longer but if it's going to take them that long, my advisor might recommend me to take the admission I already got.

What are you going to do? :)

17 minutes ago, Hi! said:

Thank you very much!!! I do really appreciate this information. I'll try and wait for a little longer but if it's going to take them that long, my advisor might recommend me to take the admission I already got.

What are you going to do? :)

I'm waitlisted for the other school applied to, so I guess I'm just going to have to wait for both schools at the moment. I expected this to happen though, hopefully they'll send out decisions earlier than last year. That's all I can hope for. 

On 4/23/2018 at 2:12 PM, AngryHarold said:

So I just received news that I got into RISD off the waitlist. Awesome news, but really throws a wrench into my current plans. Providence would be much, much easier to afford and move to, and RISD's program is obviously phenomenal. The (estimated) scholarship/assistantship/fellowship offer isn't too far off from Pratt's, and RISD is about $10k cheaper than Pratt overall, so off the top of my head I think it would be cheaper to go to RISD. 

Ugh. This experience has been extremely stressful. Not complaining, just venting.

Go to RISD, you won't regret it.  Their faculty are AMAZING, Providence is AMAZING to live for 2 years.  Good luck and enjoy!! :)

1 hour ago, kimala said:

I'm waitlisted for the other school applied to, so I guess I'm just going to have to wait for both schools at the moment. I expected this to happen though, hopefully they'll send out decisions earlier than last year. That's all I can hope for. 

I hope you get good news soon. I wish you the best of the lucks!!!?

7 hours ago, Snoozi said:

Go to RISD, you won't regret it.  Their faculty are AMAZING, Providence is AMAZING to live for 2 years.  Good luck and enjoy!! :)

yea, everything about RISD (besides the price tag, but Pratt is even more) seems great. i'm having a convo with one of the program directors this week, so i'm expecting to get a bit more clarity about what to expect if i decide on RISD. i'd feel awful about turning down Pratt after all of this, but the living expenses in NY just seem to be an irreconcilable hurdle for me. i'll have to see what my financial aid package looks like with RISD before i can make a decision. 

did you go to RISD? any info i can get would be welcome. 

8 hours ago, kimala said:

I guess you have the chance this year! My friend sent a email to them for her decision, then they just rejected her at once.

Best wish for you and also for me TAT

16 hours ago, anwley said:

I guess you have the chance this year! My friend sent a email to them for her decision, then they just rejected her at once.

Best wish for you and also for me TAT

Thank you for sharing I wish you good luck! Let us know what you find out.